Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

I heard his lawyer, retired JAG Richard Stackhouse, is one of the best in the country. He used various legal tactics to keep some information, like the planned sexual assault, away from the jury.
His lawyer sounds like a scumbag. But hey, everyone's entitled to attorney. Striking evidence or not allowing evidence to be admitted is situation normal in civilian criminal courts.

You mean information that may or may not have been obtained legally away from a jury?
I’m not an expert but i believe he argued that the introduction of those charges would be so inflammatory that it would color the jury’s judgement even if the evidence didn’t support his guilt of those actions.

Also I believe the charges were for manslaughter and hazing, not murder. That changes the scope of charges. Not defending the sentence, just trying to add context.

Everyone hates the "scumbag" lawyer...until they need the scumbag lawyer.

A good friend of mine, we went to high school together and then worked EMS together, I went to nursing school, he went to law school. He was one of the ADAs for our county.

He said the same thing. He said if I ever needed a lawyer, find the dirtiest, scumiest, and meanest. He said a lot of people with the big names will make the headlines but they were are also among the first for plea agreements.

Our justice system is a "political" system of sorts so one has to understand that it is dirty, underhanded, politics that it runs on and requires those that operate in it to be comfortable with that. If one isn't, they aren't truly familiar with our system. It's better than most, but it isn't close to being just or good, IMO.

His lawyer sounds like a scumbag. But hey, everyone's entitled to attorney. Striking evidence or not allowing evidence to be admitted is situation normal in civilian criminal courts.
I don't blame him. A defense attorney's job is to defend their client to the best of their ability. Not judge them by their actions or character. Not a job for me but I understand it.

Defense attorneys just make me better at my job. We had one that we hated to go to trial with, he was a pain in the ass and would challenge everything he could...but, if I was in trouble, I would call him in a split second.

Does he practice in FL, because if I need a "divorce"...

Lawyers dropping the ball. Again.

If this shit happens in high profile cases, how screwed are the cases no one hears about?
Navy JAG Corps has neem corrupt/incompetent for a long time. Their TJAG (Obama era) got slapped (lost a star?) for trying to prevent defense attorneys from doing their jobs (Navy SEAL cases). His replacement also nailed for interfering. Was this case tried in San Diego? That seems to be the Navy JAG hub of legal criminality.

Back