Podcasts.

I am new to podcasts, I listen to NPR news in the morning but I have recently started to listen to BBC Persian (just the morning news) later in the workday when I get a chance. I grew up with it in the background, my grandfather and father both listened to it regularly.

I am new to podcasts, I listen to NPR news in the morning but I have recently started to listen to BBC Persian (just the morning news) later in the workday when I get a chance. I grew up with it in the background, my grandfather and father both listened to it regularly.
فارسی بلدی؟

nerd.2.jpg

Looks like a bunch of crap some kids scribbled in the goat shit enriched dirt with a stick and got everybody to agree it would be the "Persian Empires" official language.
To be fair to the Persians of late antiquity, their script (Pahlavi, or "Middle Persian") looked like this:

kap1.jpg

It wasn't until the Muslims conquered the Sassanian empire that the Persians began using a version of the Arab script.

The more you know!

To be fair to the Persians of late antiquity, their script (Pahlavi, or "Middle Persian") looked like this:

kap1.jpg

It wasn't until the Muslims conquered the Sassanian empire that the Persians began using a version of the Arab script.

The more you know!

Yeah I don't know about all that script stuff. But if you keep talking at me with them derka-derka words, I'm gonna have to give some good old freedom...MURICA! }:-)

I'm not really understanding this response? :-/

I was going to PM you but cant figure out how to do that. I truly apologize for that post, have since deleted it. I was in bed by 11:30pm last night and do not remember making that post it had a time stamp for 3:07am, but I know it was me due to the "holding your buddies head" bit as that a personal demon for me. So I truly and sincerely apologize for the comments. For the record, I don't have any issues with you or the opinion you gave in here.

I've been listening to the spycast - podcast from the international spy museum available on iTunes.

The host, the Spy Museum's chief historian, is a so-so interviewer. Definitely doesn't hold his guests to task when they have a controversial subject. However, most of the interviews are with authors and intelligence leaders on their published books or historical experience - so not a ton of controversy (the Drake interview and Snowden references made me furious but that was an outlier). Anyways, recommend it if intelligence history is something that interests you.

I can't link to it because of my gov't 'puter and stupid BlueCoat, but the Fall of Rome podcast on Soundcloud is pretty good. I think it is up to Episode 7 or something like that. The creator has a PhD and covers Barbarian life and the multitude of causes and effects leading to Rome's decline. We talk about the fall of American on this site and while I reject the outright Rome v. American comparisons I think there's some overlap between the two.

Thanks, @Freefalling. I look forward to listening to that one.

The podcast I've found myself listening to recently is Sam Harris's Waking Up. The episode called "What do Jihadists really want?" was a good listen.

I can't link to it because of my gov't 'puter and stupid BlueCoat, but the Fall of Rome podcast on Soundcloud is pretty good. I think it is up to Episode 7 or something like that. The creator has a PhD and covers Barbarian life and the multitude of causes and effects leading to Rome's decline. We talk about the fall of American on this site and while I reject the outright Rome v. American comparisons I think there's some overlap between the two.

There's one called The History of Rome. It's LONG and the guy has something of a monotone, but it goes deep into Rome and their relationships with other empires/kingdoms/etc and deeply into what historians claim vs. what's more likely to have transpired. And he does it pretty well for relating it to a a common audience (ie no significant assumption of knowledge other that a high-school-level history of Rome, Greece, etc).

I also like the fact that he compartmentalizes into 10-15 minute blocks. You're not stuck there for an hour if you need to take a break, but it doesn't gloss over too much of the history and lose depth.

If you're into the history of that era and area, it's fascinating, but will put you to sleep if you're not actively listening and looking for the history.

Episode 1 (blog page): 1- In the Beginning
Episode 1 (mp3): http://traffic.libsyn.com/historyofrome/01-_In_the_Beginning.mp3

Back