Raid on President Trump's Home

IMO its all about maintaining power and they are afraid that Trump could win again. These folks want him gone because he's disruptive. This has been the objective from the beginnning in 2016 and it hasn't changed.

Last edited:
All they care about is stopping anyone that could serve as a roadblock to their forward momentum. Whoever is considered a threat is a target. Right now, it’s Trump and they will continue to fire for effect on him until he is replaced by someone else.

This is an exquisite little question, especially since we now know the Dems will fund Republicans (farther right) to beat more centrist R's they think they can beat in larger races.

After really examining the complete and total dog shit planning that the dems do in political chess (they're fucking terrible); do the Dems think that Trump is a threat and they want to damage him now? If so, what's the end state- to not run at all, or to damage him in such a way that all they have to do is point and say, "SEE?! TRUMP BAD!" and hope Biden or the actual presumptive Dem nom wins because they assume his ego is too big to NOT run."

It can't be both. They've spent too much time (6 years), money and political capital, and I think the rank and file are finally getting wise. It's all good to complain about mean tweets and dumb shit a guy says when you throw a dart at investments and make 100% returns or when gas is under $2.

Now... it's a mix of the boy who cried wolf, reality and economics smacking those people right in their smug little faces.

The most absolutely insane thing that Trump could do right now? Keep doing what he's doing, soak up all the attention and vitriol, and then endorse DeSantis (running mate Nikki Haley).

Then, Trump goes out and does what Trump is good at- stumping for the base, and throwing his full weight behind a ticket that can win and leaves the Dems holding the bag.

But, he won't, and that won't happen, because there is no benevolent force pulling the strings and the universe is a cold and horrifyingly brutal place that does not care about your political machinations.

After really examining the complete and total dog shit planning that the dems do in political chess (they're fucking terrible); do the Dems think that Trump is a threat and they want to damage him now? If so, what's the end state- to not run at all, or to damage him in such a way that all they have to do is point and say, "SEE?! TRUMP BAD!" and hope Biden or the actual presumptive Dem nom wins because they assume his ego is too big to NOT run."

Establishment Dems and Latte Liberals are still very much focused on the "bad man can't be elected because he's bad" mindset they were when Hillary tried to trot it out in 2016. They still haven't understood that majority of people who aren't a registered Dem doesn't really give a shit about what Trump has said or accused of if it's not legitimately criminal.

They keep trying to play politics as some Ivy League debate club when it's really just the WWE to most people, and Trump is the best heel they've seen in years. They don't understand that a good heel will always have more audience support then a boring babyface.

The most absolutely insane thing that Trump could do right now? Keep doing what he's doing, soak up all the attention and vitriol, and then endorse DeSantis (running mate Nikki Haley).

Then, Trump goes out and does what Trump is good at- stumping for the base, and throwing his full weight behind a ticket that can win and leaves the Dems holding the bag.

If I was a GOP strategist, this would be the combo I'd be pushing. DeSantis has the media savvy and culture war positions of Trump, without any of the personal baggage Trump brings. He also has the military (Navy JAG) and religious (practicing Roman Catholic) Trump lacked. Hell, he can even throw out the time he was attacked by a crazy liberal and how he still supports gun rights. Dude is a younger, more politically viable Trump, and I think even never-Trumpers would support him.

Haley hits that sweet spot with right leaning/centrist voters that DeSantis might not. A minority woman, born to immigrant parents, who was a governor and U.N. ambassador? Hard to see the Dems having an easy way to attack her.
She also hits that moderate position of "I don't support Trump's actions on Jan 6th/election was stolen, but the committee is politically motivated".

I don't see a DNC team-up that beats them unless a necromancer resurrects FDR and Kennedy.

Is it? I think they are banking on him fighting and making noise to fracture the GOP. Right now polls are favoring the Democrats, and part because of this. I think if he stepped down the Republicans would galvanize and head through the back two years of this campaign season unified.

I believe that’s exactly what will happen. Trump will run, the party will split into two factions, and the Democrats will win.

