New Reports Prove Multivitamins are a 'Waste' of Money

Thanks for the insight. @Red Flag 1 Guess I'll be switching over to the brand name Motrin and see if it works out better. I always operated under the assumption that as long as the active ingredients were the same, the product would be the same.

I've only ever seen results from my Glucosamine, Chondroitin and MSM intake, which as I reported before was neigh miraculous.

This brings up another good point regarding supplements: the placebo effect can be strong.

Please don't think I'm hating on your apparent outcomes @pardus , but to use Glucosamine/ Chondriotin as just one example, it has been conclusively found that this supplement doesn't actually do anything.

From one meta analysis, among other similar ones:
"Compared with placebo, glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space. Health authorities and health insurers should not cover the costs of these preparations, and new prescriptions to patients who have not received treatment should be discouraged."
Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: network meta-analysis | The BMJ

Many docs in my field shlep Vits/ supplements to the point where its very big business, with accompanying strong (nonsense) claims and "prescriptive guidance." I am happy when I hear about positive outcomes which are (at this point) likely related to placebo effect, but evidence related to whether the vast majority are genuinely doing what's claimed is extremely poor or not favorable.

So, its very much a 'use and be advised at your own risk' kind of deal with supplements. The Stick in the Mud will return to his hole at the health sciences library now. :D:-x

Last edited:
A follow up from above.

Before you begin taking supplemental Vitamin D, you really should find out what your blood levels of Vitamin D are. If you over shoot, and become Vitamin D Toxic, know this: Excess Vitamin D is hard to get rid of. It can lead to excess Blood Calcium levels, and may effect the calcium in your bones, and renal effects; that is just for starters.

For Some Reference:

Hypervitaminosis D
Hypervitaminosis D: MedlinePlus Medical Encyclopedia
Vitamin D toxicity: What if you get too much? - Mayo Clinic

A side story: I had the septic tank of our house serviced no too long ago. We talked about the solids that never seem to get taken care of inside the septic tank; they just build up. I was surprised to hear that one of the most common solids are vitamin pills. He went on to say that he had customers who took handfulls of vitamins three to four times a day. Most boast about how much their lives have been improved because of the vitamins. He was on a similar kick for a while, and one of his customers, like him were heavy Vitamin supplement users . He said, just for "grins and shits", his words, not mine, he held the vacuum hose high enough to just look at the solids before vacuuming all them out. He said he saw hundreds of vitamin pills, unchanged in with other solid waste. Some were the same he took, and he could see the writing still on the pills. His observation was that he was literally crapping dollars right down the toilet.I've heard similar observations made by the Port-A-John service companies, lots of Vitamin pills there too.

Keep in mind too, that you are dealing with companies outside the checks and balances of the FDA. Just because it says 1,000 units on the label, it does not mean all 1,000 units will be released by the pill/capsule etc. Dietary supplements are largely unregulated, and there are no promises that you will get the benefit of what is advertised on the label.

Before you decide to start on supplemental vitamins, read up on the pluses, and the complications. Vitamin D, and Iron are very hard to get rid of if you over shoot, and become toxic.

So, if you are going to decide to increase your vitamin intake, see your doctor, and get some blood levels drawn. If you are below the normal value, that is where you start adding supplements. My wife is chronically low in her Vitamin D levels. She gets prescription for her vitamin D supplements, nothing that the FDA has not blessed. If you are healthy, and eat a balanced diet, it is unlikely that you need additional vitamins. If you have to take something, like I said above, a One A Day Multivitamin will be all you need.

My $ usual phone consult rate;-).

J, try Rid X or a similar product once a month down the toilet. It's basically bacteria in liquid or powder form that consumes solids.

My dad swore by the stuff, as do some of my neighbors. They use Rid X as directed, and have their tanks cleaned every three years. They have never had a problem.

Being a bit of a Rebel, I decided to take a different tac. We have a stick built home that we moved into at the turn of the century, I just love being able to use that term. I've not used any septic tank products. Even with three grand kids here for over a year, I went until last year to have the tank serviced. Our solid waste was a only few inches in the bottom, and could easily have gone a several more years. Maybe I'm just lucky; I'll keep doin' what I'm doin';-).

We have a septic. I have six homeschooled kids. I live in septic hell.

