Paleo Diet

My wife and I started with a paleo challenge at our cf gym. We have both done great with it (we both cut 2% body fat with everything else staying the same). We are not 100% by any stretch, but I would say we are close to 90%. Breakfast is easy (come on, a diet that starts your day with bacon and eggs is just too easy), lunch isn't bad as long as you can either bring your own lunch or have places to go that you know will work out. Dinner is just as easy as breakfast (meat and veggies is easy). My problem is that sweet tooth that just won't go away. Frozen bananas, almonds, and a little dark chocolate blended up is just about as close as I can get to ice cream. When that doesn't cut it you understand the 10% cheating I mentioned.

Yeah, I saw it. Pretty fucking crazy! I plan on getting back on the paleo bandwagon after the move, because all my shit is pretty much packed up, anyway. That link just makes it easier.

LOL, man I wish I could stick to the damn Paleo diet stuff. It was working well for me, but it’s just damn hard to stay on it with my current lifestyle and circumstances. Hopefully I can actually devote some time to my actual health once I am retired and no longer have to drive back to San Antonio on a daily bases.

My goal is to drop 25 pounds and quit drinking soda, smoking and eating fast food before the end of this year. We will see what happens…

FYI: I had a major computer crash 2 months ago, so I no longer have the Paleo Diet files I was offering. Maybe one of the many that received it from me will be willing to pass it on to others on here, or even send it to me now…

Can I get on that list as well? I'm 5lbs heavy by Army standards and 20lbs heavy by BMI.
Reed

Reed there is a ton of free info on Robb Wolf's site, Robbwolf.com. I'm sure most know that he wrote the book, The Paleo Solution. One doesn't even need to buy the book. Everything and I mean EVERYTHING is practically layed out on the site. His blog and FAQ cover meal plans, supplements ect.

For breakfast I would eat bacon/eggs fried in coconut oil.

Lunch would be an epic salad, with chicken, ground beef, bacon, avacado and all the veggies. More coconut oil is added.

Dinner would be steak and veggies or if post workout I would keep the protein lean eg chicken and a sweet potato.

Supplements: Vit D, Fish Oil, Probiotic in the morning.

LOL, man I wish I could stick to the damn Paleo diet stuff. It was working well for me, but it’s just damn hard to stay on it with my current lifestyle and circumstances. Hopefully I can actually devote some time to my actual health once I am retired and no longer have to drive back to San Antonio on a daily bases.

My goal is to drop 25 pounds and quit drinking soda, smoking and eating fast food before the end of this year. We will see what happens…

FYI: I had a major computer crash 2 months ago, so I no longer have the Paleo Diet files I was offering. Maybe one of the many that received it from me will be willing to pass it on to others on here, or even send it to me now…

JAB

Are you making it more complicated than need be? I've implemented it on the road with great success. Most hotels offer complimentary breakfasts which one can always find bacon and eggs. Granted, these are not the best choices given you don't know how they are being prepared, but it's still enough from throwing the train off the tracks.

I've never seen a lack of a Subway, Denny's or Waffle House down south or through Texas. If need be, I'll go to Subway and order a salad. Double up on the steak, bacon, chicken and avocado and then add in whatever veggies. It's too easy, and even when I double down on the meats it still only comes to $9 in most places.

Dennys? Chicken, steak, eggs, bacon, ham..meat galore plus veggies. Waffle house is the same way. None of these are really expensive.

Hell, I made 10lbs of deer jerky to take to the field awhile back to avoid the shit in MRE's.

A good trick to avoid getting hungry on the long haul of a drive or flight is to load up your meal prior to the trip with fat. Ex: almonds, avacado, walnuts, coconut oil, perhaps pick fattier cuts of meat. The fat will slow down digestion and you won't be as hungry or have the urge to snack on the road if one of the options I mentioned wasn't around....learned and tried this from Marksdailyapple and RobbWolf.com

I personally am a big fan of hard boiled eggs for when you are going to be busy or traveling. If I know my schedule is packed the next day, I will had boil some eggs the night before and take them to work with me. Sometimes on sunday my wife will bake a dozen or so "paleo muffins", which is enough to get us through the week for breakfast. Beef jerkey is always great for on the go, can be found at any gas station. You can find a chain steak house almost anywhere, where a cheap steak and veggies can be had. On the beer note, Red Bridge Beer is a gluten free brew that tastes pretty good. Is it strict paleo? No, but it's a great compromise for someone who isn't going to give up a beer after work or at a cook out.

JAB

Are you making it more complicated than need be?
~Snip~

Good post and I agree… It’s just not that easy to do right this moment. I do try to keep my general diet healthier and more grounded towards eating Paleo, but like I posted before, with my current life style and situation it’s just bit of a pain in the ass.

Some of the "salads" I've found on various Paleo sites are, well, EPIC as MilkTruckCoPilot put it. They're essentially greens with all kinds of protein thrown in. I found a recipe for a Caveman Cobb Salad w/Tenderloin on one of the sites, I'm going to give that a go this weekend. I'm trying to implement this as much as possible now that I have ready access to a kitchen. Most of it seems simple enough and I like to try and do most of my cooking on the weekends so that I'm just re-heating things during the week. I think I need to pick up some bacon from the commissary as well... :D

I'm going to start posting my diet in here for all you Paleo experts to critique. If you think I should post it elsewhere in this part of the forum, just let me know. I'm trying to be as good as I can with my diet now that I have a stove & oven across the hall. Here's what today looked like.

Breakfast: Protein shake w/skim milk, Yoplait greek yogurt w/peaches & granola
Mid morning: Special K bar
Lunch: Semi-epic salad consisting of spring mix greens, tomatoes, 1/2 an avocado, shredded cheddar, pan seared chix breast & roasted garlic vinaigrette
Post WO: Casein/Whey shake w/16oz powerade
Dinner: Salmon steak & sweet potato w/cinnamon
Drinking about 2 liters of water per day

I know you're supposed to stay away from dairy but the yogurt is too easy first thing in the morning. I don't have the gumption to get up early to make bacon, sausage and eggs every morning.
I'm open to critiques/suggestions.

What about fresh fruit for breakfast or just skip breakfast all together? If you really want the protein, how about a soy milkshake or fruit smoothie? I personally go for the Strawberry+Banana+Soy combo, blend until delicious.

We really don't need pork and eggs every morning to follow the paleo regimen. How many caveman were able to eat right after waking up anyway?

I wouldn't reccomend skipping breakfast, it should be your largest meal. Hard boil eggs the night before, good source of protein and its quick. replace the special k bar with trail mix for a snack, skip the cheese on your salad, skip the powerade.

Back