Establishment Dems and Latte Liberals are still very much focused on the "bad man can't be elected because he's bad" mindset they were when Hillary tried to trot it out in 2016. They still haven't understood that majority of people who aren't a registered Dem doesn't really give a shit about what Trump has said or accused of if it's not legitimately criminal.

They keep trying to play politics as some Ivy League debate club when it's really just the WWE to most people, and Trump is the best heel they've seen in years. They don't understand that a good heel will always have more audience support then a boring babyface.

If I was a GOP strategist, this would be the combo I'd be pushing. DeSantis has the media savvy and culture war positions of Trump, without any of the personal baggage Trump brings. He also has the military (Navy JAG) and religious (practicing Roman Catholic) Trump lacked. Hell, he can even throw out the time he was attacked by a crazy liberal and how he still supports gun rights. Dude is a younger, more politically viable Trump, and I think even never-Trumpers would support him.

Haley hits that sweet spot with right leaning/centrist voters that DeSantis might not. A minority woman, born to immigrant parents, who was a governor and U.N. ambassador? Hard to see the Dems having an easy way to attack her.
She also hits that moderate position of "I don't support Trump's actions on Jan 6th/election was stolen, but the committee is politically motivated".

I don't see a DNC team-up that beats them unless a necromancer resurrects FDR and Kennedy.
Yup, that's why I said it. Also, because of the aforementioned nihilism (I am not a nihilist, but it's what the cool kids do now) that's why I am sure it doesn't happen. It makes the most sense, and would probably do the most good for the most people.

Imagine if Trump just did this:
  1. Absolutely skullfuck the establishment media for years, baiting them with wilder and wilder stuff. Keeps his fundraising (record breaking, I might add) pace and continues to fight "the narrative".
  2. Acts (righteously) as martyr, prophet and oracle, all in once. Just replay the 300 times he said something, was lambasted, and then was right. German fuel independence...the 60 minutes interview about Russia and Biden's laptop...gas prices...assault on normal values...coming for the 2A...government overreach and spying... all true. Literally all true things he said. He should just flame everyone that doubted him. Show footage of BLM and Antifa riots, everywhere.
  3. Waits until the absolute last minute; comes out and says, "They hate me too much! Just like they hate YOU! I will do ANYTHING I can to help this country, one that's being destroyed by the left- I love it so much, I'll take all the hate, and all the lies- and I will step aside because we have a team that could fix this! Not tomorrow, not next year- TODAY. We need your full support behind them- look what they did to me, your favorite president!"

They would give DeSantis and Haley 2 terms, right off the rip.

Yup, that's why I said it. Also, because of the aforementioned nihilism (I am not a nihilist, but it's what the cool kids do now) that's why I am sure it doesn't happen. It makes the most sense, and would probably do the most good for the most people.

Imagine if Trump just did this:
  1. Absolutely skullfuck the establishment media for years, baiting them with wilder and wilder stuff. Keeps his fundraising (record breaking, I might add) pace and continues to fight "the narrative".
  2. Acts (righteously) as martyr, prophet and oracle, all in once. Just replay the 300 times he said something, was lambasted, and then was right. German fuel independence...the 60 minutes interview about Russia and Biden's laptop...gas prices...assault on normal values...coming for the 2A...government overreach and spying... all true. Literally all true things he said. He should just flame everyone that doubted him. Show footage of BLM and Antifa riots, everywhere.
  3. Waits until the absolute last minute; comes out and says, "They hate me too much! Just like they hate YOU! I will do ANYTHING I can to help this country, one that's being destroyed by the left- I love it so much, I'll take all the hate, and all the lies- and I will step aside because we have a team that could fix this! Not tomorrow, not next year- TODAY. We need your full support behind them- look what they did to me, your favorite president!"

They would give DeSantis and Haley 2 terms, right off the rip.

That was totally worthy of the gay love icon....

1. Fuck that icon.
2. Some really, really solid posts on this page.
CONCUR

edited to add: I'm glad that people have decided to act like professionals in this thread so that it can keep going. I've seen a lot of good posts here, including several from a point of view I didn't agree with but nonetheless thought were thoughtful and well-argued.

