Ryan Lozier, PSC... Killed by I.E.D. Astan

RIP. Thoughts and prayers out to those with whom Ryan Lozier served, and to all of his family and friends back at home...

Here I am a fucking newbie to this site but yet old enough to be Pre-Regiment and my tab just went over the 30 year mark reading Ryan's obituary. I went to high school with Ryan's uncle who was my best friend and his older brother Phil, Ryan's dad. Phil was a great big bro. On the weekends when we were under age, he'd buy the beer for us and then made sure our punk asses made it home safe. Years go by and I'm in Batt and every time I come home on block leave Phil wants me to talk to Ryan about serving the country telling me he wants to be a Ranger. So I give him the usual spiel "look you little punk ass bitch if you want to serve in My Regiment you better fucking want it". It obvious to you that knew him that he did want it and exceled at being the consummate Ranger.
When I got the phone call that he'd been killed, in a fucked up way I had that survivor guilt because I had a influence in the life path he had chosen. It's one thing when we bury a fallen comrade and hand the parents/wife the flag and for the most part drink beer on Memorial Day in their honor. I see Ryan's father a couple times a year and have to console him and try to explain how sometimes you're the bug and sometimes you're the windshield.
Sorry that this is more for my soul relief 4+ years after the fact and don't even know if anyone will read this. But by the grace of God I do feel better.

Mission, Men, Me
If you don't live it, you're wrong.

Back