New Reports Prove Multivitamins are a 'Waste' of Money

RackMaster

Nasty-Dirty-Canuck
SOF Support
I consider this groundbreaking and I hope governments use it to educate the masses about this huge drain on peoples bank accounts and lives in general. I know of a lot of people that reach for vitamins instead of buying/cooking/eating quality food to begin with. Everyone wants a quick miracle fix but there isn't one. Living a balanced life is all that's needed; eat right, get exercise and get lots of sleep.

Multivitamins a ‘waste’ of money for general population, reports suggest
Reuters

Published Tuesday, Dec. 17 2013, 7:52 AM EST

Last updated Tuesday, Dec. 17 2013, 11:52 AM EST

102 comments

Taking a multivitamin every day doesn’t seem to ward off thinking and memory problems. Nor will it prevent further heart disease or death among people who have already had a heart attack.

Those findings come from two reports published Monday in the Annals of Internal Medicine. The studies represent the latest in a growing body of evidence suggesting the popular supplements probably aren’t doing most users a lot of good.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

“People over time and particularly people in the United States have been led to believe that vitamin and mineral supplements will make them healthier, and they’re looking for a magic pill,” Dr. Cynthia Mulrow said.

But such a pill doesn’t exist, said Mulrow, a senior deputy editor at the journal who co-wrote an editorial published with the new research.

“People . . . should be active, should not (overeat), should avoid excessive alcohol and should not be spending money on these pills, these vitamins and minerals,” she told Reuters Health.

The studies follow a review of earlier research published online last month. It found multivitamins had no effect on heart disease and possibly a small effect on cancer risk, but only among men.

To look at whether vitamins affect thinking and memory skills, researchers randomly assigned about 6,000 older male doctors to take either a standard multivitamin or vitamin-free placebo as part of a larger men’s health study. Then they gave the men up to four memory tests over the next 12 years.

Howard Sesso from Brigham and Women’s Hospital in Boston and his colleagues found no cognitive differences between the vitamin and placebo groups at any time point. Nor did scores on the memory tests drop any faster among men in one group versus the other.

The second new study included both men and women who’d had a heart attack. About 1,700 of them were randomly assigned to take supplements – this time high doses of vitamins and minerals – or placebo pills.

Over an average of four and a half years, 27 per cent of people taking vitamins died or had another heart attack or other cardiovascular problem. That compared to 30 per cent of participants taking placebos – a difference that could have been due to chance.

People in that study had to take six vitamin pills a day and many weren’t so good about sticking to that regimen, researchers led by Dr. Gervasio Lamas of the Mount Sinai Medical Center in Miami Beach, Florida, wrote. That could have influenced the results.

“As of now, there is no need to be taking multivitamins and multiminerals to prevent heart disease and there is extensive evidence on that,” Lamas told Reuters Health.

“For the general population who (is healthy) and they are taking vitamins because they are thinking that somehow the vitamins are going to make them do better, people are entitled to waste their money in any way that they like,” he said.

Americans spent $28-billion on supplements in 2010, Mulrow and her colleagues noted.

Neither study found side effects tied to multivitamin use. So people probably aren’t hurting themselves by taking multivitamins, especially in standard doses, researchers said.

Sesso said because of the possible cancer-related benefits tied to multivitamins, they are still worth considering – in particular for people who may not get enough vitamins in their diet.

A prior study by his team found an 8 per cent lower risk of cancer among men assigned to take multivitamins, as well as a lower risk of cataracts.

“We really need to manage our expectations about why we’re taking multivitamins,” Duffy MacKay, vice president of scientific and regulatory affairs at the Council for Responsible Nutrition (CRN), said.

CRN is a Washington, D.C.-based trade group that represents dietary supplement manufacturers and ingredient suppliers.

He said the main reasons people report talking multivitamins are for overall health and wellness and to fill nutrient gaps.

Research shows Americans often don’t get all recommended nutrients from their diets, and that a multivitamin helps fill those gaps, MacKay told Reuters Health.

“That’s reason alone that a multivitamin should be consumed,” he said.

“It’s ultimately an individual decision,” Sesso told Reuters Health.

Considering how many people take multivitamins – up to half of all U.S. adults – he said there’s still a need for more research on their effects.

Mulrow had a different perspective. Based on the research that has been done and the lack of general benefit, she questioned whether any more money should be spent on studying vitamin supplements.

“We think we shouldn’t be doing a lot more studies on most of these,” she said.

MORE RELATED TO THIS STORY

Too many people don't understand that supplements are designed to do just that...supplement an already healthy diet. I drink protein shakes and I take multi-vitamins and will continue to do so. My 3 meals every day are also vastly more healthy than probably 90% of the US population. Making those meals becomes a time consuming pain in the ass sometimes, but I understand that I'm not going to see the same benefits from anything that comes out of a bottle in pill or powder form.

ETA: also seems to be quite a bit of contradiction in that article.
-Vitamins are a waste
-Vitamins aren't so bad
-We shouldn't spend money researching vitamins

Is there a difference between taking a multi and a specific vitamin, say a D, E or B12? IMO a multi is a blunderbuss which delivers only a fraction of a daily intake of any particular vitamin as to deliver the correct daily amount of all across the spectrum would mean a hellava huge pill. Concentrated doses of particular vitamins for a particular ailment can assist in correction of a problem.

