Preparing for School

Short Round

Verified Military
I recently got accepted to do a lateral move from the USMC 03 field to CI/HUMINT. Without violating any OPSEC guidelines I'm wondering what sort of work I can can be doing to better prepare myself for the schoolhouse. While I wait for the paper genies to process everything I've got an abundance of time and I don't want to waste it.

Im not an 0211 but I've worked with them a lot. Biggest thing I can reccomend is getting good at writing. I mean, get REALLY good. Familiarize yourself with naval letter format.

Im not an 0211 but I've worked with them a lot. Biggest thing I can reccomend is getting good at writing. I mean, get REALLY good. Familiarize yourself with naval letter format.
Thanks I'll start brushing up on it. Last time I had to use the format was doing drop packages for students at SOI but that was a while ago.
I had heard that adjectives were frowned upon and to get ready for a lot of black and white style writing.

That should help. Attention to detail is super important for these guys. The -2X loves to kick back reports for the most miniscule of errors so you'll save yourself a ton of rewrite time if you get each detail right the first time.

I'm not an 0211 however I have done some post-military work with a few guys so I will add role playing to your list. Learn how to lie very well. I'm sure this will be greatly covered in school but it's a good skill to have no matter what. You need to know how to be best friends with somebody that you despise, all based off of a fake life that you generate for yourself.

I've got a couple of journal articles on the subject I'll post up once I get back to a uni computer.

Short Round, do you have access to SIPR?

If so, get on SIPR and do a search for "Joint Counterintelligence Training Academy (JCITA)". There are some unclass basic overview of CI online courses.....all you need is a SIPR email account...AKO-S or similiar.

Just a thought.

Short Round, do you have access to SIPR?

If so, get on SIPR and do a search for "Joint Counterintelligence Training Academy (JCITA)". There are some unclass basic overview of CI online courses.....all you need is a SIPR email account...AKO-S or similiar.
I don't have a SIPR account however I've got a buddy in the school S2 who I believe has one and might be able to look it up. Thanks!

And SpitfireV I would really appreciate the articles!

Here you go mate. Apologies for the delay. I've got some more laying about on here too but I'll have to sort through them. These are just some CI/HUMINT ones. They might not be totally applicable but they're interesting to read. I had one written by an ex CIA DO type who was writeing about what makes a good case officer but I can't seem to find it right now. I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't distribute these beyond here but undoubtedly google will pick it up.

Attachments

• 02684521003588070.pdf
    166 KB · Views: 83
  • 08850600050140607.pdf
    336.4 KB · Views: 48
  • 08850600601079958.pdf
    403.4 KB · Views: 46
  • 08850601003798807.pdf
    105.7 KB · Views: 46
Here you go mate. Apologies for the delay. I've got some more laying about on here too but I'll have to sort through them. These are just some CI/HUMINT ones. They might not be totally applicable but they're interesting to read. I had one written by an ex CIA DO type who was writeing about what makes a good case officer but I can't seem to find it right now. I'd appreciate it if you guys didn't distribute these beyond here but undoubtedly google will pick it up.
Tango, I'll start reading these as soon as I get a chance. Its scary how much you can find on google these days, I researched everything I could find about the A&S board for CI/HUMINT and came away knowing more than I think I should have about what to expect.

These are all from journals that don't usually pop up on google but I think I'm stretching the terms of use lol.

Just wanted to say thanks again for all the info. I just recieved my orders to 1st Intel and have finished signing my extension. I've been taking college classes in my free time as well lately in order to get my mind ready to learn new things. Also here at SOI I've been jumping into classes during my off time IOT pick up new MOS's like 0351 and 0341. Not really sure if these are going to prove beneficial although career wise I'm sure that they cannot hurt. I'm looking forward to this challenge and hope that it will be a rewarding experience in the end. The most exciting part of this is that I have absolutely no idea what to expect as an 0211. Obviously a lot of reporting, but other than that I've heard all kinds of crazy stories regarding HET guys from some of my old buddies now in MSOB and Recon. Now... I'm not going to assume that every story is true, however just the thought that I'd be able to support operations at a more precise level is exciting. I'm lucky enough to have a wife that is 110% on board with me doing this and a command that has put up with me jumping into a multitude of side projects to prepare for this transition.

Back