Religion in the SEAL Teams

don't know what the answer is to their recruitment and retention issues
Had several of my former soldiers earn their green beret and at one time, I trained up myself to attend SFAS but never went . I think what intrigued me most about SF was the ole quiet professional mantra. Its kinda like a Corvette. You don't have to see it go fast to know that it does. SEALs always seem to want everyone to know they are the fastest car in the neighborhood. Theyve lost their mistique.

Last edited:
Had several of my former soldiers earn their green beret and at one time, I trained up myself to attend SFAS but never went . I think what intrigued me most about SF was the ole quiet professional mantra. Its kinda like a Corvette. You don't have to see it go fast to know that it does. SEALs always seem to want everyone to know they are the fastest car in the neighborhood. Theyve lost their mistique.

A Navy SEAL, a crossfitter, and a vegan walk into a bar. How do you know? They scream it to the world.

I do not know if I agree or disagree. I need to think about it. But my question, as posed in previous post, is why is that different than other rates and other branches, and why does it work other places except for SEAL?
I see two factors playing into this:

1. The spotlight/Hollywood 'special' effect of SEALs (as compared to other SOF) on recruit expectations. In the 70s and 80s you had Rambo, Commando, A-Team, Delta Force, and a slew of other cinema that highlighted Army SOF. From the 90s on though, with the exception of Black Hawk Down, SEALs have mostly dominated the big budget SOF TV/film landscape, and definitely the gaming circuit. Due to this a larger percentage of SEAL Challenge candidates might be the types who are sold on the 'shiny special' status of the job as compared with, say, your Option 40 or 1T2X1 recruits.

2. The Navy, unlike the Army or Marine Corps, doesn't have the 'safety net' of conventional combat arms positions for unsuccessful SOF candidates to pivot towards after getting dropped. Most off-the-street SOF applicants probably aren't joining with the expectation of settling into something unrelated to SOF or combat arms, which adds to the stakes of failing for non-Army/Marine Corps candidates.

I'd be interested in hearing from @amlove21 or anyone else from the AFSPECWAR community on if there aren't similar issues with candidates despising the Air Force after washing out of selection.

Nope, it may have even been discussed, but America loves to openly swallow the seed of anything NSW
They sure can't seem to get enough of their seamen.

…. anyone else from the AFSPECWAR community on if there aren't similar issues with candidates despising the Air Force after washing out of selection.
I’ll only comment here because I have personal experience: yes.

I washed out of the TACP pipeline in 2013 and for me, the resentment started almost the same day my elimination was official. I likely would have gotten out or tried to re-enter the program if I didn’t have excellent mentors who helped me grow up.

I also had a paramedic instructor who was a PJ washout who (on our first day of class full of AD AF students) bashed the PJs, the Air Force and the DOD in general because he felt personally slighted by the instructors.

Unfortunately it’s a common thing for young men (myself included) to feel like shit and instead of recognizing the shame we feel, to instead blame the organization that made us feel that way. It’s all too common to see the AFSPECWAR washouts come into their new career field with their stenciled tee shirts and all they care about it going back to the pipeline, and not being a good human in the meantime.

I’ll only comment here because I have personal experience: yes.

I washed out of the TACP pipeline in 2013 and for me, the resentment started almost the same day my elimination was official. I likely would have gotten out or tried to re-enter the program if I didn’t have excellent mentors who helped me grow up.

I also had a paramedic instructor who was a PJ washout who (on our first day of class full of AD AF students) bashed the PJs, the Air Force and the DOD in general because he felt personally slighted by the instructors.

Unfortunately it’s a common thing for young men (myself included) to feel like shit and instead of recognizing the shame we feel, to instead blame the organization that made us feel that way. It’s all too common to see the AFSPECWAR washouts come into their new career field with their stenciled tee shirts and all they care about it going back to the pipeline, and not being a good human in the meantime.

The underlying feeling of anger is almost always grief.

As men we often show our grief as anger. Failure can cause grief, as can many other things. Recognizing and accepting that grief will help you deal with the anger.

I see two factors playing into this:

1. The spotlight/Hollywood 'special' effect of SEALs (as compared to other SOF) on recruit expectations. In the 70s and 80s you had Rambo, Commando, A-Team, Delta Force, and a slew of other cinema that highlighted Army SOF. From the 90s on though, with the exception of Black Hawk Down, SEALs have mostly dominated the big budget SOF TV/film landscape, and definitely the gaming circuit. Due to this a larger percentage of SEAL Challenge candidates might be the types who are sold on the 'shiny special' status of the job as compared with, say, your Option 40 or 1T2X1 recruits.

2. The Navy, unlike the Army or Marine Corps, doesn't have the 'safety net' of conventional combat arms positions for unsuccessful SOF candidates to pivot towards after getting dropped. Most off-the-street SOF applicants probably aren't joining with the expectation of settling into something unrelated to SOF or combat arms, which adds to the stakes of failing for non-Army/Marine Corps candidates.

I'd be interested in hearing from @amlove21 or anyone else from the AFSPECWAR community on if there aren't similar issues with candidates despising the Air Force after washing out of selection.

They sure can't seem to get enough of their seamen.

For a while lots of 18X failures were ending up in Battalion. Not a bad back up. Now, I do not think that is possible.

Is it bad if a female BUD/S student had sex with her teammates? Is it allowed?

I heard that a female SEAL candidate got caught performing oral sex on an EOD candidate in BUD/S prep, she was dropped from the pipeline.
Pretty sure that’ll get you the highest peer rating in history.

“Gotta Kiss the homies good night”- Thomas Jefferson

Is it bad if a female BUD/S student had sex with her teammates? Is it allowed?

I heard that a female SEAL candidate got caught performing oral sex on an EOD candidate in BUD/S prep, she was dropped from the pipeline.
If you're not a fucking troll I'll let my XO peg me in battalion close-out formation after the promotions and retirements...

Can I PLEASE have my thread lock superpowers back for just ONE minute???

GIF by Nate Makuch

The underlying feeling of anger is almost always grief.

As men we often show our grief as anger. Failure can cause grief, as can many other things. Recognizing and accepting that grief will help you deal with the anger.

My wife was a social worker, most of her time in hospice but some of the emergency department. She reads human terrain better than anyone in any intelligence agency. She is quick to say that anger is not a primary emotion. You're right that it is a front for grief, fear, any multitude of others.

Guys,

We need to stop feeding this fucking troll. Maybe it will go away, maybe it won't, but when you respond to it you give it what it wants.

Goddamn, if I were on staff I'd have killed this thread as if it had information leading to the arrest and conviction of Hillary Clinton. Kill early, kill often.

Seriously, the more you feed this turd, the larger it gets and the more likely it starts popping up on other sites and with more and more play in various search engines. Yeah, I get that you love your train wrecks, but by perpetuating this fuckery you are just as selfish as this fucked up OP.

If you stop feeding a troll, it will become bored and go elsewhere with its digital AIDS.

Back