Ronda Rousey- best MMA Fighter Ever?

You make vaild points but the whole argument is predicated on "what if's" which we can do forever. We can keep those relevant to the topic, but in the end this is all speculation. I would say it is laughable to think Couture or Liddell would lose to a woman, the odds are certainly not in her favor, but anything could happen. One day a woman could be in SOF, but how many would fail in the process? More than men if the Marines and Pre-Ranger "experiments" are a decent barometer. Rousey beating a man is less likely than most men at a championship level losing to a woman. The only real way to settle the argument will never happen.
I think I like and agree and disagree with everything you said.

I don't particularly like Ronda. Never have. But I have gradually grown to be in awe/respectful/very attentive to her meteoric rise and proficiency.

In short, to quote Tauheed Epps , I love bad bitches, that's my fucking problem.

A 2 Chainz reference?

19056d1292600189-i-am-thread-killer-threadkiller.jpg

Rousey is an excellent judoka and I bet that her jiu jitsu skills are top notch too. With Metamoris 6 (the big spectacular BJJ show) coming up, I'd like to see her in a match that really showcases her skills. Either put her in against a top ranked female competitor, or an exciting and dynamic male competitor as the secret match. Gabi Garcia could be a fun freakshow fight (as she probably has about 60lbs on Ronda), but it would be entertaining nonetheless.

Gabi Garcia could be a fun freakshow fight (as she probably has about 60lbs on Ronda), but it would be entertaining nonetheless.
I think with BJJ style rules, Gabi would own her. Over the last 10 or so years, international level BJJ has gone to freakish extremes...

I have never understood UFC evening acknowledging WWE, much less allowing their stars to appear there. What the hell is Ronda Rousey doing 'playing' with these guys? Guilty by association comes to mind, does Dana really want his sport associated with scripted wrestling?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2...tosses-triple-h-beats-up-stephanie-mcmahon-at

Dana White is more Vince McMahon than White wants to admit. There's also a certain amount of crossover taking place between the two over the last few years. Both men are astute enough to see this as advertising to the same target demographics.

Great marketing to a key demographic (male 18-34). The fight business is more show bidness than a lot of people want to admit.

I "follow" wrestling and by that I mean the business aspect. I went to a PPV years and years ago and really found the behind-the-scene stuff more interesting than the matches. I honestly haven't watched a match in a 7 or 8 years. I'll watch MMA when I can, but don't follow the fighters or ins and outs of the business. You're dead on about the show business angle of fighting...and it has always been there. People overlook it because it is normal and getting past any mob ties or fixed fights the sport is viwed as real compared to wrestling's fake storylines. The business side though... Promotion and showmanship are the same the world over. They may look different from one market to the next, but drawing people into entertainment is pretty straightforward. Like I said, White is more McMahon than White wants to admit. Selling is selling and business doesn't change.

When Jon Jones is taking down Olympic wrestlers and tearing foreheads open with spinning elbows, I don't think you can say Rousey is the best ever. GSP Circa 2008-2012, Faber 2005-2008Anderson Silva 2007-2010, current Jose Aldo. They all come to mind when thinking of best ever.

I have never understood UFC even acknowledging WWE, much less permitting their stars to appear there. What the hell is Ronda Rousey doing 'playing' with these guys? Guilty by association comes to mind, does Dana really want his sport associated with scripted wrestling?

http://www.mmafighting.com/2015/3/2...tosses-triple-h-beats-up-stephanie-mcmahon-at
The UFC-WWE connection is nothing at all new - in fact it is close to two decades old. Anyone following UFC for a fair amount of time will remember "The World's Most Dangerous Man" debuting on WWF back in the 90's. This is just a story of two companies returning to a proven moneymaking model.

The UFC-WWE connection is nothing at all new - in fact it is close to two decades old. Anyone following UFC for a fair amount of time will remember "The World's Most Dangerous Man" debuting on WWF back in the 90's. This is just a story of two companies returning to a proven moneymaking model.
This is why I just can't follow UFC. If they would just fight and leave all of the drama out of it it would be the best sport ever IMO. But alas... the only way I can stomach it is to check out the highlights.

