SEAL Stories

That's a bunch of bad shit. I'm a bit surprised to see that so many of his platoon mates testified against him.

The charges were based on testimony from nine witnesses from within Gallagher’s platoon.

The most batshit crazy line in the story:

The case has sent waves through the secretive world of the SEALs, who prefer to operate behind the headlines in an atmosphere of silent professionalism.

Executed dude with a knife while in medical care, posed with the booger eater, reenlisted next to him, all while popping pills and shooting juice...

Holy fuck.

And threatening people as part of a cover-up.

Sounds like this guy, and probably several others, thought they were operating in the absence of consequences.

And threatening people as part of a cover-up.

Sounds like this guy, and probably several others, thought they were operating in the absence of consequences.
Certainly operating in the absence of good order and discipline. This is what happens when you foster a culture that promotes rule breaking and eschews accountability. That same culture also promotes individualism, glory seeking, and self promotion which leads to other well documented problems.

Last edited:
I just can’t believe the shit NSW gets away with. I’m not even really made, more impressed at this point. It’s a scandal when a can of ammo goes missing, god forbid we don’t find one spoon from a spent banger, and have fun at the 82nd when you blow a .08 on post. We get fucked up for that while these dudes are killing casualties, civilians, fuck get some booze in them and they’ll even kill Americans (pretty sure they’ve been doing that since Takur Ghar...)

I just can’t believe the shit NSW gets away with. I’m not even really made, more impressed at this point. It’s a scandal when a can of ammo goes missing, god forbid we don’t find one spoon from a spent banger, and have fun at the 82nd when you blow a .08 on post. We get fucked up for that while these dudes are killing casualties, civilians, fuck get some booze in them and they’ll even kill Americans (pretty sure they’ve been doing that since Takur Ghar...)
I would argue that you generally don’t have massive disciplinary issues because you hold people accountable for relatively minor infractions. You can’t be shocked when your people commit crimes after you’ve implicitly adopted an outlaw biker gangs code of conduct.

Big Navy needs to disband SEALs, shitcan the name, revamp protocol, give it a new innocuous designation, put real teeth in punishment for NDA violations, keep the personnel with outstanding performance and dump anybody who's got a single skid mark on their SRB...and conduct NSW training and operations with a total media black-out.

It'll never happen, of course.

Last edited:
@Ocoka , what you're drinking, I believe I will have have some, too. Once upon a time maybe, but now it's a cash cow and the twinkle of the public's eye.

@Teufel is right; issue is fundamentally about accountability. Small infractions turn into bigger crimes if you let them get away with it. Human nature, same as children, in the medical field it's called "drift" (partly anyway).

My best friend was a SEAL, although he loved his time many of his sea stories are rooted in bitterness about deserving people getting passed over for awards and promotions and schools because of the good ol' boy thing running rampant, guys getting hammered over small things when leadership's pets get free passes over big things, etc.

Fuck it. Just shitcan the whole Navy land-war bullshit, leave that to the Marines, make them fucking Frogmen again, and let SAD and SFOD-D do the secret squirrel DA stuff.

Last edited:
For such a small organization, there fuck ups are running rampant. I agree with @Ocoka it's high time the Navy puts an end too this shit. If not the Navy, SOCOM should boot them from the command. Every organization has their 10% but this shit has gotten over the top. It seems like every damn year there is a story front page about the latest and greatest dumb shit.

Back in 2004 my Btn Cdr kicked a platoon of team 2 guys off our btn sized FOB. They didn't feel like rules applied to them, they fucked up a lot in our sector and were making the rest of the Americans look bad in that A/O.

Put them back to their original missions of UDT and maritime reconnaissance. Leave the ground stuff to the professionals.

My $.02

and they’ll even kill Americans (pretty sure they’ve been doing that since Takur Ghar...)

God DAMN this is savage. I'm proud to know we raised you from college shitbag to this.

winternet.jpg

My mother's cousin retired from the Marines in the early 70s, a Master Gunnery Sgt., was in China, WW 2, Korea, and Vietnam. He hated the army in a very physical way. The reason why is because the army wanted to disband the Marine Corps and absorb it into the army. I could see similar political and operational ramifications.

The idea of disbanding them is enticing and a fun mental exercise, but it ain't gonna happen. What with not one but two TV shows, holding the public's attention, the books and movies, etc. Yes, they are largely clown shoes, but they need better leadership, more oversight, and accountability, plus limited scope of mission. But they don't pay me the big bucks to figure stuff like this out.

I would argue that you generally don’t have massive disciplinary issues because you hold people accountable for relatively minor infractions. You can’t be shocked when your people commit crimes after you’ve implicitly adopted an outlaw biker gangs code of conduct.

While this last sentence made me laugh out loud, there has to be an equilibrium of policy vs morale/welfare. I really want to believe that the Tridents are victims of some grossly inaccurate perception because genuinely good dudes & bonafide warfighters have more than carried their title with honor. Unfortunately either by way of big Navy stroking the ever living shit out of their ego, the media, or every frog hog in San Diego county the only thing that comes to mind when assessing the typical SEAL attitude is douchebag. I don't know if that's my fault/ignorance or on them.

Interestingly, big Marine Corps treats Reconnaissance and MARSOC Marines like a bunch of red headed step-children.

Back