Last edited:
Here's a really good article on the legal factors that are at play and how they may relate to this event.
It's one of the more balanced takes I've seen so far.

From the intro (paraphrased to show the author's approach to balancing viewpoints):

Several sensible commentators—including George Will, Damon Linker, and David Brooks—think Attorney General Merrick Garland made a mistake, perhaps a disastrous one, in executing the search warrant at Mar-a-Lago.... They are right in this sense: Trump supporters would have viewed any criminal legal process directed at Trump from the Biden Justice Department as, in Linker’s words, “an illegitimate act undertaken by an alien, tyrannical ‘Regime’ resembling a Third World dictatorship.”... Which is not to say that Garland made the wrong decision. On that question it is far too early to tell. Will is right to suggest that Garland’s decision, even if scrupulously nonpolitical in intent, is “inherently political” and should be judged by how well he “adjust tidy principles to untidy realities” and “balance competing objectives.”.... And yet Trump has for all his adult life, and especially during his presidency and postpresidency, shown contempt for law. The FBI’s belief that Trump acted illegally in bringing scores of sensitive documents to Florida, or in not returning them upon request, is very far from shocking..... Garland will be judged over the coming days and months and years on whether that point had been reached—whether Trump’s indifference to law, and the failures of negotiations with Trump to right his wrongs, and the stakes of the information Trump possessed, justified the Mar-a-Lago search.

Here's a really good article on the legal factors that are at play and how they may relate to this event.
It's one of the more balanced takes I've seen so far.

From the intro (paraphrased to show the author's approach to balancing viewpoints):

Balanced? Reads like a case of TDS to me. How many times in one article do you need to point out "orange man bad" ?

Absolutely outstanding. That article is arguing that you can have due process suspended if you, you know, resist the obviously biased and coordinated federal agencies that have 100% been out to get you.

You’ve made a great point on this issue, @Cookie_ , it’s just not the one you set out to make.

Get your hot takes in, everyone else. This is about to be the old thing; I assume the next thing is probably brewing AND ITS THE WORST ONE YET.

Balanced? Reads like a case of TDS to me. How many times in one article do you need to point out "orange man bad" ?

Everything even slightly critical of Trump is TDS to you man, so I'm not sure what more you want.

Trump isn't perfect. Trump has long flirted with pushing the law as far as he can and has expressed disdain for it throughout his public life; pointing that out shouldn't be suprising.

Absolutely outstanding. That article is arguing that you can have due process suspended if you, you know, resist the obviously biased and coordinated federal agencies that have 100% been out to get you.

You’ve made a great point on this issue, @Cookie_ , it’s just not the one you set out to make.

Get your hot takes in, everyone else. This is about to be the old thing; I assume the next thing is probably brewing AND ITS THE WORST ONE YET.

I think we had different readings of that article.

The author is highlighting how this could be "real big deal" or "nothing burger", based on how broad these legal codes can be applied. He isn't arguing that's a good thing, and literally starts the article

I have long worried (here, and, more recently, here) about the adverse consequences of the Biden Justice Department using criminal process against former President Trump.

and ends the article

There are too many imponderables here to assess this issue at this point. But in general, and even assuming very bad acts by Team Trump, the more unprecedented investigatory and prosecutorial steps that one administration takes in response to the acts of a prior administration, the worse. If there is a lot more to come, and it seems that there is, that will put more pressure on the question whether Garland acted prudently out of practical necessity in executing the Mar-a-Lago warrant.

All of Garland’s decisions will be judged, as former FBI Director James Comey once wrote, not from the perspective of “urgency and exigency” under which he acted but, rather, from the “perfect, and brutally unfair, vision of hindsight.” Hopefully Garland anticipated this hindsight judgment and acted with a scrupulous attention to process, and with a fair-minded, non-overreactive assessment of the facts, and of what needed to be done, all things considered.

saying he's worried about this being a "gotcha" styled attack on Trump.

Back