Queen Elizabeth has died.

The beeb is live-streaming outside of Balmoral right now; no official word has been posted, but they’ve already gone to mourning motif of the landing page of their mobile site. It likely won’t be long.

Sounds like she’s medicated and just waiting on the family to arrive before she shuffles off.

The Queen was only one month younger than my grandmother, so this hits home for me. The world she was born into does not exist anymore. She was present for so many historical events, and now her passing is an historical event in itself. For someone who was originally not supposed to ascend the throne, she did a remarkable job, for better and for worse.

Any discussion of the Queen always reminds me of this scene from Unforgiven…

For perspective, this movie took place in 1881, and Queen Elizabeth was born in 1926.

Last edited:
I'm not a fan of the monarchy and I subscribe to the whole "we fought a whole Revolution to not care about the UK's royal family" camp.|

However, a lot of my Commonwealth friends had a lot of love for their queen, and the UK is our strongest and (IMO) most important ally. And by all accounts she seems to have been a pretty decent human being. So that's how I'm choosing to approach this development.

I can not get myself to give a flying shit about this event.

Sic semper tyrannis, quoth Marcus Junius Brutus.
I'm not a fan of the monarchy and I subscribe to the whole "we fought a whole Revolution to not care about the UK's royal family" camp.|

However, a lot of my Commonwealth friends had a lot of love for their queen, and the UK is our strongest and (IMO) most important ally. And by all accounts she seems to have been a pretty decent human being. So that's how I'm choosing to approach this development.
This is a case study (see what I did there?!) in the sheer diversity of opinions on the board.

Glad I could find the cynical end range to offset your professionalism and grace. 😎

Back