Peacetime role of the regiment?

China is doing a good enough job of absorbing Taiwan as it is, they won't go to war over it.

I don't see us getting involved in Iran, no. Korea- who knows what will happen there. I'm inclined to think it will be the same old saber rattling for years to come.

Have you forgotten already that Obama almost had us actively involved in a conflict in Syria a short time ago? Noble Peace Prize HOOAH! :hmm:

We average a major "contingency operation" every 20 years or so with smaller "contingency operations" every 3-5 years. Unless another Schwarzkopf comes along I doubt the Regiment will miss out. Of course, if you also look at the last 30-40 years of history, not every unit participated in every operation. Just because...say SF or the 75th or whoever is involved doesn't mean your platoon/ battalion/ ODA/ etc. will.

I would hazard a guess that the evolution of the 75th Ranger Regiment's mission set(or at least portions of it climbing the ladder of capability) leaves it well placed to be called upon regularly for operational deployments for the indefinite future.

Looking at where the 75th Ranger Regiment provides likely coverage and solutions on the conflict continuum and comparing it against current and likely low intensity conflicts, I would hazard a guess that the unit will be busy for the indefinite future.

Reading Kilcullen's new book Out of the Mountains leads me to believe that there will not be anywhere near enough scalpels(SMUs, Rangers) or doses of antibiotics(SF) to come close to meeting both operational and short notice on call demand.

And if "peacetime" Rangers Regiment loses a lot of combat experienced personnel, hopefully their next employers can build on their foundation skill sets and experience in a way that helps the US win the future fight in a more grey way.

Prompt Global Strike is something the US is working on to deliver a conventional warhead anywhere on the planet on very short notice.

I would think it prudent for the US to refine a "Prompt Global Kill/Capture" analog capability as well by leveraging the capabilities it gained in Iraq/Afghanistan/elsewhere in the last 12+ years forward deployed in appropriate places around the world partnered with relevant units and assets.

I would think Ranger Regiment would provide the big numbers to help provide a good chunk of a hybrid mashup prompt global kill/capture capability.

Just my speculation and best guess.

I absolutely agree with that, unless something major does come along, I think the days of everyone getting a piece of the action regularly are about done.

Until budgetary allocations get tied to operational readiness/use then everyone will need to demonstrate their usefulness. I'm seeing this right now in my non-SOF civilian job. :(

Until budgetary allocations get tied to operational readiness/use then everyone will need to demonstrate their usefulness. I'm seeing this right now in my non-SOF civilian job. :(
That budget drill seems to occur every 24 months.

Proof we promote managers instead of professionals (and we promote too fast).

Invent new and exciting ways to kill people in the next war.

I spent five years in Regiment prior to 9/11. I can tell what we did when there was no war......shoot, shoot, shoot, jump, jump, jump, walk, walk, walk, shoot, shoot, shoot.....so on and so on it went. So, basically what SOWT said.

I concur Ranger Lancero... I was there with you behind the brown fence. RLTW C.CO / HHC 3/75 97-Jan 01. shoot, deploy, shoot some more, jump, jump, PT, etc. etc.
Was in Sniper section for Germany in 1999 w/ then (SFC Bunch; SSG Tally)

GWOT was one thing, but the Rangers have always had a niche. No other SOF element can do DA on as large of a scale as they can. That's always going to be a needed capability. If anything, I see SF struggling for funding, as other organizations try to get in on their mission, whether they are suited for it or not (typically not). I don't think a lot of leadership actually understands that they are the UW/FID experts, and I don't think they do a good enough job of selling themselves as such within the Army itself.

GWOT was one thing, but the Rangers have always had a niche. No other SOF element can do DA on as large of a scale as they can. That's always going to be a needed capability. If anything, I see SF struggling for funding, as other organizations try to get in on their mission, whether they are suited for it or not (typically not). I don't think a lot of leadership actually understands that they are the UW/FID experts, and I don't think they do a good enough job of selling themselves as such within the Army itself.

Well played.... Well said.

Just found out that they are standing down the D co.'s in each Battalion, and the members are being redistributed through out the other companies. My source tells me "Retention is not a priority right now"

Just found out that they are standing down the D co.'s in each Battalion, and the members are being redistributed through out the other companies. My source tells me "Retention is not a priority right now"

"dislike!"

Not surprised, the original expansion plan envisioned eliminating all the 4th BDE/BN/Co from the roles when the war slowed down. That was one of the big (stated) reasons for not reactivating Div Hq's.

I thought it made sense then, and still makes sense.

I had a feeling this would happen. I wonder what will happen with their COFs. It'll be a good time to implement Ranger School into the pipeline.

Back