New Reports Prove Multivitamins are a 'Waste' of Money

I happened upon this article: http://www.theatlantic.com/health/a...myth-why-we-think-we-need-supplements/277947/

Interesting read.

On October 10, 2011, researchers from the University of Minnesota found that women who took supplemental multivitamins died at rates higher than those who didn't. Two days later, researchers from the Cleveland Clinic found that men who took vitamin E had an increased risk of prostate cancer. "It's been a tough week for vitamins," said Carrie Gann of ABC News.

These findings weren't new. Seven previous studies had already shown that vitamins increased the risk of cancer and heart disease and shortened lives. Still, in 2012, more than half of all Americans took some form of vitamin supplements. What few people realize, however, is that their fascination with vitamins can be traced back to one man. A man who was so spectacularly right that he won two Nobel Prizes and so spectacularly wrong that he was arguably the world's greatest quack.

In 1970, Pauling published Vitamin C and the Common Cold, urging the public to take 3,000 milligrams of vitamin C every day (about 50 times the recommended daily allowance). Pauling believed that the common cold would soon be a historical footnote. "It will take decades to eradicate the common cold completely," he wrote, "but it can, I believe, be controlled entirely in the United States and some other countries within a few years. I look forward to witnessing this step toward a better world." Pauling's book became an instant best seller. Paperback versions were printed in 1971 and 1973, and an expanded edition titled Vitamin C, the Common Cold and the Flu, published three years later, promised to ward off a predicted swine flu pandemic. Sales of vitamin C doubled, tripled, and quadrupled. Drugstores couldn't keep up with demand. By the mid-1970s, 50 million Americans were following Pauling's advice. Vitamin manufacturers called it "the Linus Pauling effect."

Found the actual Minnesota study - http://archinte.jamanetwork.com/article.aspx?articleid=1105975

I am curious why these studies don't seem to differentiate between synthetic or natural forms of these vitamins. From what I can find, it sounds like most vitamins on the market are synthetically produced, and have found a small number of scientific articles pushing the idea that naturally occurring forms of vitamins are better. Not sure if all vitamins can be extracted and put into a pill in a naturally occurring form, but it seems as if many can be, so my guess is that it is possible to find genuinely natural vitamins. Seeing this, it would be interesting to see a large study done about the differences between natural vs. synthetic. I was able to find a few small articles on this difference, but haven't found any real scientific studies so far. Will look more again later when I have more time.

NIH was one of the places I looked, however almost all of those listed are about specific vitamins/nutrients - I was wondering about a comparison to the across-the-board type study done by Minnesota. Not saying your link wasn't helpful - I just need to wade through to find something closer to what I am looking for.

I take vitamin D , fish oil and glucosamine everyday. Makes me feel good inside.

Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM fixed my fucked up knees. Seriously, changed my life.
I take fish oil daily and other vitamins etc... when I feel the need i.e. Vit C when I'm sick.

Be aware though that certain vitamins/minerals taken in excess will build up harmfully in the body. I don't recall exactly (do your own research) but certain vitamins have be linked/proven to cause stones and other bad things if taken in excess. <snip>

I take B12, magnesium+zinc, flax seed oil and a spirulina and chlorella supp every morning. Feel Awesome!

B12, niacin, fish oil, D, all on the advice of my doc...

@TLDR20 , @pardus , @x SF med , @Crusader74 - All 4 of you were pro-supplement of some type, nearly 3 years later do you still feel the same way?

I am looking to supplement my diet with fish oil, D, and Flax. My cholesterol tends to run on the high side so also looking at Niacin vs. something prescription based. I've read mixed reviews on the Niacin that is created to reduce or eliminate the morning flush that comes with it.

The only regular suppliment I take year round is Dr but living in the land of ice and snow, it's sometimes hard to get enough sun. Been thinking of adding a fish oil though.

I tried the glucosamine, chrondroitin and msm years ago but found it didn't do anything. My doctor noted a study that a small % of the population gets no significant benefits from it.

@TLDR20 , @pardus , @x SF med , @Crusader74 - All 4 of you were pro-supplement of some type, nearly 3 years later do you still feel the same way?

I am looking to supplement my diet with fish oil, D, and Flax. My cholesterol tends to run on the high side so also looking at Niacin vs. something prescription based. I've read mixed reviews on the Niacin that is created to reduce or eliminate the morning flush that comes with it.

I still take vitamin D. Now that I am in better shape physically, I don't need the fish oil. I just stopped taking Glucosamine

Still feel the same, although I haven't taken anything in a few months..

I come down on the side of the street that is anti Vits, unless lab values suggest supplements. If you feel the need, take a Once A Day MVI; with Iron if you are a female. I am not a fan of Statins, and will make diet changes before taking any statins.

My $.02.

I come down on the side of the street that is anti Vits, unless lab values suggest supplements. If you feel the need, take a Once A Day MVI; with Iron if you are a female. I am not a fan of Statins, and will make diet changes before taking any statins.

My $.02.
Strongly agree.

Supplements are not well studied and barely regulated. Also, what evidence does exist supports only a small number of Vits/ supplements having any theraputic benefit, which is contained mostly to Vit. D administration applying to a small case population.

A follow up from above...

This post is driven by curiosity from an A&P class about 20 years ago.

Fat soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K while the rest are water soluble. The class plus what I've read over the years says that water soluble vitamins don't build up and are passed in the urine. Fat soluble vitamins build up and cause toxicity.

I've just condensed a ton of science into 3 sentences because I are smart. 8-) How true is the above?

I've only ever seen results from my Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM intake, which as I reported before was neigh miraculous.
I take even more supplements now, sprirulina is my biggest change.

@pardus Just out of curiosity, with Glucosamine, Chondritin, and MSM was there a certain dosage that did the trick? Any particular brands?

@Red Flag 1 Do you think chomping the vitamins apart like pez candy would help with absorption?

This post is driven by curiosity from an A&P class about 20 years ago.

Fat soluble vitamins are A, D, E, and K while the rest are water soluble. The class plus what I've read over the years says that water soluble vitamins don't build up and are passed in the urine. Fat soluble vitamins build up and cause toxicity.

I've just condensed a ton of science into 3 sentences because I are smart. 8-) How true is the above?

Last edited:
@pardus Just out of curiosity, with Glucosamine, Chondritin, and MSM was there a certain dosage that did the trick? Any particular brands?

@Red Flag 1 Do you think chomping the vitamins apart like pez candy would help with absorption?

Breaking up the pills may be of some value. What gets in the way of delivering the supplements to the blood stream is how the vitamin is bound with the carrier agent in the pill/capsule/caplet. Other things that impact delivery of the prime ingredient, is bowel motility. The longer the pill has in the gut, increases the amount that is delivered to the blood stream.

Last edited:
Back