Paleo Diet

I am getting interested in the Paleo diet - I have not read all the information yet - just what is posted here - I do have a few concerns - 1) I am highly allergic to all fish / shellfish so that can't be on the menu, 2) since I take Warfarin (blood thinner), I have to really limit my intakes of greens, cranberries and absolutely no grapefruit / tea & 3) having had congestive heart failure (yes, I will be discussing this with my GM & cardiologist), I too am concerned with the increase intake of meat / eggs due to cholesterol.

So with all that together, do you think this might be a good idea for me to look into - even a modified version?

Thanks for any suggestions!

Tova-

Try something like Udo's Oil ( $20 for 17 oz.) in the place of fish oil, it is probably the best replacement. You will find that when you restrict refined carbohydrates the retention of fluids will also decrease, which may alleviate some of the CHF issues. You may want to go easy on the oils, they naturally thin the bloods, so that may cause issues with Warfarin.

Dietary cholesterol has little to no effect on blood levels, in fact an increase in fat with a decrease in refined carbohydrates will most likely result in a metabolic shift over time. You may want to read some of Michael Eades' & Chris Masterjohn's posts,(MD & and PhD) and they are the subject matter experts in this arena.

For those of you worried about breakfast, have you ever tried some grass fed butter in your coffee? It's like a souped up latte, provides CLA, and keeps you satiated for way longer than any protein shake. Kerrygold is the most well known brand of grass fed butter. For those on the paleo kick, the amount of dairy is nominal at best, and the additional CLA outweighs any lactose present. Put about 2 TBSP in a magic bullet with some good coffee, pulse until frothy. Works well with coconut oil too if you are 100% paleo.

Tova with that history, talk to your cardiologist before doing much in the way of thinking. MD may rule it out totally for all the reasons you have ID'd. Your fluid balance is tooooo important

Tova-

Try something like Udo's Oil ( $20 for 17 oz.) in the place of fish oil, it is probably the best replacement. You will find that when you restrict refined carbohydrates the retention of fluids will also decrease, which may alleviate some of the CHF issues. You may want to go easy on the oils, they naturally thin the bloods, so that may cause issues with Warfarin.

Booker - Thank you for the information - I've already been in contact with a Paleo nutritionist and we are working out a plan and I have also been saving the information from this post and researching various data sources as well.

Butter in my coffee? I don't think so. How would I taste all the cream and sugar?
Touché, my friend. I like coffee the more it doesn't taste like coffee. 9 packets of sugar and a protein scoop of creamer, yes please!

So I eat a lot of quinoa...depending on what's up it's a stable of my diet because it's easy to make a stir fry and just eat leftovers the next night. What could I bring in to change it up?

So I eat a lot of quinoa...depending on what's up it's a stable of my diet because it's easy to make a stir fry and just eat leftovers the next night. What could I bring in to change it up?

If you want to eat strict Paleo, quinoa is out. But if you want to eat it twice a week, its not really bad for you. Wont spkie your blood sugar and has a good source of some key minerals. I only eat 80/20 paleo to nonpaleo but try to keep it healthy. I love quinoa and avocado with some olive oil on it.

I would say I've been doing a modified paleo diet for awhile. I'd have to write it down, but everything I eat vegetable wise is about as fresh as you can get it from the commissary. Usually buy vegetables once a week. I also drink a whey shake after I lift...so yeah a modified pale.

I myself am also using whey, so I would say I am doing a modified Paleo diet as well. However, Matt Lalonde who is active in the Paleo community and an organic chemist says whey is fine. Eating a higher protein diet is difficult for me without the use of supplements. Post workout I utilize whey/dextrose. In the past I have used nerds and sweet tarts when I am short dextrose..:D

Paleo's best aspect lies within it's simplicity. No grains and no dairy, not too hard (I know way oversimplifying here). However strict adherence is definitely not necessary (and hugely lacking in empirical research). The problems we see are mostly with lactose and gluten, not all dairy and all grains. So by that logic there's no harm with foods like rice, aged cheeses, well fermented yogurt, and whey ISOLATES. Heck, the Okinawans are doing pretty well with them.

This is pretty well outlined in the "Archevore" diet or Paleo 2.0
http://www.archevore.com/get-started/

What I always tell people is that everything Paleo excludes is not necessarily bad (like rice or legumes), it's just that Paleos premise follows that of what man has ate for the majority of our existence - which largely precludes the agricultural revolution.

Changing it up will depend upon what your activity levels are - white rice is a good carb choice for people who do a lot of anaerobic work. I know that many paleo folks freak when they hear that, but white rice is non-allergenic (the brown coating is where the anti-nutrients lie in wait). Nate Miyaki has some good stuff on the use of white rice in the diet. I would give it a shot, it's similar to quinoa in that you can make a ton of it without a lot of effort. Kurt Harris over at Archevore is a great resource as well.

A lot of the paleo folks get off on the strict approach of their diet, and tend to look down on people who aren't 100% strict. Personally, I have better things to do with my life than freak out over whey protein, or rice, or whatever else is the whipping boy of the day. If you eat clean 80% of the time, and you are fine with eating quinoa (no intestinal issues, bloating, etc), then eat up.

I'm good with eating quinoa I was just wanting to change it up a little bit. Like Chicken I can eat it everyday two meals a day for awhile...hell I think I at chicken for everything except breakfast for three weeks at one point.

Also...first kiwi was yesterday...they are not soft.

What I always tell people is that everything Paleo excludes is not necessarily bad (like rice or legumes), it's just that Paleos premise follows that of what man has ate for the majority of our existence - which largely precludes the agricultural revolution.

It's not that necessarily everything is bad. It's that with the removal of these foods people generally tend to look, feel and perform better. Also, it's crucial for anyone trying to overcome a certain maladie (autoimmune disease for example) to have a 100% buy in for atleast 30 days. If you suspect or know you have an autoimmune condition you need to follow the AI protocol listed in the book and site. I mentioned Matt Lalonde earlier, he has a more stringent list one has to adhere to. But if you are sick, then do it.

It's true that certain populations over thousands of years have adapted to and consumed rice, legumes ect and thrived. However for most of us these foods are problematic. You will never know this though unless you eliminate them completely from your diet for atleast 30 days. Then one can introduce a certain food back into the mix to see what reaction they get. That nagging tinnitus may clear up. Knee pain? Insomnia? Libido in the shitter? Headaches? All could be connected to what's going into your mouth.

My final Springer thought is this. Perhaps you feel you are running at your optimum level as a soldier/athlete and you don't have any issues regarding illness. Eat your way for 30 days and continue training. Then implement Paleo eating for 30 days and tell me how you perform. Give it an honest go, you are not going to miss 30 days of your life. At the end of it all if your way works better then by all means drive on with it.

My lunch was:
Brussel sprouts cooked in bacon grease and a little olive oil, cut up bacon, and a sliced gala apple cooked with the brussel sprouts.

Thank you Jab,

Last time I spoke with you was in December to get the PDF's. It has been around three months since I started and I've lost around 20 lbs. I am not on a strict Paleo diet but in combination with workout guidance from Etype I have to say it is a great feeling.

Back