I really don't feel the UFC has much drama. If anything it can get a little stale compared to boxing promotional tours. It's rare that they have a real solid shit talker (Sonnen is the champ and McGregor his heir apparent). It's refreshing to get guys like that who can liven things up without coming off fake.

When Jon Jones is taking down Olympic wrestlers and tearing foreheads open with spinning elbows, I don't think you can say Rousey is the best ever. GSP Circa 2008-2012, Faber 2005-2008Anderson Silva 2007-2010, current Jose Aldo. They all come to mind when thinking of best ever.
IF there is any sports personality I truly dislike, it's Jon Jones. What a fucking douche.

He's up there with Mayweather for me. But you can't deny eithers skill.
Yeah but thats what we always say about intolerable douchebags, don't we?

He's such a fucking fake man. Pushing his ultra-religious schtick, then doing a little rehab time, then vacillating between talking mad shit and trying to be prim and proper. He's not a thug, he's just (admittedly) a great fighter.

Yeah but thats what we always say about intolerable douchebags, don't we?

He's such a fucking fake man. Pushing his ultra-religious schtick, then doing a little rehab time, then vacillating between talking mad shit and trying to be prim and proper. He's not a thug, he's just (admittedly) a great fighter.
That's part of what makes him so fun to watch. He's such an incredibly talented guy and (almost) always puts on a good fight, and that's enjoyable in its own right. What makes it even MORE enjoyable is wanting to see him finally get destroyed and eat a small slice of humility. Hell, before the Jones/Cormier fight most of us didn't have the faintest idea who Daniel Cormier was, but leading up to the show the excitement become more palpable as we learned more about him. The fact that he represented a significant challenge to Jones (which bore itself out in the EXCELLENT fight) got the hype train going at full speed and made everything so much more enjoyable. It's great to watch a guy like Jones fight. It's even better to watch him get smashed.

Who knows? Maybe he'll even lose one day.

The level of Rondas greatness is misunderstood. Her mom was the first American world judo champ. Her dad killed himself to spare his family the suffering he was going through with some disease, when she was a kid. Rondas is a world medalist, Olympic medalist, national medalist, pan am medalist. She's competed not tens of times or even scores, but hundreds or thousands of times. In a sport where numbers of fights are measured in tens, that's a huge advantage.

Mma is awesome, but it creates Jacks if all trades, Masters of none. Rondas is a master of judo, and while judo is almost solely grappling, it's one of the more complete martial arts, with an answer for nearly every question asked of it, be it in the firm of punches or kicks or anything else.

She committed her life to the mastery of that, and is at the top of that heap. She's one of the elite fighters in the world, and not because of Mma, but despite it. She took the harder road of mastering one thing, and is now reaping the rewards.

As a judoka myself, watching her fights is astonishing. Non-judoka probably don't even realize the level of what they're seeing, thinking 'oh, she threw her down', but it's way more subtle a game that that, just toying with people's balance, changing their game plan, and inserting the armbar when she wants. She creates the situation in which she can win by her chosen means. Pure mastery.

I have done judo with her. Yes, I lost, every time.

Last edited:
The level of Rondas greatness is misunderstood. Her mom was the first American world judo champ. Her dad killed himself to spare his family the suffering he was going through with some disease, when she was a kid. Rondas is a world medalist, Olympic medalist, national medalist, pan am medalist. She's competed not tens of times or even scores, but hundreds or thousands of times. In a sport where numbers of fights are measured in tens, that's a huge advantage.

Mma is awesome, but it creates Jacks if all trades, Masters of none. Rondas is a master of judo, and while judo is almost solely grappling, it's one of the more complete martial arts, with an answer for nearly every question asked of it, be it in the firm of punches or kicks or anything else.

She committed her life to the mastery of that, and is at the top of that heap. She's one of the elite fighters in the world, and not because of Mma, but despite it. She took the harder road of mastering one thing, and is now reaping the rewards.

As a judoka myself, watching her fights is astonishing. Non-judoka probably don't even realize the level of what they're seeing, thinking 'oh, she threw her down', but it's way more subtle a game that that, just toying with people's balance, changing their game plan, and inserting the armbar when she wants. She creates the situation in which she can win by her chosen means. Pure mastery.

I have done judo with her. Yes, I lost, every time.

What was it like training with her?

Back