Question about Option 40

chickenrappa

Hello there fellow men. I am currently looking into getting an 11B Option 40 contract. I tried to ask my recruiter a few questions today but I was told that any sort of medical waiver or wearing glasses to join the army with that option was an immediate disqualifier for that contract. He also was talking about RIP, and that I needed a tab before I even went to RIP, and didn't seem to be up to date on info. I am going to ask my question here. If I wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, is that a disqualifier from going Option 40? Also, if I need a med waiver for a major surgery that happened when I was a child, and it was a birth defect and bypass heart surgery but was done when I was still well underage, I was cleared two years ago by the Army to do ROTC (never needed a waiver), but never chased it down and am now looking to go enlisted instead. My surgery was over 5 years ago, is that a disqualifier? I know most of you are probably not doctors, but the statement they made was rather general and I don't know what to believe. So in general, do you know if you can get a contract if you don't have perfect eyesight or wear corrective lenses, and if you have a med waiver for a major surgery long ago, would that be a disqualifier? Do any of you gentlemen know? If anybody does, please let me know. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

We usually tend to direct people back to their recruiters when asking these sort of questions, but seeing as how it's been RASP since 2010 and your recruiter
was talking about RIP, and that I needed a tab before I even went to RIP,
I get the feeling he might not be doing as a good a job as he should.

@Centermass is sort of the resident expert here for everything OP 40, so he might have some answers for you.

Yeah I had to correct him on the whole RASP versus RIP deal, and they didn't seem to know alot about it. I just was wondering in general if anybody here knew if they were lying to try to get me to go conventional Infantry and not have to swing an Option 40 for me.

I just was wondering in general if anybody here knew if they were lying to try to get me to go conventional Infantry and not have to swing an Option 40 for me.

Out of curiosity, then what? Are you going to march into his office and tell him some guy on the internet says he’s full of shit and you ‘demand’ a 40?

Hello there fellow men. I am currently looking into getting an 11B Option 40 contract. I tried to ask my recruiter a few questions today but I was told that any sort of medical waiver or wearing glasses to join the army with that option was an immediate disqualifier for that contract. He also was talking about RIP, and that I needed a tab before I even went to RIP, and didn't seem to be up to date on info. I am going to ask my question here. If I wear eyeglasses or contact lenses, is that a disqualifier from going Option 40? Also, if I need a med waiver for a major surgery that happened when I was a child, and it was a birth defect and bypass heart surgery but was done when I was still well underage, I was cleared two years ago by the Army to do ROTC (never needed a waiver), but never chased it down and am now looking to go enlisted instead. My surgery was over 5 years ago, is that a disqualifier? I know most of you are probably not doctors, but the statement they made was rather general and I don't know what to believe. So in general, do you know if you can get a contract if you don't have perfect eyesight or wear corrective lenses, and if you have a med waiver for a major surgery long ago, would that be a disqualifier? Do any of you gentlemen know? If anybody does, please let me know. Thanks for any insight you can give me.

Seeing how you never mentioned the exact reason as to what the birth defect was, requiring bypass heart surgery, here's the regulation:

2–18. Heart a. Current or history of all valvular heart diseases, congenital (746) or acquired (394), including those improved by surgery, are disqualifying. Mitral valve prolapse or bicuspid aortic valve is not disqualifying unless there is associated tachyarrhythmia, mitral regurgitation, aortic stenosis, insufficiency, or cardiomegaly. b. Current or history coronary heart disease (410) is disqualifying. c. Current or history of symptomatic arrhythmia or electrocardiographic evidence of arrhythmia.

(1) Current or history of supraventricular tachycardia (427.0), or any arrhythmia originating from the atrium or sinoatrial node, such as atrial flutter, and atrial fibrillation, unless there has been no recurrence during the preceding 2 years while off all medications, is disqualifying. Premature atrial or ventricular contractions sufficiently symptomatic to require treatment, or result in physical or psychological impairment, are disqualifying.

(2) Current or history of ventricular arrhythmias (427.1), including ventricular fibrillation, tachycardia, or multifocal premature ventricular contractions, is disqualifying. Occasional asymptomatic unifocal premature ventricular contractions are not disqualifying.

(3) Current or history of ventricular conduction disorders, including, but not limited to disorders with left bundle branch block (426.2), Mobitz type II second degree atrioventricular (AV) block (426.12), and third degree AV block (426.0). and Lown-Ganong-Levine-Syndrome (426.81) associated with an arrhythmia are disqualifying. Current or history of Wolff-Parkinson-White Syndrome (426.7), unless it has been successfully ablated for a period of 2 years without recurrence of arrhythmia and now with a normal electrocardiogram, is disqualifying.