1) The pencil-necked one is loosing his mind over this I'm sure. If ya'll don't know who I'm talking about, sorry the joke's lost on you. Nothing personal.
2) I take an immune system booster which is part multivitamin, part "a bunch of other stuff" and it works. There has to be some benefit from orally administered vitamin/ mineral supplements.
3) Give it a year or 3 and a new study will come out telling us this study is wrong.

ETA: also seems to be quite a bit of contradiction in that article.
-Vitamins are a waste
-Vitamins aren't so bad
-We shouldn't spend money researching vitamins

I agree, and it needs a new title.

What I got from the article was, "because the multivitamin failed to improve memory, and prevent a second heart attack: it's a waste of money." I would've like to have seen them go into bio-availability of powders/liquids/capsules/tabs, fillers in powder/gel tablets, side effects of the digestive aids, other diseases, maybe ingredient profiles or individual minerals/vitamins, etc.

Then at the end of the article it says:

Research shows Americans often don’t get all recommended nutrients from their diets, and that a multivitamin helps fill those gaps, MacKay told Reuters Health.

“That’s reason alone that a multivitamin should be consumed,” he said.

Well no shit I take it to fill in nutrient gaps. I didn't pick it up off the shelf and say, "time to play brain games and prevent heart attacks."

I'd like to know which multivitamins they used in their studies, there's a lot of factors involved when choosing a multi. I wonder if they used the MD Prescriptives Essentials 5 in 1, since doctors were involved in the first study. That particular brand uses Albion Chelates which provide a high degree of quality and bio availability. You basically need to goto the doctors office to get it.

I take vitamin D , fish oil and glucosamine everyday. Makes me feel good inside.

Agreed. Maybe it's the placebo effect but when I take fish oil and glucosamine I "feel" that my joints can tell the difference. Especially when I'm putting my joints under stress. They call them supplements for a reason and not nutritional replacement. It won't fix a terrible diet or replace a healthy one.

Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM fixed my fucked up knees. Seriously, changed my life.
I take fish oil daily and other vitamins etc... when I feel the need i.e. Vit C when I'm sick.

Be aware though that certain vitamins/minerals taken in excess will build up harmfully in the body. I don't recall exactly (do your own research) but certain vitamins have be linked/proven to cause stones and other bad things if taken in excess.

Alcohol and bacon on the other hand have been proven to make you invincible.

true story.png

I take B12, magnesium+zinc, flax seed oil and a spirulina and chlorella supp every morning. Feel Awesome!

I take vitamin D , fish oil and glucosamine everyday. Makes me feel good inside.

B12, niacin, fish oil, D, all on the advice of my doc...

Vits A&D I think there Pard. Anyone?

VitaminD and muscle function: is there a threshold in the relation?

AuthorsJanssen HC, et al. Show allJournal
J Am Med Dir Assoc. 2013 Aug;14(8):627.e13-8. doi: 10.1016/j.jamda.2013.05.012. Epub 2013 Jun 27.

Abstract
OBJECTIVES: First, to determine the association between serum 25 hydroxyvitamin D (25OHD) concentration and muscle mass, strength, and performance. Second, to explore if there is a threshold in the association.

DESIGN: Cross-sectional, single-center study.

SETTING: The central part of the Netherlands (52° Northern latitude).

PARTICIPANTS: A total of 802 independently living men and postmenopausal women 40 to 80 years of age.

MEASUREMENTS: Health-related and lifestyle factors, including physical activity, 25OHD concentration, lean mass, handgrip strength, knee extension strength, and physical performance were determined.

RESULTS: Overall, higher 25OHD level was significantly associated with higher lean mass (22.6 g per nmol/L, 95% CI 7.3-37.9), handgrip strength (0.020 kg per nmol/L, 95% CI 0.001-0.038), and physical performance (0.006 points per nmol/L, 95% CI 0.001-0.012), after adjustment for various confounders. This association was most pronounced below a 25OHD level of 60 nmol/L, with lean mass increase 79.6 g per nmol/L (95% CI 40.8-118.4, P < .01), handgrip strength 0.09 kg per nmol/L (95% CI 0.045-0.141, P < .01), and physical performance 0.02 points per nmol/L (95% CI 0.005-0.032, P < .01), and these significant associations attenuated to null above this threshold.

CONCLUSION: In middle-aged men and (postmenopausal) women, a higher 25OHD level was significantly associated with higher lean mass, muscle strength, and performance. These associations were most pronounced below 60 nmol/L and absent above 60 nmol/L, indicating a ceiling effect.

Copyright © 2013 American Medical Directors Association, Inc. Published by Elsevier Inc. All rights reserved.

For all you vitamin D junkies.

There's a study on vitamin C that I can't find, but pretty much they found that 15 skittles a day was enough vitamin C to fight off scurvy.

I can dig up more studies, but I'm on the same boat as you guys: fish oil and vitamin D.

For all you vitamin D junkies.

There's a study on vitamin C that I can't find, but pretty much they found that 15 skittles a day was enough vitamin C to fight off scurvy.

I can dig up more studies, but I'm on the same boat as you guys: fish oil and vitamin D.

Capsaicin and vitamin c are both found in hot peppers... both are good for you, so wouldn't it be better to eat nachos rather than skittles?

Back