Pirates... Again!!

You might not even have to leave the U.S. The Coast Guard is being restricted from doing some of the jobs that Congress assigned. Over the rail ops, even on drug raids, are no longer our purview. Risk avoidance is getting ridiculous.
Is the CG still running that program where they send their guys to BUD/S, SQT, and (if they pass everything) a SEAL Team for a couple years?

Is the CG still running that program where they send their guys to BUD/S, SQT, and (if they pass everything) a SEAL Team for a couple years?
The Admiral decommissioned the DOG in August. The guys in the SEAL program are pretty upset. Kind of by default it will go away because there is no real job to come back to.
http://www.marsec4.com/2011/08/decom-of-the-dog/

...Admiral Papp, elected to disestablish the DOG by 2013 despite recommendations by a panel who reviewed the program. Former DOG units will soon revert to reporting to Area commands, where they will be at a loss for standardized equipment and tactics, nationwide deployability, and a command with an understanding of their missions and the training and equipment it takes to meet them.
A DOG member quoted at Coast Guard Digest sums up the situation:
“…..the consensus was that the COMDT’s dislike of the DSF community and the DOG in particular has been borne out. I believe the COMDT has just told over 3,000 “shipmates” that their jobs do not matter to him because he has decapitated their leadership. He knows nothing of this line of work, especially the tremendous amount of training required to maintain tactical skills. After the COMDT secured the USCG SEAL program (my sources say those Coasties are preparing to put in lateral packages to the USN now that this has happened because they know they will have no place to which to return in the Coast Guard) we held out hope that the DOG would be spared. Not so.
Personally, I find this decision shortsighted and parochial. We’ll lose years of critical training and corporate knowledge with this move, as well. What a sad turn of events.”

The Admiral decommissioned the DOG in August. The guys in the SEAL program are pretty upset. Kind of by default it will go away because there is no real job to come back to.

...Admiral Papp, elected to disestablish the DOG by 2013 despite recommendations by a panel who reviewed the program. Former DOG units will soon revert to reporting to Area commands, where they will be at a loss for standardized equipment and tactics, nationwide deployability, and a command with an understanding of their missions and the training and equipment it takes to meet them.
“…..the consensus was that the COMDT’s dislike of the DSF community and the DOG in particular has been borne out. I believe the COMDT has just told over 3,000 “shipmates” that their jobs do not matter to him because he has decapitated their leadership. He knows nothing of this line of work, especially the tremendous amount of training required to maintain tactical skills. After the COMDT secured the USCG SEAL program (my sources say those Coasties are preparing to put in lateral packages to the USN now that this has happened because they know they will have no place to which to return in the Coast Guard) we held out hope that the DOG would be spared. Not so.
Personally, I find this decision shortsighted and parochial. We’ll lose years of critical training and corporate knowledge with this move, as well. What a sad turn of events.”

Damn.... That sucks for those guys. I don't understand this kind of mindset.....

Sorry to hear this. I wonder how this is going to effect the new active duty LEO rate the USCG approved? I had actually considered going CG a few years back and DOG was a big recruiting bonus for me.
Reed

Back