Last edited by a moderator:
Kids can and will flush all manner of things down the toilet. I'm not sure how much Didx will help. Plan on an every qouple of year service. If you find, and expose the top of the tank, it can save up to $75.00 in time and labor.

Good luck!

Thanks. We are past the age of flushing inappropriate material; the problem is because we homeschool and have almost everyone home all the time we never give the system, already 37ish years old, time to just chill....it's ALWAYS being used and stressed.

Thanks. We are past the age of flushing inappropriate material; the problem is because we homeschool and have almost everyone home all the time we never give the system, already 37ish years old, time to just chill....it's ALWAYS being used and stressed.

Last edited:
A couple of things come to mind. How big is the septic tank? The other is what the ground perk test showed? Usually the perk test will dictate the number of bedrooms that the house can handle.

What gets the tank in trouble is when the amount of solid waste reaches the level of the intake pipe. Once there the system will back up.

Do you have a garbage disposal in the sink? If you do, that can account for a lot of solid waste.

Dude, you are awesome in asking and I appreciate your interest. This thing has been the bane of my existence since March. The house is zoned for a family of 6; we have 8 (6 kids aged 5 1/2-14). The county has determined that the system is failing but has not failed. At first the county denied any repair permit because of the crappy soil (actually, an orange clay). We appealed, the state guy who came out and inspected the soil recommended a pressure-manifold/trench system. But prior to spending the big bucks, he suggested replacing all the toilet flappers, fixing a leaky shower faucet, moving the discharge for the water softener from out back by the field to out front, and to funnel the gutter downspouts away from the field. The state guy believes we can, with these and with some water conservation, kick the can of a full-blown repair for a while. We had a very wet winter and spring which really mad the yard over the field boggy, but now with the typical North Carolina summer, it has dried out quite a bit.

This brings up another good point regarding supplements: the placebo effect can be strong.

Please don't think I'm hating on your apparent outcomes @pardus , but to use Glucosamine/ Chondriotin as just one example, it has been conclusively found that this supplement doesn't actually do anything.

From one meta analysis, among other similar ones:
"Compared with placebo, glucosamine, chondroitin, and their combination do not reduce joint pain or have an impact on narrowing of joint space. Health authorities and health insurers should not cover the costs of these preparations, and new prescriptions to patients who have not received treatment should be discouraged."
Effects of glucosamine, chondroitin, or placebo in patients with osteoarthritis of hip or knee: network meta-analysis | The BMJ

Many docs in my field shlep Vits/ supplements to the point where its very big business, with accompanying strong (nonsense) claims and "prescriptive guidance." I am happy when I hear about positive outcomes which are (at this point) likely related to placebo effect, but evidence related to whether the vast majority are genuinely doing what's claimed is extremely poor or not favorable.

So, its very much a 'use and be advised at your own risk' kind of deal with supplements. The Stick in the Mud will return to his hole at the health sciences library now. :D:-x

I understand and respect what you are saying. I cannot and will not say it is wrong due to lack of evidence.
However, I do not believe that a placebo effect will stop knees locking. Which is what happened to me among other benefits.

My dad had a rare blood disorder:
Low blood numbers, the real important ones, ie red and white blood cells and platelets.

We kept him full of fried food and Vitamins (C, Multi's and Iron) and that stubborn sob outlived everyone's expectations by YEARS!!!
He had a stroke because they were ignoring the Platelet counts and attacking the red blood cells with a 5 liter red snackypoo every 3 weeks.

After the stroke he started getting both his 3 week drip and a hit of platelets every 5 days, good news for me I got out of school for this and I hung out with hot FEMALE nurses (I threw that in there just in case).

Ultimately what did him in was the frequency at which we went to the hospital. The more visits the more chances to pick up something your Immune can't judo chop in the throat. There was some bad plague going around the Reservation and he got it in the hospital and died in a few days.

I say all this to say studies are just that. We are all different. I saw how he felt and what he could do when he was taking vitamins and what happened when he didn't. (I don't blame him, the iron smelt and tasted like a horses ass). You can't convince me that vitamins are bad with 10000 studies of people's penis's falling off!

So, I will eat a Multi vitamin with a huge glass of milk and pie, brownies, cake or doughnuts for breakfast until I die or my penis falls off....:thumbsup:

It all depends on the bio-availability of the vitamin itself. Most of the time your body cannot process most multivitamins efficiently, as they are highly processed and therefore lock away the very nutrients they're trying to give you.