(4) Current or history of conduction disturbances such as first degree AV block (426.11), left anterior hemiblock (426.2), right bundle branch block (426.4), or Mobitz type I second degree AV block (426.13) are disqualifying when symptomatic or associated with underlying cardiovascular disease. d. Current cardiomegaly, hypertrophy or dilatation of the heart (429.3) are disqualifying. e. Current or history of cardiomyopathy (425), including myocarditis (422), or congestive heart failure (428), is disqualifying. f. Current or history of pericarditis (420) (acute nonrheumatic), unless the individual is free of all symptoms for 2 years, and has no evidence of cardiac restriction or persistent pericardial effusion, is disqualifying. g. Current persistent tachycardia (785.1) (resting pulse rate of 100 beats per minute or greater) is disqualifying. h. Current or history of congenital anomalies of heart and great vessels (746), except for corrected patent ductus arteriosus, are disqualifying.

5–3. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training (Heart - In addition to the above)

j. Heart and vascular system. Paragraphs 2–18 through 2–19, except for Special Forces training and duty: blood pressure with a preponderant systolic of less than 90 mmHg or greater than 140 mmHg or a preponderant diastolic of less than 60 mmHG or greater than 90 mmHg, regardless of age. Unsatisfactory orthostatic tolerance test is also disqualifying.

Your eyes:

2–12. Eyes a. Lids.

(1) Current blepharitis (373), chronic or acute, until cured (373.00), is disqualifying.

(2) Current blepharospasm (333.81) is disqualifying.

(3) Current dacryocystitis, acute or chronic (375.30) is disqualifying.

(4) Deformity of the lids (374.4), complete or extensive lid deformity, sufficient to interfere with vision or impair protection of the eye from exposure is disqualifying.

(5) Current growths or tumors of the eyelid, other than small, non-progressive, asymptomatic, benign lesions, are disqualifying.
b. Conjunctiva.

(1) Current chronic conjunctivitis (372.1), including, but not limited to trachoma (076) and chronic allergic conjunctivitis (372.14), is disqualifying.

(2) Current or recurrent pterygium, (372.4), if condition encroaches on the cornea in excess of 3 mm, or interferes with vision, or is a progressive peripheral pterygium (372.42), or recurring pterygium after two operative procedures (372.45), is disqualifying.

(3) Current xerophthalmia (372.53) is disqualifying.

c. Cornea. (1) Current or history of corneal dystrophy of any type (371.5), including but not limited to keratoconus (371.6) of any degree is disqualifying. (2) History of refractive surgery including, but not limited to: Lamellar (P11.7) and/or penetrating keratoplasty (P11.6). Radial Keratotomy and Astigmatic Keratotomy is disqualifying. Refractive surgery performed with an Excimer L a s e r , i n c l u d i n g b u t n o t l i m i t e d t o , P h o t o r e f r a c t i v e K e r a t e c t o m y ( c o m m o n l y k n o w n a s P R K ) , L a s e r E p i t h e l i a l Keratomileusis (commonly known as LASEK), and Laser-Assisted in situ Keratomileusis (commonly known as LASIK) (P11.7) is disqualifying if any of the following conditions are met: (a) Pre-surgical refractive error in either eye exceeds + 8.00 to - 8.00 diopters. (b) At least 6 months recovery period has not occurred between last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and accession medical examination. (c) There have been complications, and/or medications or ophthalmic solutions are required.

(d) Post-surgical refraction in each eye is not stable as demonstrated by— 1. At least two separate refractions at least one month apart, the most recent of which demonstrates more than +/- 0.50 diopters difference for spherical vision and/or more than +/- 0.25 diopters for cylinder vision; and 2. At least 3 months recovery has not occurred between the last refractive surgery or augmenting procedure and one of the comparison refractions.

e) Pre-surgical and post-surgical refractive error does not meet the standards for the Military Service to which the candidate is applying. (3) Current keratitis (370), acute or chronic, including, but not limited to recurrent corneal ulcers (370.0), erosions (abrasions), or herpetic ulcers (054.42) is disqualifying. (4) Current corneal vascularization (370.6) or corneal opacification (371) from any cause that is progressive or reduces vision below the standards prescribed in paragraph 2–13 is disqualifying.

d. Uveitis or iridocyclitis. Current or history of uveitis or iridocyclitis (364.3) is disqualifying.

e. Retina. (1) Current or history of retinal defects and dystrophies, angiomatoses (759.6), retinoschisis and retinal cysts (361.1), phakomas (362.89), and other congenito-retinal hereditary conditions (362.7) that impair visual function or are progressive, are disqualifying.

(2) Current or history of any chorioretinal or retinal inflammatory conditions, including, but not limited to conditions leading to neovascularization, chorioretinitis, histoplasmosis, toxoplasmosis, or vascular conditions of the eye to include Coats’ disease, or Eales’ disease (363) is disqualifying.

(3) Current or history of degenerative changes of any part of the retina (362) is disqualifying.

(4) Current or history of detachment of the retina (361), history of surgery for same, or peripheral retinal injury, defect (361.3), or degeneration that may cause retinal detachment is disqualifying.

f. Optic nerve.

(1) Current or history of optic neuritis (377.3), including, but not limited to neuroretinitis, secondary optic atrophy, or documented history of retrobulbar neuritis is disqualifying.

