Random Thoughts from an Old Support Guy

Status
Not open for further replies.
Here's the deal:

The core of the SPECIAL FORCES Regiment is the ODA, period. Any non-tabbed personnel in Group exists to support the ODAs, period. You made a distinction between the ODA and the SF mission. I don't even know where to begin.

Also, most of the Group support guys on the memorial wall you referenced are direct support guys in highly specialized fields that don't have a lot in common with you as a log barn guy or whatever you did. That said, if every support guy disappeared one day, the ODAs/ODB would still more than likely find a way to get shit done. That's all I care to elaborate on that.

without having been through any qualification or otherwise proving they're not a shitbag.
Our support wears the same f'ing beret as everyone else in the unit, because they earned that shit.

We've discussed this numerous times on the board already. So long as USASFC/JFKSWCS don't really give a crap about who can be a red hat in their units, they are sometimes going to have substandard support guys. AND... SF guys are going to be suspicious of support guys they no personal experience with, or at least have a warm and fuzzy assessment of from someone else they trust.

Also, most of the Group support guys on the memorial wall you referenced are direct support guys in highly specialized fields that don't have a lot in common with you as a log barn guy or whatever you did. That said, if every support guy disappeared one day, the ODAs/ODB would still more than likely find a way to get shit done. That's all I care to elaborate on that.

They'd go back "to the old days, and do it themselves".

I was in a unit that had ZERO support personnel. We became supply experts, commo/computer Gods, admin weinies; and covered any additional crap thrown at us.

Having support guys would have been great, but we functioned quite well without.

I think paperwork requirements would decrease 50% if we eliminated most of the support MOS/AFSC's etc.

We've discussed this numerous times on the board already. So long as USASFC/JFKSWCS don't really give a crap about who can be a red hat in their units, they are sometimes going to have substandard support guys. AND... SF guys are going to be suspicious of support guys they no personal experience with, or at least have a warm and fuzzy assessment of from someone else they trust.

As well they should be.

Regiment had paperwork, but generally the only paperwork that the line units saw was counseling forms, and hand reciepts... and very rarely when shit went sideways equipment wise, sworn statements or statements of charges.

You'd have to do your big army paperwork for promotions and the like, but even that was minimal.

We had a whopping 6-9 "support" guys per company.

Training room and armory? Ranger Infantrymen with injuries and longer term profiles, or who were within a year of getting out with no intent of re-enlisting but a high level of "I'm working till I'm out" motivation.

Supply was done by supply, and commo was done by commo. Medics, 1 per platoon with tack-on's from HHC depending on mission planning or support requirements for ranges. FO's, one per platoon. Everyone directly contributed to combat missions. Our supply guy would do his loggie work getting requests sent back for more shit we needed inbetween patrols with the CO/1SG. The commo guys would be working radios and also rolling with the CO/1SG on missions unless the RTO was competent and SGT/SSG Commoman knew that Ranger Psych (as an example) would make sure everyone could talk with no disruption. NBC dude would make sure that shit was straight and would be giving classes to the smarter and pushed forward for classes Rangers about the additional equipment we had for known/likely NBC operations to be able to provide detection and decon.

HHC had an obviously higher concentration of dedicated support MOS people, 6-10 medics/medic team augmentees/PA/Surgeon/PT, S1 shop of paperwork Rangers who still did EIB, roadmarches, jumps, the whole 9. Intel had a couple guys who were rarely seen but always got us the best info possible. S3 was all staff captains or senior NCO's, S4 had 1-2 dedicated MOS ammunition handler people plus mid level NCO's from each company that provided support for that company flexing as required. The motor pool had 3-6 mechanics and other duty positions, half of which usually ended up pushing forward with us. Sometimes on patrols, but we had less than 5% downtime on our entire motor pool because they worked incessantly to make sure rigs were functional, Rangerproof, and if they did succumb to Mechanical Rangeritis, those mechanics would work late and bust ass to get it up both stateside and overseas. Supply had a couple more NCO's and a Warrant to keep the books straight and do the big supply shit... and the cooks made sure we had our chow squared away as well as contributing directly to combat support operations such as Casevac missions because we would get them all EMT qualified, they'd join in sometimes as an attachment to rifle squads and teams for training rotations to get squared away, etc.

Never mind the fact that as a general rule, even as a softskill, you'd be going to Ranger school to get to be an NCO.

I don't know many support guys outside of Regiment who are bad ass enough to start off Commo, get sniper qualified, get their Ranger tab, become an Infantry team leader and be fantastic at it, go on to be a Sniper and president's 100, then move on to be a fucking D-boy... guess what, my team leader at one point was a perfect example of how bad ass support guys in Regiment are.... SFC Van Aalst. RIP, but he was a stellar infantry team leader and I will admit, for about 30 seconds when I learned he was going to be coming to replace my ETS'ing TL, my internal conversation was "great, now I'll have someone who don't know what they're doing in charge of me on live fires"

Then we went out and he taught me ways to do about 200 of my Ranger tasks and duties more quickly, accurately, efficiently, with repeatable results within the first week of being my TL.

