Rifle Suggestions..

My first rifle was a 10-22 with a folding stock, courtesy of Rick's Pawn and Gun in Fayetteville. I still have it.

I also bought an SKS, fun gun to shoot.

If you're heading off to basic soon, may want to hold off buying a rifle. Can't take it with you, and (if you're smart) after basic you'll have a lot more $$ to buy a better rifle. :2c:

My first rifle was a 10-22 with a folding stock, courtesy of Rick's Pawn and Gun in Fayetteville. I still have it.

I also bought an SKS, fun gun to shoot.

If you're heading off to basic soon, may want to hold off buying a rifle. Can't take it with you, and (if you're smart) after basic you'll have a lot more $$ to buy a better rifle. :2c:

speaking of which.. how does the military handle private weapons?

I would say wait until you are through w/ your training. Don't want to pick up any bad habits before you leave

It depends. When you're in training, you're probably best off not bringing it with you.

I do not presume to be an expert on the Air Force, but I suspect that if you live in the barracks, you will need to register your weapon on base, and store it in your unit's arms room.

You should probably bring it to boot camp with you.

Actually I am just kidding, dont do that. The AF will not allow to you have it on post, even if you live in base housing. You will either have to leave it with someone off-post or lock it up in the armory. Just a warning, if you lock it up in the armory the security forces dipshits will play with it. My buddy left his USGI M14 in the armory and "somehow" the stock split in half... go figure.

It depends. When you're in training, you're probably best off not bringing it with you.

I do not presume to be an expert on the Air Force, but I suspect that if you live in the barracks, you will need to register your weapon on base, and store it in your unit's arms room.

Spent some time in TRADOC, but it was a DoD (joint) school. No POWs in arms rooms for trainees. But that was one, Army run, installation. And the arms room for all four services belonged to me.

Like everyone else said - best bet is don't do it.

ah thanks.. . what it is.. and I'm sure alot of you know the feeling, but I just like to sit down with a rifle and a scope and take my time and just put shots way down range, just see how far i can do it.. It's hard to explain.. but I didn't plan on leaving till September, so I thought it would be nice just to get out and shoot anytime I wanted. . ya know as a hobby till I get to go in and play with the REAL toys :D but even then I won't get a scoped rifle to play with :(

I would suggest that you wait till your out of basic to pick one up. I agree that if your to start before basic that you dont want to pick up any bad habbits.

However, if you do wish to pick up something just to plink --- any semi-auto .22 would be just fine. You can get more bang for your buck and have all the fun you want without thinking that its training on marksmanship. When you get in and they start basic marksmanship training then you will pick up the important things.

I would suggest that you wait till your out of basic to pick one up. I agree that if your to start before basic that you dont want to pick up any bad habbits.

However, if you do wish to pick up something just to plink --- any semi-auto .22 would be just fine. You can get more bang for your buck and have all the fun you want without thinking that its training on marksmanship. When you get in and they start basic marksmanship training then you will pick up the important things.

Good post, take heed.

The best shot on my basic training was a city kid who'd never touched a firearm in his life, he was taught the correct way from the start and did very well as a result.

Lot of good suggestions. If I was C/Maj I would get with some people local who are knowledgeable and discuss this with them.

One aspect is; so you bought the wrong first rifle. Nothing wrong with owning more than 1 rifle. Unless you paid way to much for it, it will eventually be worth what you paid for it. (maybe a long wait).

There is a fit issue, does the rifle fit your body, same goes with pistols.

Recoil issue, it has been mentioned. Felt recoil can be a big issue. The way a M4 is shoulder and fired does not completely translate over to shooting a bigger bore rifle.

Target shooting, for fun anything works. If you get competitive, then it becomes very specialized.

Hunting, depends on game and area.

Lots of choices. Over the year my taste have changed or been redefined. I like about anything that goes bang. My oldest shooter is a 1818 Springfield.

I think it helps, if you have friends who know about what you have. They can help. You maybe able to try some rifles out before you commit to buying one and the stuff you will mount on it. Glass (scopes) will not make you a better shooter. If you can not shoot with iron sights, you won't be able to shoot better with a scope. (better means consistency).

Reloading is a necessity if you get into completive shooting. If you don't shoot much, it is probably not worth it, unless you want to know more.

BTW, if you do decide on a rifle, Let us know.

This is my totally cool tactical CQC battle rifle shown w/o bayonet:

1818Dolled-1.jpg

I would say wait until you are through w/ your training. Don't want to pick up any bad habits before you leave

Good post, take heed.

The best shot on my basic training was a city kid who'd never touched a firearm in his life, he was taught the correct way from the start and did very well as a result.

I think CH is talking out his ass

Target/ Deer rifle, would be a REM 700 action (heavy tapper barrel) chambered in .308! Also known as bench rest guns, you can get a used one off a competitor around $750 - $1,000 and everything you could ever want to do to it, will have already been done…:2c:

Back