Notre Dame is burning down

I don't see why this is newsworthy or why anyone could possibly care. It's arguing semantics with other people that probably don't care except to expose him as ignorant.

I wouldn't know the difference between an aerial tanker and a helo carrying a tank in the world of aerial firefighting.. but it led me to the wiki page

Aerial firefighting - Wikipedia

It's not newsworthy....it was only my personal statement.

True, but the weight from aerial tankers would destroy the structure like that. Now, helos with the water drops I can see, but aerial tankers carry anywhere from 12,000 gallons to 19,600 gallons. I think he was just making an uninformed, or flippant, remark.

Drops aren't in just one go, and altitude plus speed have dispersion effects. The structure is already fucked for the most part anyway.

Makes a lot of sense and thanks for the explanation, very helpful since that is not my area of knowledge. My thoughts were due to knowing there is a lot of unskilled migrant labor in that workforce in Europe and what jobs start, or have potential to start roof fires that we see here. Lower the common denominator, increase the amount of corners cut, tack on a profession, and also throw shit to see what sticks is all I did. I have no fire knowledge, but I would wonder since the scaffold was wood, if that was enough to spread things quickly?

I'm making a couple of assumptions here, but I'm picking the church has one of the big construction companies and project managers on a job like this. Which if it's being managed properly, would mean properly skilled labour, permits for pretty much every task, permit to work, hot work permit, working at heights permits, safe work method statement for every task, risk assessments, change management, etc etc.
None of which means that fuck ups can't happen, or short cuts won't be taken.

Or it could be arson.

Last edited:
It's arguing semantics with other people that probably don't care except to expose him as ignorant.
Donald Trump is 72 years old, and a grandfather. He's also the president. There are times when he posts like a president, and times when he posts like your grandfather. This Notre Dame tweet highlights the latter aspect.

How many things have we as a species built or created that would spiritually wound the world over if it burned down a century or two from now?

Aside from that, the Notre Dame Cathedral has been burned, damaged atleast a few times since it was first started to be laid down in 1163, it will take a lot more than this to remove that thing.

French President Emmanuel Macron says Notre-Dame cathedral will be rebuilt "even more beautifully" - and that he wants the work done within five years.

Rebuilt Notre-Dame 'will be more beautiful'

Get a load of this cunt. It's like he wants to be even more hated than he already is. Best part is he reportedly said it would be rebuilt in a way that keeps in line with our modern, cultural values. Maybe he wants to add some minarets :ROFLMAO:

Get a load of this cunt. It's like he wants to be even more hated than he already is. Best part is he reportedly said it would be rebuilt in a way that keeps in line with our modern, cultural values.

I imagine the Pope sent him a message saying something along the lines of "Settle down knacker bags, we've got this."

I'm making a couple of assumptions here, but I'm picking the church has one of the big construction companies and project managers on a job like this. Which if it's being managed properly, would mean properly skilled labour, permits for pretty much every task, permit to work, hot work permit, working at heights permits, safe work method statement for every task, risk assessments, change management, etc etc.
None of which means that fuck ups can't happen, or short cuts won't be taken.

Or it could be arson.

That’s one of the issues I was highlighting in my assumption, one of the big companies wasn’t awarded the contract.

Le Bras Freres is the company and they work on restoring historical sights, their other arm Le Bras Scaffolding does what it sounds like. They were awarded the contract over some of the bigger more well known companies. They are claiming none of their people were in the cathedral when the fire was started, so who knows.

According to the report I heard this morning there were 2 contract companies and neither were doing work onsite at the time.of the fire. One was doing work completely offsite. The other had finished working an hour earlier.

Also, report said it took 23 minutes to determine source of the alarm/fire; evidently a remote area of the attic?

French President Emmanuel Macron says Notre-Dame cathedral will be rebuilt "even more beautifully" - and that he wants the work done within five years.

