Pistol Marksmanship

This is a great thread. Keep up the good work J.A.B.

Indeed.

I wish I could watch the videos but we just got our pee pee's smacked for downloading video. So gay.

Very sound advise about marksmanship. Only hits count.

A quick story. I was attending a CQB course last year with some relatively well trained gentlemen from different agencies. The course had us doing flow drills, flat range, and live fire in the house. Some guys were decent at the flow drills, decent on the flat range, but the WHEELS FELL OFF when the two were put together in the house. Looking back, the marginal marksmanship on the flat range translated to horrendous shooting in the house where things were a bit more dynamic.

ONLY HITS COUNT!!

Another short story. I was at another course (I do that a bit) and a discussion amongst a group of students was taking place about suppressive fire and keeping the enemies' heads down. One very experienced student said from the back "I don't know about you guys, but I want them to keep their heads up....".

ONLY HITS COUNT.

Another short story. I was at another course (I do that a bit) and a discussion amongst a group of students was taking place about suppressive fire and keeping the enemies' heads down. One very experienced student said from the back "I don't know about you guys, but I want them to keep their heads up...."

I was attending a SWAT course a few years ago, which had a few BTDT SOF guys attending. I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he was always saying, “The best cover in the world is accurate fire on the enemy” that always stuck with me. Held very true when I deployed in 03.

Vickers also does a break down on how accuracy is diminished by 50% during high stress induced shooting such as in combat.

I was attending a SWAT course a few years ago, which had a few BTDT SOF guys attending. I can’t remember the guy’s name, but he was always saying, “The best cover in the world is accurate fire on the enemy” that always stuck with me. Held very true when I deployed in 03.

Vickers also does a break down on how accuracy is diminished by 50% during high stress induced shooting such as in combat.

That's the rule I use even for competition, 50%. I can usually do better, but I don't count on it. Having no combat experience, I can't comment there, but it comes as no surprise Vickers would say that. Practice practice! :confused:

Excellent point, I am horrible about tracking the target.

A poor area for me too. When I took a course with Jeff G, he pointed that out to me that I was failing to track targets. Something I try to work on. It's not an area comp shooting like IDPA helps much with, so unless you integrate yourself to perform it, it does not happen naturally (at least for me) while competing.

Movement and Tracking...

I get some of my training through work, but I would NOT call my boss a REAL High Speed experienced person. Yes, he was a corpsman in Vietnam, so not bad...he's definately BTDT in many ways (so still good stuff)...but our training is not on the level of a "Gunsite", for example.

My next move (after one more FREE class: Night Shooting) is to find a way to move to the NEXT LEVEL, so to speak. And THAT seems to be the concept of shooting accuratly ON THE MOVE! I do intend to get involved with IDPA here when the weather cools, but that doesn't give you much experience with BOTH the target and yourself moving (if at all). I know I'm going to get spanked for saying this, but I do believe there are some great training tools for learning Target Tracking/Both target and yourself moving...and it involves compressed air. :cool:;)
gabeforceonforce.jpg

J.A.B
I shot your 1x8 drill today. I just wanted to say thanks. I will continue to practice but I was suprised my off hand wasn't a problem. The eight rounds worked well for me I carry a Sig P239 daily so the number eight works well. I bought a Glock 36 but I am still trying to learn the trigger before I start carrying it.

People like you that take the chance and move forward in the world of critics are appreciated by us less knowledgeable mortals.

J.A.B
I shot your 1x8 drill today. I just wanted to say thanks. I will continue to practice but I was suprised my off hand wasn't a problem. The eight rounds worked well for me I carry a Sig P239 daily so the number eight works well. I bought a Glock 36 but I am still trying to learn the trigger before I start carrying it.

People like you that take the chance and move forward in the world of critics are appreciated by us less knowledgeable mortals.

I am glad to hear it! I will post some more drill's next week with some better video I hope. ;)

I know I'm going to get spanked for saying this, but I do believe there are some great training tools for learning Target Tracking/Both target and yourself moving...and it involves compressed air. :cool:;)

Agreed 100%, airsoft is a great tool for close range engagements. Great way to replicate stress, with out the high cost/liability of sims. If you think of cheap plastic guns from wal-mart when you think of airsoft, you have no idea what is out there. These pistols look, feel, and function just like the real thing and the short range ballistics are right on.

Back