.Questions about Marine Raiders (MARSOC)

Depends on unit tempo: when they have time to let you attend A&S, if they want you to do a 2nd or 3rd deployment, or if they like you enough to sign off on it, etc. Hard to say. It's not really something you have to worry about right now. Once you get to your unit you'll have a good feel for all of that stuff, and have more questions and the MARSOC recruiters/Career planner available to you.
You have no idea how much I appreciate both you and @Stanimal for the advice, alongside those that replied to my post. I can't say thank you enough!

"Would you know how being a 0861 Fire Support Marine could in some aspect be beneficial for overall Team cohesiveness?"

Let's see....if I were a 0861 who deployed twice, then got selected for service within MARSOC.... How could those skills I learned as a Fire Support Marine be incorporated into my new MOS?
  1. Be a good Marine
  2. Be the best at whatever job I'm given
  3. Be physically and mentally tough
  4. Know my MOS inside and out
  5. Be a team player
  6. Share lessons learned from previous deployments with my new team members
  7. Know the characteristics and limitations of all indirect fire weapons systems
  8. Understand how best to incorporate fires into planning and operations to increase survivability and lethality on the battlefield
  9. Never forget where I came from and that I am a Marine first, and a Special Operator second
  10. Be humble
  11. Always be learning something new, and when the opportunity presents itself, teach someone what I know
  12. Etc, etc,...and the list goes on and on...

"Would you know how being a 0861 Fire Support Marine could in some aspect be beneficial for overall Team cohesiveness?"

Let's see....if I were a 0861 who deployed twice, then got selected for service within MARSOC.... How could those skills I learned as a Fire Support Marine be incorporated into my new MOS?
  1. Be a good Marine
  2. Be the best at whatever job I'm given
  3. Be physically and mentally tough
  4. Know my MOS inside and out
  5. Be a team player
  6. Share lessons learned from previous deployments with my new team members
  7. Know the characteristics and limitations of all indirect fire weapons systems
  8. Understand how best to incorporate fires into planning and operations to increase survivability and lethality on the battlefield
  9. Never forget where I came from and that I am a Marine first, and a Special Operator second
  10. Be humble
  11. Always be learning something new, and when the opportunity presents itself, teach someone what I know
  12. Etc, etc,...and the list goes on and on...
Thank you once again sir for the words of advice, and I will take them with me throughout my journey within the Marine Corps.

The way you are responding makes me feel like we're about to send you from the gates of our protected city into a vast, unexplored world of mystery and danger.

Relax man. A lot of people have been Marines before you and its not that intense.
Haha I'm sorry, I just want to be as respectful as I can be. Thanks.

I appreciate your enthusiasm and long range planning but I think you're going about this the wrong way. Don't choose your MOS to best suit MARSOC. Choose the MOS to best suit you and go be the best Marine you can be. You will perform better and get higher Pro/Cons if you enjoy your job. That will help you get selected for MARSOC.

Personally I would push you towards the infantry but I'm incredibly biased. The Marine Corps enterprise is designed to support the infantry and everything centers around our infantry units. Infantry Marines are thrust into leadership roles early in their careers and can experience tremendous professional growth if they have the right attitude, drive, and maturity.

Last edited:
I appreciate your enthusiasm and long range planning but I think you're going about this the wrong way. Don't choose your MOS to best suit MARSOC. Choose the MOS to best suit you and go be the best Marine you can be. You will perform better and get higher Pro/Cons if you enjoy your job. That will help you get selected for MARSOC.

Personally I would push you towards the infantry but I'm incredibly biased. The Marine Corps enterprise is designed to support the infantry and everything centers around our infantry units. Infantry Marines are thrust into leadership roles early in their careers and can experience tremendous professional growth if they have the right attitude, drive, and maturity.
I can't agree even more, after putting thought into my choices of MOSs, Infantry was always something that was intriguing to me. I just wanted to see how in the eyes of Marines that have been there would have gone about it. But as soon as the new contracts come in I'll be definitely pick a 03xx contract. Thank you again for the insight!

Back