Rebuilt Notre-Dame 'will be more beautiful'

Get a load of this cunt. It's like he wants to be even more hated than he already is. Best part is he reportedly said it would be rebuilt in a way that keeps in line with our modern, cultural values. Maybe he wants to add some minarets :ROFLMAO:

So I read this in Trump's voice: "It's gonna be beautiful, more beautiful than the last one, the greatest Notre Dame ever."

Who knows what happened. We probably won't ever hear the truth, maybe it was construction issue, maybe it was the "Muslims", who knows. Too early to tell. Fire investigation will take a while. If, if it was a terrorist or Muslim, whatever the phrase is, do you think Macron will even come out to report this? A true shame all around, lots of emotions over it.

Tell me why it is nonsense. Nonsense would make me believe that it is an implausible theory, and my understanding of what is happening in Europe right now makes me believe this is actually a very plausible theory.

What's happening in Europe right now? You can PM me if you want.

Plausible on what basis, given the facts as they were known at the time? Muslims were declared as the main suspects when absolutely nothing else about the event was known other than the fact that Notre Dame was on fire.

Was there anything to indicate it was Muslims? Was there any information available to indicate what started the fire? Any information pointing to arson specifically? Was any information known at the time regarding the event other than the fact the Notre Dame was on fire? In turn, given all of the above, was there anything to warrant anyone being declared as the main suspects?

No, there wasnt. That's why it was nonsense.

It has fuck all to do with being politically incorrect or anything else and everything to do with remembering a time on SS where people engaging in wild conjecture were at least expected to have facts regarding events to back up their assertions.

I'll bow out of the thread because it's just gonna go around in circles. If anyone wants to continue this, my PMs are open.

What's happening in Europe right now? You can PM me if you want.
Why would I PM you? I know you are not naive enough to not know what I am talking about, and I'll be happy to limit the discussion to France.

Tension between migrating Muslims and French citizens is at an all time high, specifically because the Muslim population refused to assimilate into French culture and is instead demanding that France leave them be. Very similar to what is happening here in the States.

The Muslim ‘Issue’ in the French Campaign

Struggling to prevent terrorist attacks, France wants to ‘reform’ Islam

Plausible on what basis, given the facts as they were known at the time?
You want to get into semantics over the meaning of the word 'plausible' ? Come on now, do you not recall the Charlie Hebdo attack? The Bastille Day massacre? The countless stabbings and attacks in Paris alone over the past decade? It is farcical at best to say that it in not plausible a fire which caused such damage to that this particular symbol of Christianity.

everything to do with remembering a time on SS where people engaging in wild conjecture were at least expected to have facts regarding events to back up their assertions.
Yeah so, last time I checked that is still a thing here. No one on this board said, "the Muslims did it!" There were conversations about "what if's", that's what happens on an internet board. Conversations....if someone claims something to be fact, it takes no time at all for a member or staff member to demand a link; that has not changed.

I'll bow out of the thread because it's just gonna go around in circles. If anyone wants to continue this, my PMs are open.
That's your choice not to respond, and I'll bow out too, but you put your thoughts out in the public, I get to do the same.

Investigators are leaning towards an electrical short being the probable cause of the fire

Notre Dame fire was probably caused by electrical short-circuit, police official says

"A French judicial police official said investigators made an initial assessment of the cathedral Wednesday but haven’t begun to search its charred interior because of unresolved safety hazards.

The official, who spoke on condition of anonymity because he wasn’t authorized to speak publicly about the investigation"

Love how this is all based off of no evidence other than this supposed source. Even if the source is real, they can't even go in to conduct a proper investigation yet... so it's literally just a hypothesis.

Of course, the media run wild and declare that "the police" (AKA one supposed cop) think that the fire was "probably" (AKA one cop's hunch) caused by an electrical fault. Strong words for the headline of an article that comes down to a great big nothingburger when you look into it.

Daily reminder that mainstream journalism is dead.

Back