Holey shit was I wrong. He taught me a ton of stuff that I applied across the entire spectrum of conducting operations both in garrison and in the field, throughout my military career.

Badasses abound within Ranger Regiment, and not all of them wear infantry blue. Can that be said for other SOF that have no selection process? I think the fact that there's an argument about it going on here proves my point rather well.

160th has a selection for their guys... never hear about issues with their support guys getting cool-guy-itis... because they ARE cool guys and earned their fucking stripes.

SF needs to figure that out, and unfortunately due to the multitude of SF oriented classification varying operations, big army can get away with "owning" the support MOS postings..... until the SF Regiment makes a push to finally takes full ownership of the full spectrum of duty positions that conduct and support the missions they are tasked with.

One idea I had, albeit never having been and rarely even working with SF in general, is that they could co-task their SFAS course cadre (they're already tasked with conducting selections so it wouldn't be extremely hard to add into the repertoire) with holding SFSS. Throwing them at some parts of SFAS with a reduced requirements scoresheet so there's some suck, some self-select "fuck this" quits, some that don't end up cutting the mustard, and a couple stateside woods operations either supporting actual teams doing trainups or in Robin Sage, doing what they would be doing overseas, with who would normally be doing the job supervising as well as grading on their performance...

This would provide a controlled situation, graded, taste of the suck and the reality of the mission they perform within the larger scope, so the support guys realize that this is serious shit and they need to be able to pull their weight at their job because they are supporting guys that have small to no margins for failure.

No idea if it would be feasible since I ain't SF and never will be, but it sounds like it'd be a completely better process than currently utilized.

SF teams are cautious around SF soldiers they don't have experience with, much less any support guys that have never been through any type of formal selection.

The current needs of the army setup screws everyone over, not just the teams. I've seen situations where things are completely peachy, and I've also seen various combinations of the following: You can have multiple Ranger tabbed, squared away SOT-As team sergeants in an SF battalion who are prized assets by ODBs and ODAs. These guys, every year, can get a new MI Captain assigned over them that has zero SOF experience. You can also have a new SFC with zero SOF experience magically show up and outrank everyone else. There is nowhere to hide the guy for a couple years where he can't do any damage and get him experience.

So, you end up with organizations that find ways to pool all their shitbags in one battalion, or on one team within a battalion. Shitbags who would have never made it past a records check and interview. The other horrible side effect is that some of those "shitbags" would be good guys in a conventional unit, but since noone bothers to screen anyone, they slip through and cause problems for others, as well as themselves.

There are a ton of ways to skin the cat, but I think the single best solution is a centralized SF signals intelligence unit. There were advantages to when all the SOT-As were at the Group level (so far as scheduling training and stuff like that). If it were it's own unit, it could run it's own selection.

bugkill , you have enjoyed a modicum of professionalism until now that I would not have granted you.

You heard Polar Bear. The other Moderators and Admins are supremely aware of your existence. Get vetted.

I will not tolerate your brand of bullshit. Thanks for serving, but I dislike you already.

I would rather I say this now to you in the open, as opposed to in a back room where you can't see it.

If I read the word operator in this thread one more time, I am going to vomit.

What's an operator? It sounds exciting... Sure wish I had tried to be one when I was...well when I was.

Buzzkill: good thing you and I didn't meet when I was on a team. You would have figured out that without us there isn't a need for your logistical wizardry (as if any good 18c can't do your job with his hands in the cookie jar). We don't need you, you are a luxury. SOT-As are a whole different story... Watch how you speak - this is our house, not yours. Unlike getting into SF SUPPORT, you must earn your way...

And like my brother Love said, I am saying this in the open instead of complaining about your ignorance, cockiness (part of the reason FF started this thread) and your generally poor SA.

I resisted saying anything so far but I'm surprised how far this has gone. Shadowspear is one of the most permissive SOF forums on the internet. Actually I think it's safe to say it is the most permissive. Everyone of every walk of life is accepted here to include aspiring SOF candidates, conventional military veterans, family members, military supporters, SOF support and SOF warriors. This is not the case in most SOF forums. I avoid most internet forums because of the arrogance, dick measuring and elitist attitude I have seen elsewhere. I haven't seen that here. Everyone here appreciates all the hard work that SOF support folks have done and continue to do on a daily basis. However, please don't forget that this is and has always been a Special Operations Forum. This isn't Shadowsupportspear. I understand where you are coming from and I understand your frustrations. This may not be the forum to air those grievances because you will not find many sympathetic ears and will only continue to alienate members.

