SF Soldiers KIA in Niger

ISIS is a bit more sophisticated with social media than people realize. Major media outlets no doubt have someone on contract to look for this stuff. The two are a powerful combination.

It really seems like a f-ed up way to do business, affiliating or trading favors with a know terrorist organization. But, on the other hand it could be exploited for our benefit too...I guess

I said the same thing about the date...oh and collective objective...Operation Gothic Serpent

Last edited:
...Anyone want to take a stab at what this sounds like? Eerie.

Like i wrote back in October:

...Mogadishu, Benghazi, now this. Fuck your light footprint, fuck your fear of escalation, fuck local resistance. There's a reason the locals don't want armed aircraft in the AO...because armed aircraft represent a threat to their goddam terrorist operations...

I'll say this much, knowing how often local village chiefs or Sheikhs are in cahoots with the enemy, the only way to truly win their hearts and minds is with a large footprint, capable of meeting their entire needs. The local populace lives amongst their terrorists, meanwhile we retreat back to the safety and comfort of the FOB. Give them security, fresh water, electricity, and more security while living with them, and then you will see fruits of labor. See Maj Gant.

Is this the same Gant who got busted down to captain. had his tab revoked, and was forced out of the Army for, among other things, drug abuse, lying to superiors, and having a live-in journalist mistress? Dude was a warrior no doubt, but I don't think he's the role model we need to look to.

Is this the same Gant who got busted down to captain. had his tab revoked, and was forced out of the Army for, among other things, drug abuse, lying to superiors, and having a live-in journalist mistress? Dude was a warrior no doubt, but I don't think he's the role model we need to look to.
I have some friends that worked with him and still have the utmost respect.

That's great. It's too bad they didn't respect him enough to help him do the right thing when he was downrange.

Different times and through a different lens. We don't need to put the blinders on with regards to what he was able to accomplish because of his downfall through PTSD driven opioid abuse.

Which was what, exactly? And according to whom? It seems more likely that he snowed a lot of people for a long time before it caught up with him.

Live-in mistress, thought you were talking about Petraeus for a second.

I should have expanded further. Yes, he wasn't without major faults, but his successes could be seen. Many failed initiatives, like using cash as a weapon, failed because there is no consistency throughout different commanders and their strategies. Maj. Gant's 22 months allowed him to be a focal point. That in my opinion helped sustain a constancy that is lacking in us winning hearts and minds. I would prefer to not derail this thread further so I will contiue these thoughts in the ISIS thread.

Was a bit surprised to see SOFREP posting the video to their website/YouTube account today. I suppose it's fully out there now anyway.

Was a bit surprised to see SOFREP posting the video to their website/YouTube account today. I suppose it's fully out there now anyway.

They (SOFREP) are getting taken to task in the comments. Zero chance I would watch this; I cannot imagine their rational for posting.

Logos... egos... I've heard people say that there are lots of "oversized' things going on in that company. Last I'll say on the subject of SOFREP in this thread though so as not to divert attention from what happened to our guys in Africa.

I believe Funker350 had it out first.
Their reasoning was the just show videos, and this should be treated as any other video out there.
Don't know if I agree, but I guess they are being consistent.

Back