.SEAL/SWCC Mentor

Arf

SWCC
Verified SOF
SSMP
SOF Mentor
Hello all,
I am a newly active duty SWCC operator so I can give up to date information with the SEAL and SWCC pipelines. I claim that I can give you up to date SEAL information because big chunks of the pipeline are together, and then later our training overlaps. We all live in the same barracks together, see each other’s classes running by one another and much of the training is the same if not very similar.
I would not be were I am today without the guidance of other mentors, and I am looking forward to giving back.

Last edited:
These are my favorite bits of propaganda that NSW has provided over the years:

Special Warfare Combatant-Craft Crewman

SWCC Boat Launch

The movie “Act of Valor” is Navy sponsored and the best propaganda that NSW could ever produce for SEAL and SWCC.

The problem now is producing Navy SOF who don’t want to be movie stars or authors🤔.

Last edited:
I think the new National Defense Strategy. Everything is changing.
Very true. A lot of forces that were borne for the fight of the last 20 years (not SWCC necessarily) are going to have to adapt rapidly to the new defense priorities. "Everything old is new again" is a very cliche' phrase, but it perfectly describes what we're headed into.

This thread is really important for young guys interested in NSW to see, I wish I had seen intel like this a few years back before I shipped with an SO contract. I bought the Act of Valor campaign effort hook line and sinker and ended up being another college degree having/outstanding-high PRT body in the fleet, just like big navy planned haha. I have no regrets about going, but I wish I had made an informed decision on the group I pursued based on mission set and other relevant things instead of getting teary-eyed watching Lone Survivor.

I bought the Act of Valor campaign effort hook line and sinker and ended up being another college degree having/outstanding-high PRT body in the fleet, just like big navy planned haha.

SOF contracts are the biggest recruiting tool the branches of the military have. This way they can get Drop on Requests and Med drops who are quality candidates and put bodies where they are hurting for them.

Last edited:
As much (well deserved) dog-piling as we've done on NSW in general and SEALs specifically I can see why a SME would be reticent to speak up on here. Welcome @Arf ; I have been reading your stuff and you have been putting out good gouge.

When I joined the SEALS were still "no one knows about us and we don't exist". Boat teams? Man, I'd venture to say 90% of the Navy still doesn't know or understand what they do. Me, I think they are cool as hell. I'd MUCH rather be SWCC than SEAL.

BTW, I like what you are adding to the forum. I had the privilege of working with SWCCs on a couple occasions and found them to be studs and true professionals.
This thread is really important for young guys interested in NSW to see, I wish I had seen intel like this a few years back before I shipped with an SO contract. I bought the Act of Valor campaign effort hook line and sinker and ended up being another college degree having/outstanding-high PRT body in the fleet, just like big navy planned haha. I have no regrets about going, but I wish I had made an informed decision on the group I pursued based on mission set and other relevant things instead of getting teary-eyed watching Lone Survivor.
As much (well deserved) dog-piling as we've done on NSW in general and SEALs specifically I can see why a SME would be reticent to speak up on here. Welcome @Arf ; I have been reading your stuff and you have been putting out good gouge.

When I joined the SEALS were still "no one knows about us and we don't exist". Boat teams? Man, I'd venture to say 90% of the Navy still doesn't know or understand what they do. Me, I think they are cool as hell. I'd MUCH rather be SWCC than SEAL.

Thank you everyone! I very much appreciate the feed back.

I don’t think the propaganda is necessarily the wrong move, because I think is important to educate what exactly SWCC or any other SOF unit is in a world where we are largely unheard of so that we can get the quality candidates that we need. The problem is educating without giving up technology and tactics.
NSW is however doing their best to keep the movie star mindset out of the SEAL/SWCC community as much as they can. It’s a hard thing to recover from though.

I joined the military, and SOF specifically because I want to make an impact on people’s lives who need our help. That might be a starry eyed pipe dream that is unrealistic, but I want to be involved with everything that I possibly can.
It’s frustrating to me that I joined up at a time where we are not getting the same amount of work that we used to.
You all are right about times changing though. There isn’t as much need for Direct Action, and most of what we do is Special Reconnaissance, Foreign Internal Defense, and then a bit of Unconventional Warfare.

Back