You have 14 days to get vetted or you are banned. Do not PM me

bugkill I also strongly suggest not posting (or PM'ing anyone) until you do so.

Don't think getting vetted will grant you carte blanche to act like a prick either. You're off to a rough start, but that is not a game stopper here.
As has been said previously in this thread, your situational awareness is lacking. Do some looking around this site, have a look at how we conduct ourselves, what we expect. This our community and we expect you to conform or leave. Simple.

What's an operator? It sounds exciting... Sure wish I had tried to be one when I was...well when I was.

Buzzkill: good thing you and I didn't meet when I was on a team. You would have figured out that without us there isn't a need for your logistical wizardry (as if any good 18c can't do your job with his hands in the cookie jar). We don't need you, you are a luxury. SOT-As are a whole different story... Watch how you speak - this is our house, not yours. Unlike getting into SF SUPPORT, you must earn your way...

And like my brother Love said, I am saying this in the open instead of complaining about your ignorance, cockiness (part of the reason FF started this thread) and your generally poor SA.

Bugbait....

To reiterate what my brother Crip put out... When I was on a team, I was also tasked with multiple things... 18D, 18B.... Co NBC NCO, Co Medic, Asst A-2, Asst S-3, Asst S-4, S-1, and Acting XO (yes as an NCO) - many concurrently... and at times holding those positions on a Team and in the Co depending on DTG... it would have been nice to have had some 'trained' help... but we muddled through... SOT-A's were a different story... Do your job, do it well, do what SGM asks of you beyond that, and do it well... but in country as an ODA... you do it all yourselves, so get used to it... If you want to play on an ODA, go to Selection and pass the Q course... then you might bring an additional skill to help make things smoother... but you may find it's already being done efficiently.

I put this in the open too to get it out there.... and show you how many people are looking without responding until you really step on it... like you did. and to let you know how clueless you really are.

ETA - EVERY Soldier, Sailor, Airman, Coastie or Marine needs to do their job to the best of their ability for the big machine to work well... there is a reason that the requirements to even get selected to get looked at for selection, then be invited to attempt the selection for the Qualification schools for SOF units is so different from the 'regular' forces... you are looking at the top .05% of the 1% that are eligible to join the military services.... that's the top .0005% of the population - yeah that's pretty friggin special if you ask me.

Bugkill, look, I'm glad you are proud to be a support guy. I wish more people were like you in that regard; we just banned a former support guy for over-inflating his creds. He wasn't content with what he really was, you don't have that problem.

The problem you do have is either an extreme case of naivety or willful disbelief of basic facts (I'm not sure yet which one it is) combined with a bewildering lack of situational awareness. I will say it again, if you are a support guy in an SF unit, you ARE a second-class citizen, as far as the organization is concerned. No one cares about your assessment, selection, training, promotion or retention. They are quite content to take whatever Big Army sends them, because at the end of the day, you don't matter to them. There is almost zero investment in enabler functions in Group, and those support-type functions that are really useful to the SF mission typically, over time, become an additional duty for someone on the Team.

I'm not saying this to belittle you or anyone else. I think you and most of the people on this site know that I was an enabler and not 18-series. But facts are facts. It doesn't mean we have to like them, or we shouldn't try to get them changed. It should change; SF is going to get left behind by all of the other SOF units who are willing to invest in enabler functions, particularly intel, comms, transportation and logistics. But change is hard, and it needs to start with the people that Group gets in as enablers. I wrote a major article about it in 2004 and a master's thesis on it in 2007. A couple of years back, I sent an executive summary outlining the specifics of a centralized enabler assessment, selection, and training program to both the commander of USASFC and the J2 of SOCOM. And you know what? No.One.Cares. At least not in Special Forces command. Other units have a completely different dynamic and enablers can be and are accepted as peers- but never equals. And that's OK; there is no way to equate what I do behind a desk, important as it is, to the men and women (yes, women) out there doing the actual mission in whatever unit to which I'm assigned at the time. I'm good with that; I'm proud of what I did and think it's important but I hold no illusions. And anyone who is or is thinking about going to support an SF Group should go in with their eyes wide open to it.

So that's probably going to be it for me on this topic, and it's definitely going to be it for you, at least until we establish your bona fides. If you choose to get vetted, please also explain the short period of time you spent at Group. When I was in Group, a normal tour for a support type was three years. There's usually a story there if a guy came out earlier than that and didn't move on to something high speed. Sometimes it's a good story (got picked up for a different SOF unit, came out on the list for drill sergeant, etc.) but most of the time it was a "you suck" story. I'm willing to give the benefit of the doubt if you care to explain it. No need to make it public, just put in the comments when you do your vetting.

OK, it's been at least a week since buzzkill resurrected this thread, and he hasn't been back since. This thread is sliding into irrelevance, if no one has anything else applicable to add, we should probably just let it die out. Thanks.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back