Either way though, as no one should be trying to fix shitty nutrition with supplementation unless it is impossible to get otherwise, such as being in the field and living of MRE's. Actually that reminds me, why don't they pack MRE's with fish oil, magnesium, zinc etc.

Let me know how that works out for you.
To follow up, when using Ibuprofen I either buy Aleve at the school 4 x 200 mg), or use the Equate brand (4 x 200 mg) from Wal-Mart. The effect is pretty much the same for me. The only difference, is that Aleve pills are coated in a sweet outer shell that makes them easier to swallow.

On the other hand, the coating on the Equate Ibuporfen makes them occasionally adhere to the back of ones throat. I usually chase the Eqaute Ibuprofen down with a bag of Mott's fruit snacks. The Aleve brand seems to be easier in my stomach though.
Dude, you are awesome in asking and I appreciate your interest. This thing has been the bane of my existence since March. The house is zoned for a family of 6; we have 8 (6 kids aged 5 1/2-14). The county has determined that the system is failing but has not failed. At first the county denied any repair permit because of the crappy soil (actually, an orange clay). We appealed, the state guy who came out and inspected the soil recommended a pressure-manifold/trench system. But prior to spending the big bucks, he suggested replacing all the toilet flappers, fixing a leaky shower faucet, moving the discharge for the water softener from out back by the field to out front, and to funnel the gutter downspouts away from the field. The state guy believes we can, with these and with some water conservation, kick the can of a full-blown repair for a while. We had a very wet winter and spring which really mad the yard over the field boggy, but now with the typical North Carolina summer, it has dried out quite a bit.
When I was in Colorado, I had a counselor who mentioned that his neighbor had peach trees growing on or near his leech field. He would then talk about how good the peaches were (him and his family were big fans), while acknowledging their dubious origins. Maybe some fruit bearing or nutrient/water hungry trees with shallow roots, could help mitigate the stress put on your septic system.

Last edited:
It all depends on the bio-availability of the vitamin itself. Most of the time your body cannot process most multivitamins efficiently, as they are highly processed and therefore lock away the very nutrients they're trying to give you.

Either way though, as no one should be trying to fix shitty nutrition with supplementation unless it is impossible to get otherwise, such as being in the field and living of MRE's. Actually that reminds me, why don't they pack MRE's with fish oil, magnesium, zinc etc.

:-/

Bioavailability comment aside; why would they pack MRE's with fish oil, magnesium, zinc? Are you assuming that all military members are deficient in those micronutrients? Or that the MRE themselves are deficient? What benefit would that provide, if any?

Most importantly, where are you getting your information? Are you in school for anatomy, physiology, nutrition, etc?

To follow up, when using Ibuprofen I either buy Aleve at the school 4 x 200 mg), or use the Equate brand (4 x 200 mg) from Wal-Mart. The effect is pretty much the same for me. The only difference, is that Aleve pills are coated in a sweet outer shell that makes them easier to swallow.

Last edited:

Oh, my dear Dr. Pauling. Such is the legacy you have created.

:-/

Bioavailability comment aside; why would they pack MRE's with fish oil, magnesium, zinc? Are you assuming that all military members are deficient in those micronutrients? Or that the MRE themselves are deficient? What benefit would that provide, if any?

Most importantly, where are you getting your information? Are you in school for anatomy, physiology, nutrition, etc?
Fish oil for joint lubrication, magnesium for energy production/sleep as well as zinc for joints again. No I'm not assuming that all military members are deficient in those micronutrients. I can't speak for all MRE's, I'm not an MREist, but for the ones that I have had (Australian) I'd say they could do with some of the things listed, maybe some digestive enzymes as well. Benefits were listed above.

From my buddy Rob down the street, who's cousin is a bodybuilder who told him, that his uncle said this is legit. :D

But in all seriousness, one of the guys I work with is an ISSN sports nutritionist (yes, that is not accredited), and he constantly relays information he reads from ISSN studies and the like, and backs them up when questioned.

Oh, my dear Dr. Pauling. Such is the legacy you have created.
By the sounds of amlove21's response and yours, I feel as if I have stepped on a mine that's about to blow up in my face. :D

Back