(2) Current or history of optic atrophy (377.1), or cortical blindness (377.75) is disqualifying.

(3) Current or history of papilledema (377.0) is disqualifying. g. Lens. (1) Current aphakia (379.31), history of lens implant, or current or history of dislocation of a lens is disqualifying.

(2) Current or history of opacities of the lens (366) that interfere with vision or that are considered to be progressive, including cataract (366.9), are disqualifying.

h. Ocular mobility and motility.

(1) Current diplopia (386.2) is disqualifying.

(2) Current nystagmus (379.50) other than physiologic “end-point nystagmus” is disqualifying. (3) Esotropia (378.0), and hypertropia (378.31). For entrance into the USMA or ROTC programs, the following conditions are also disqualifying: esotropia of over 15 prism diopters; exotropia of over 10 prism diopters; hypertropia of over 5 prism diopters.

i. Miscellaneous defects and conditions.

(1) Current or history of abnormal visual fields due to disease of the eye or central nervous system (368.4), or trauma (368.9) is disqualifying.

(2) Absence of an eye, clinical anophthalmos, unspecified congenital (743.00) or acquired, or current or history of other disorders of globe (360.8) is disqualifying.

(3) Current asthenopia (368.13), is disqualifying.

(4) Current unilateral or bilateral non-familial exophthalmos (376) is disqualifying.

(5) Current or history of glaucoma (365), including, but not limited to primary, secondary, or pre-glaucoma as evidenced by intraocular pressure above 21 millimeters of mercury (mmHg), or changes in the optic disc or visual field loss associated with glaucoma, is disqualifying.

(6) Current loss of normal pupillary reflex reactions to accommodation (367.5) or light (379.4), including Adie’s syndrome, is disqualifying.

(7) Current night blindness (368.6) is disqualifying.

(8) Current or history of retained intraocular foreign body (360) is disqualifying.

(9) Current or history of any organic disease of the eye (360) or adnexa (376) not specified above, which threatens vision or visual function, is disqualifying

Your vision:

2–13. Vision

a. Current distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct with spectacle lenses to at least one of the following (367) is disqualifying:

(1) 20/40 in one eye and 20/70 in the other eye.

(2) 20/30 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye.

(3) 20/20 in one eye and 20/400 in the other eye.

b. However, for entrance into USMA or ROTC, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/40 in the other eye is disqualifying. For entrance into OCS, distant visual acuity that does not correct to 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye is disqualifying.

c. Current near visual acuity (367) of any degree that does not correct to 20/40 in the better eye is disqualifying.

d. Current refractive error (hyperopia (367.0), myopia (367.1), astigmatism (367.2)), or history of refractive error prior to any refractive surgery manifest by any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than -8.00 or +8.00 diopters is disqualifying. However, for entrance into USMA or Army ROTC programs, the following conditions are disqualifying: (1) Astigmatism, all types over 3 diopters. (2) Hyperopia over 8.00 diopters spherical equivalent. (3) Myopia over 8 diopters spherical equivalent. (4) Refractive error corrected by orthokeratology or keratorefractive surgery.

e. Contact lenses. Current complicated cases requiring contact lenses for adequate correction of vision, such as corneal scars (371) and irregular astigmatism (367.2), are disqualifying.

f. Color vision (368.5). Failure to pass a color vision test is not an automatic disqualification. Although there is no standard, color vision will be tested because adequate color vision is a prerequisite for entry into many military specialties. However, for entrance into the USMA or Army ROTC or OCS programs, the inability to distinguish and identify without confusion the color of an object, substance, material, or light that is uniformly colored a vivid red or vivid green is disqualifying.

Vision addendum 5–3. Medical fitness standards for initial selection for Airborne training, Ranger training (Reference the above where noted)

g. Eyes and vision.

(1) Paragraphs 2–12 and 2–13 with exceptions noted below.

(2) For Airborne and Ranger training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to at least 20/20 in one eye and 20/100 in the other eye within 8 diopters of plus or minus refractive error, with spectacle lenses.

(3) For Special Forces training: Distant visual acuity of any degree that does not correct to 20/20 in both eyes with spectacle lenses. Any refractive error in spherical equivalent of worse than plus or minus 8 diopters.

(4) For Airborne and Special Forces training: Failure to pass the PIP set or FALANT test for color vision (see para 4–2a) unless the applicant is able to identify vivid red and/or vivid green as projected by the Ophthalmological Projector or the Stereoscope, Vision Testing (SVT).

Last edited:
I appreciate the info, and I am glad that you were able to help me figure it out. It looks like I will have no issues, considering I am corrected to 20/20 in both eyes, and my previous heart issue is not listed there as a disqualifier. Well, at least in the medical department. Now to take care of the rest of it.

Does anyone know if "history" is YOUR history or your family's history? I have family history of heart disease. I always assumed it was the applicant's history vice their family's

If it doesn't specify family, I've always taken it to mean me alone. Such as: "any history of joint issues?".

Back