Russia kills senior militant leader ahead of Sochi Olympics, officials say

I'm sure CAG is waiting on a 911 call on this one....Spetnaz be damned.

Yep, cuz if there's a terrorist incident, CAG is going to HALO in and save the day.

Spetznaz Russia be damned...

EDIT: Dude, what you wrote really reads like some fan-boy shit. Hope I'm just misreading it...

Some of the reputation they (Russian Special Purposes Forces) have for being 'heavy handed' are not so deserved in recent years.

For example, the Dubrovka Theater / Nord-Ost seige by Chechen Islamic militants.
  • 900 hostages - about as bad as it gets in a limited access, dark, inherently sound-deadened theater / closed space
  • 50 heavily armed Chechens- AK's, handguns, grenades
  • High explosives on belts and vests, distributed and disbursed among the civilian hostages, many of them worn by suicide bomber females/widows
  • The name of the group was "29th Suicide Squad"; hardly hides the intent
In the end, 40 out of 50 Chechens were killed. 150 hostages died.

Critics would say this was an example of heavy handed Russian TTP. But on closer inspection, only 2 hostages were killed by Alpha. The other 148 died while in a gas-induced state of unconsciousness after being rescued and evac'd out of the building, where medical support personnel failed to lay the hostages on their sides, so their own tongues would not block their throats. Still a horrible tragedy, and still a horrific death count, but I wouldn't attribute those deaths to "heavy handed" tactics, but rather a consequence of the hostage taking itself.

New info posted on the US State Department website yesterday.
http://travel.state.gov/content/passports/english/alertswarnings/russia-travel-alert.html

The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens planning to attend the 2014 Olympic Games in Russia that they should remain attentive regarding their personal security at all times. The Department of State alerts U.S. citizens planning to attend the 2014 Olympic Games in Russia that they should remain attentive regarding their personal security at all times. The Olympic and Paralympic Games will take place in Sochi, Russia, from February 7 to March 16, 2014. This travel alert replaces the alert issued on January 10, 2014, and provides updated information on reported threats against the Games. It expires on March 24, 2014. Full information about the Olympic and Paralympic games for U.S. citizen visitors is available on the Sochi Fact Sheet and the Country Specific Information for the Russian Federation on our website, travel.state.gov. The Department strongly recommends that all U.S. citizens residing or traveling abroad enroll in the Smart Traveler Enrollment Program (STEP) in order to receive pertinent safety and security information.

ETA when I clicked on the "Sochi Fact Sheet" link just now I got this : "404 Page not found". :rolleyes:

Some of the reputation they (Russian Special Purposes Forces) have for being 'heavy handed' are not so deserved in recent years.

For example, the Dubrovka Theater / Nord-Ost seige by Chechen Islamic militants.
  • 900 hostages - about as bad as it gets in a limited access, dark, inherently sound-deadened theater / closed space
  • 50 heavily armed Chechens- AK's, handguns, grenades
  • High explosives on belts and vests, distributed and disbursed among the civilian hostages, many of them worn by suicide bomber females/widows
  • The name of the group was "29th Suicide Squad"; hardly hides the intent
In the end, 40 out of 50 Chechens were killed. 150 hostages died.

Critics would say this was an example of heavy handed Russian TTP. But on closer inspection, only 2 hostages were killed by Alpha. The other 148 died while in a gas-induced state of unconsciousness after being rescued and evac'd out of the building, where medical support personnel failed to lay the hostages on their sides, so their own tongues would not block their throats. Still a horrible tragedy, and still a horrific death count, but I wouldn't attribute those deaths to "heavy handed" tactics, but rather a consequence of the hostage taking itself.

They were heavy-handed in that they got a lot more people killed than if Western forces were running the show. Then there was the Beslan school crisis...

But if you want to see some really dumb, heavy-handed shit, just check out the story of the Algerians and the oil refinery (In Amenas).

Back