Report: DoD Investigating Whether Navy SEALs Strangled Green Beret To Death In Mali

Update to this case.

Newsweek: Navy SEAL Faces 22 Years For Alleged Role In Hazing Death of Green Beret.
Navy SEAL faces 22 years for alleged role in hazing death of Green Beret

Man, I hate people who write headlines...well I don't hate them. I hate how their brains work.

How about: "Navy SEAL faces 22 years for the murder of Green Beret."

That's like when a driver plows through a bunch of cyclists, they write that a car collided with a cyclist, yes although somewhat correct
Do cases like this normally take three years to finish?

Murder trials can take a very long time. This? The amount of twists and turns it takes. Well, there's 13 pages before this, start on page one and read every single post. You'll understand why once you've done that. The wheels of justice and law tend not to move fast. But there won't be justice with this, disgustingly, since there were some turds who got plea deals.

Dedolph deserves every day of that 22 years.
10 years for murder...sounds about right. :mad:

Navy SEAL gets 10 years for his role in Green Beret's death

NORFOLK, Va. -- A U.S. Navy SEAL has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in the hazing death of a U.S. Army Green Beret while the men served together in Africa. The SEAL's attorney said he plans to appeal the punishment.

Tony DeDolph received the sentence Saturday from a jury of fellow servicemembers at a Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia, the Navy said in a statement Monday. He had pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and related counts Jan. 14.

Agreed. Its no justice at all. Its a large appliance warranty time period. I hate that DEAL. Fuck him and anyone who supported him. He's a fucking pussy and so are the two that lied for him. Makes me so mad 😡

Edited: I can't find where it said the Green Beret was sleeping, so I removed that sentence.

Last edited by a moderator:
A few years back, a West Point cadet was given 21 years in Leavenworth after he was convicted of raping a sleeping classmate during field training. The circumstances were murky and the case complex, so much so that it was overturned on appeal.

The reason I bring that up in this thread is because the sentence at the time seemed extremely harsh given the circumstances. Someone remarked "He would have gotten less time if he had killed her."

I guess that was right.

a West Point cadet was given 21 years in Leavenworth
Whoa 21 years is a very long time. It seems way too long. That's wild and doesn't deincentivize killing the person.

Edited to add that last sentence for clarity.

Whoa 21 years is a very long time. It seems way too long. That's wild and doesn't deincentivize killing the person.

Yeah, there was speculation that it was because there was a desire to be seen as "tough on sexual assault." But I wasn't involved in the case and don't know the details. I also don't know the defendant or the victim, it was just a huge mess and I feel bad for everyone involved.

There is a lot that goes into picking juries for trials like rapes and homicides. Sometimes the court hands down severe penalties to send a message for a specific crime -- possibly rapes and sex crimes at that time. Many times the jurors have been affected in some way by the very crime that is being tried. There are rape *crimes* in my state that carry life sentences and homicides that carry 0-40 years. As I said, the justice system isn't about *justice* it's more about chess playing and perceived punishment -- however weak it often seems.

The ABC article doesn’t get into the specific depravities that these motherfuckers committed or were planning to commit.

Some sick fucks. And I don’t care what your goddam combat history is or how much of a hero your lawyer says you were...none of it means squat. Special Operations isn’t solely about combat proficiency...it’s about honor and strength of character. Qualities Dedolph and these other bastards obviously lacked.

Fuck him. He’ll probably be out in 7.

Justice is usually anything but...justice....
There you go being reasonable. Lol. Its true. You're right. Sometimes I forget.

I kinda of ascribe to finding justice in the small parts of pieces and not the sum total of the outcome of any system.

Around 07, it was summed up really well for me-- by an Airborne Ranger Colonel-- who told me participating correctly in any legal process is experiencing a form of justice that is available-- because if society has taken a stand and says xyz behavior is wrong, participating truthfully and correctly is a privilege and duty as an American.

My takeaway, (so it could be wrong), was, what happens what is decided by the system-- because it may be broken, sentences ect) isn't necessarily part of justice.

Its a super idealistic/almost-maybe naive perspective, but I can buy it.

The ABC article doesn’t get into the specific depravities that these motherfuckers committed or were planning to commit.

Some sick fucks. And I don’t care what your goddam combat history is or how much of a hero your lawyer says you were...none of it means squat. Special Operations isn’t solely about combat proficiency...it’s about honor and strength of character. Qualities Dedolph and these other bastards obviously lacked.

Fuck him. He’ll probably be out in 7.

The only thing that keeps me from getting worse indigestion over this is that when he does get out, he is PNG'd from everyone connected to the military, and the Big Chicken Dinner will keep him out of a lot of jobs in which he could exert any influence. Yeah, I'd rather him be shot in front of a firing squad followed by being hanged for life and buried under the prison, but it's helpful that he isn't going to be living la vida loca when (if? Prison justice and all...) he gets out.

The only thing that keeps me from getting worse indigestion over this is that when he does get out, he is PNG'd from everyone connected to the military, and the Big Chicken Dinner will keep him out of a lot of jobs in which he could exert any influence. Yeah, I'd rather him be shot in front of a firing squad followed by being hanged for life and buried under the prison, but it's helpful that he isn't going to be living la vida loca when (if? Prison justice and all...) he gets out.

His Youtube channel is going to be LIT.

Navy SEAL gets 10 years for his role in Green Beret's death

NORFOLK, Va. -- A U.S. Navy SEAL has been sentenced to 10 years in prison for his role in the hazing death of a U.S. Army Green Beret while the men served together in Africa. The SEAL's attorney said he plans to appeal the punishment.

Tony DeDolph received the sentence Saturday from a jury of fellow servicemembers at a Navy base in Norfolk, Virginia, the Navy said in a statement Monday. He had pleaded guilty to involuntary manslaughter and related counts Jan. 14.

I understand the prosecution always dangles the plea deal in front of dudes. Reminds me of the McConaughey flick Lincoln Lawyer where he's always getting his dudes low end sentence plea deals and he gets paid a lot, then he doesn't get one and the drug lord puts a hit on him.

Trial skills are important, if you aren't sharp you're always looking to get the perp to agree to a deal. In fact most criminal cases never go to trial because they settle.

It works both ways between parties, if you know you're going to trial, you want your best trial team on it. If you're just aiming for a plea deal because you know you're effed, you want your best negotiators in the room to get them to agree to a plea deal. This makes me think the Navy and perhaps SOCOM just wanted this whole thing to go away.

I understand the prosecution always dangles the plea deal in front of dudes. Reminds me of the McConaughey flick Lincoln Lawyer where he's always getting his dudes low end sentence plea deals and he gets paid a lot, then he doesn't get one and the drug lord puts a hit on him.

Trial skills are important, if you aren't sharp you're always looking to get the perp to agree to a deal. In fact most criminal cases never go to trial because they settle.

It works both ways between parties, if you know you're going to trial, you want your best trial team on it. If you're just aiming for a plea deal because you know you're effed, you want your best negotiators in the room to get them to agree to a plea deal. This makes me think the Navy and perhaps SOCOM just wanted this whole thing to go away.

I think this is accurate, but no less infuriating.

I'm reminded of the supply SGT who fragged his CO and another officer, admitted it, but then recanted. They botched his prosecution so badly that the guy got acquitted.

7 years would have been better than 0 years.

I heard his lawyer, retired JAG Richard Stackhouse, is one of the best in the country. He used various legal tactics to keep some information, like the planned sexual assault, away from the jury.

Back