pipeline

Devon678

Verified Military
Looking for a quick answer.

Does a seal officer have less opportunity to attend training schools than an enlisted would.

Reason for asking is I have a buddy going in the next 2 weeks telling me I shouldn't do it as an officer because I won't have as much opportunity to train. He is also not a veteran and I remember when I was a recruiter i thought I new everything.

If there's a a thread already asking this just reply with a. Stfu.
Thanks

Looking for a quick answer.

Does a seal officer have less opportunity to attend training schools than an enlisted would.

Reason for asking is I have a buddy going in the next 2 weeks telling me I shouldn't do it as an officer because I won't have as much opportunity to train. He is also not a veteran and I remember when I was a recruiter i thought I new everything.

If there's a a thread already asking this just reply with a. Stfu.
Thanks
How would your buddy know if he is just going in?

His source I'm assuming is his instructor from the DEP. I'm referring to post schools like if we talking about recon other possible schools could be ss and dive and I'm sure there's more

I figured the response would be like this.

It simply worried me because I don't want to have a lacking experience if I decide to simply get paid more and have a better retirement. In that case I would rather enlist

I'm sure everyone can appreciate that you're looking for answers, but honestly the questions you're asking stem from bad information in the first place. Forget all the stuff your buddy and his recruiter told you. If you want to be a SEAL go be a SEAL.

SEAL officer slots are so ridiculously competitive that a lot of guys enlist with degrees. I will wager that the guys standing tall at the last BUD/S graduation didn't get there worrying about follow-on schools. Just my non-SEAL two cents. Good luck!

His source I'm assuming is his instructor from the DEP. I'm referring to post schools like if we talking about recon other possible schools could be ss and dive and I'm sure there's more

I figured the response would be like this.

It simply worried me because I don't want to have a lacking experience if I decide to simply get paid more and have a better retirement. In that case I would rather enlist
All SEALs dive, static line and freefall parachute
Get through the pipeline to see what schools are available.

I'm sure everyone can appreciate that you're looking for answers, but honestly the questions you're asking stem from bad information in the first place. Forget all the stuff your buddy and his recruiter told you. If you want to be a SEAL go be a SEAL.

SEAL officer slots are so ridiculously competitive that a lot of guys enlist with degrees. I will wager that the guys standing tall at the last BUD/S graduation didn't get there worrying about follow-on schools. Just my non-SEAL two cents. Good luck!

I understand you are used to seeing the normal 18 year old kid asking how hard buds is, and all of the other boot questions but I simply am not that person.

In most cases everyone thinks they know everything and sometimes it hard to get legitimate information. I will search around for my answer within the forum when I get a minute.

Thanks for your time everyone.

I understand you are used to seeing the normal 18 year old kid asking how hard buds is, and all of the other boot questions but I simply am not that person.

In most cases everyone thinks they know everything and sometimes it hard to get legitimate information. I will search around for my answer within the forum when I get a minute.

Dude. The point I'm trying to make is that answer doesn't exist. @DA SWO just gave you the best answer you're going to get. Drive on and kick ass, but don't sweat the little things.

Doing one's own research - its good that you eventually got there on your own. :thumbsup:

If you're equating officer vs. enlisted with fewer vs. more schools, your values aren't yet in the right place to hold a commission anyway, IMO.

Go enlisted.

My $.02.

If you're equating officer vs. enlisted with fewer vs. more schools, your values aren't yet in the right place to hold a commission anyway, IMO.

Go enlisted.

Doc brings up the point to end all points.

Really think about this.

Think about this logically for a second or 20. An officer's team time is rather finite whereas an enlisted's team time is almost forever. 1. There's less time for you to go to an "operational" school. 2. O's have different responsibilities than NCO's, so your schools will be more geared to that aspect of your career. "Fun stuff" like load planning or joint staff type courses.

I'm not a SEAL, but put it all into perspective. I'm not in a position to say you will or you won't do this or your head's in the wrong place, but think about it: a SEAL officer is not a "peer" in the truest sense of the word. No Officer is a peer in the truest sense of the word, so your school opportunities will never, ever equal that of your NCO's. If you're going the SEAL officer route, if that is your desire, be aware those slots are very finite and fiercely competitive. The odds of even showing up to BUD/S are long.

I have to ask one question though.
Why do you want to be a SEAL?
SEAL shit isn't all hollywood, and they operate in some really sucky conditions.

Devon, my career was non-SOF. I am a mustang. Enlisted at 17 and became an officer at 24. Enlisted was the most enjoyable hands on experience of my military career. Loads of doing it, loads of griping and moaning, loads of fun. I am proud of my choice to become an officer, but it's different. you do the crap paperwork, deal with the politics, and have to lead when your leadership chain seems to be making it up as they go. My advice is that if you choose to be an officer, the good officers are naturals...they know that leadership has to be within you. You have to care more about the people and mission success than anybody on the team, cuz your decisions decide the fate of many and the success of all. Leading by example isn't a phrase, it's a truth. Don't be an officer to be in charge, be one because people will follow you and you make the right calls...a lot, like intuition. On the SEAL officer choice, I defer to SEALs, but will say being a SOF teammate, first requires you to make it into SOF and that demands a special attitude, drive and luck. The first two you control. Best if you decide you want to be a SEAL or dying trying instead of a debating being SEAL officer or enlisted. You'll find yourself being a supply officer or something if your soul isn't hooked on making a team first and foremost. Good luck.

Hi so i have a question about getting to BUDS. So if i did Naval ROTC in college, once i was done would i have to become officer? Or could i do the ROTC but then just enlist? Because if i did do it and then try to become an officer and didnt get one of the rare ROTC slots for officer,would i just be able to go to enlisted and still go to BUDS even though i did the ROTC?

Back