Sharia Law Coming To Libya

JBS

Leatherneck
Verified Military
So says the leader of the revolutionaries in Libya:

Libya's revolutionary leader calls for civil state

By BEN HUBBARD and HADEEL AL-SHALCHI , 09.12.11, 09:26 PM EDT

TRIPOLI, Libya -- The chief of Libya's revolutionary movement told thousands of cheering Libyans in Tripoli Monday to strive for a civil, democratic state, while loyalists of the hunted dictator Moammar Gadhafi killed at least 15 opposition fighters in an attack on a key oil town in Libya's east.

From hiding, Gadhafi urged his remaining followers to keep up the fight, a sign that Libya's six-month civil is not over even though revolutionary forces now control most of the country and have begun setting up a new government in the capital.

[snip]

"We strive for a state of the law, for a state of prosperity, for a state that will have Islamic sharia law {as} the basis of legislation," he said.

He also thanked NATO, the United States and a number of Arab and European countries for their aid to the rebels during the war. NATO bombed Gadhafi's military under a U.N. mandate to protect civilians, giving rebel forces an edge on Gadhafi's better armed and trained soldiers.

http://www.forbes.com/feeds/ap/2011/09/12/general-ml-libya_8674107.html

It's pretty funny, because I could have sworn these guys were pro- Western, Democracy-driven, secular, Google-loving ordinary secular schmoes.

When were the Rebels ever "secular"?

Also- Sharia law is not some static lawbook. It's not always a-la Taliban. Not saying it's my cup of tea though.

When were the Rebels ever "secular"?

Also- Sharia law is not some static lawbook. It's not always a-la Taliban. Not saying it's my cup of tea though.
You mean you were not aware of the total embrace of this "people's revolution" in Libya and the Middle East by American and European Progressives? Have you not seen the many Progressive rallies clamoring "solidarity" with Libya, Syria, and Egypt?

2m6lmz9.jpg

If you didn't notice all that, then you probably didn't notice the Far Left and Progressives in the American media calling anyone worried about the "Arab Spring" a fear monger:

http://thinkprogress.org/security/2...in-debunks-right-wings-sharia-in-libya-claim/

Summary: John McCain (one of a handful of Right wing Progressives) debunks Conservative Fearmongering concerning Sharia in Libya

The George Soros-funded Center for American Progress has just released a report in which the enemy is "Islamophobia" and "fearmongering". It cites Glenn Beck, Fox News, and a few Jewish websites that spread hate through "fearmongering".

Keep your eyes open for that term. That's the new buzzword for 2012. "Fearmongering".

Not to be left behind by the trendiness of the moment, Foreign Policy magazine decided to pick up the Soros Progressive mantle.
http://walt.foreignpolicy.com/posts/2011/08/26/fear_incorporated

Summary: Stephen Walt (International Relations professor at Harvard) has warned us that the danger is not "a vast Islamic conspiracy". Oh, no. The real danger is a right wing conspiracy, enabled through "fearmongering".

Of course, who better to slam the Conservative Americans than "Think Progress", who recently released a report comparing the threat of Islam to a puppy bite. I am not making this up:
http://thinkprogress.org/security/2...ess-than-from-dog-bites-or-lightning-strikes/

Think Progress: Puppies Worse Than Islamic Radicalism:
xqfk0g.jpg

This whole Middle East and N. African revolution has been embraced by the Far Left and Progressives (including a few Republican Progressives) from the outset.

Also- Sharia law is not some static lawbook. It's not always a-la Taliban.

Would you care to expound on that statement? You kind of make it sound like you think it would be just awesome for somebody.

:confused::)

This whole Middle East and N. African revolution has been embraced by the Far Left and Progressives (including a few Republican Progressives) from the outset.

Would you care to expound on that statement? You kind of make it sound like you think it would be just awesome for somebody.

I think he means that Sharia doesn't automatically equal massive oppression like one saw in Afghanistan under the Taliban. Sharia, to Muslims, is God's law; that's it. It isn't an interpretation in and off itself. So when someone says "Something something Sharia law" its about as descriptive as someone saying "Something something Biblical law".
That being said, I will wholehartedly endorse the fact that most Sharia-dominated countries are fucking hellish places to live (But that's the case with most countries who live under any sort of religious law). And I have little doubt that this means that Libya will probably follow suit.

I also saw more than a few Right-Wingers supporting these revolutions (Usually something about How GWB's Middle East policy brought it about). IMO, it transcends being an ideological point into simply being one where the naive attach themselves to something while everyone else waits to see the outcomes.

My $.02.

All I was getting at is that I didn't think that anyone ever thought these guys were secular. IMO- the Mubarak and Gaddhafi regimes were terrible and I'm glad that the Egyptian and Libyan people did away with them. What comes next is still to be seen and might even be worse. I express solidarity with these people in the sense that I think everyone on this planet should have the right to protest their government without getting shot at...

There are several Muslim-majority countries with some sort of Sharia court system in place. Not all are like Afghanistan under the Taliban where music and TV are banned or whatever. I'm not a friggin Islamic legal scholar, but as I understand it, Sharia law is widely debated and it's up to interpretation. My muslim friend lives under "Sharia", but it's not a legal court system, it's something that goes on in his house. He's got all his hands and feet and I'd consider him no different from any other American guy I know. I don't know if he'd consider it "awesome" but he does his thing and him doing it doesn't prevent me from doing my thing nor does it threaten my way of life.

I don't know much about this stuff, but the two points I wanted to make was that 1) Sharia in one place is not necessarily sharia in another place, and 2) What is the significance of Sharia law being implemented in Libya? Is it not implemented in most Muslim countries? Apologies if the question is dumb.

I am not criticizing the "support" for ME reform. I am critical of those who underestimate the threat of Islamic radicals, or their very real intent to attempt to co-opt what is happening. I'm also critical of the attempt to create new labels, such as "fearmonger", and the like.

The biggest and loudest mouths screaming "fearmonger" would be the first forcibly silenced by those they defend if they ever managed to get into power.

Wait I don't get what you are saying JBS, are you saying the lybians were/are better off with qaddafi? I mean what is your point? You are all about liberty, and these people seem to be fighting for theirs, maybe some are for Sharia, but you know what that's none of our business. Let them have it. I doubt it will last long.

Wait I don't get what you are saying JBS, are you saying the lybians were/are better off with qaddafi? I mean what is your point? You are all about liberty, and these people seem to be fighting for theirs, maybe some are for Sharia, but you know what that's none of our business. Let them have it. I doubt it will last long.

It will be our business.

I am skeptical of spontaneous uprisings for "liberty" that just happened to pop up in all these different countries, all at the same time, after decades of the status quo.

Take inventory:
Libya
Egypt
Tunisia

Also, uprisings in Oman, Morocco, Jordan, Iraq Algeria and Yemen. There were also lesser, copycat uprisings in Sudan, the Western Sahara, Mauritania, Lebanon, and Kuwait.

Sure, if you look at Libya in a vacuum, or on a textbook page, it might sound like a spontaneous uprising. But if you take the regions on a whole- especially formerly stable nations like Egypt, Tunisia, Morocco, Jordan, and even Lebanon- then it seems to me more is at work. I would like to be sure that those organizing influences have friendly intent, and that they are fortified against co-opting.

but you know what that's none of our business.

They why are we bombing Gaddafi? :confused:

Sharia is the law of our enemies. That the USA and the "free world" is helping to bring that to a country by the use of Military force (paid for by our tax money) is disgusting.

They why are we bombing Gaddafi? :confused:

Sharia is the law of our enemies. That the USA and the "free world" is helping to bring that to a country by the use of Military force (paid for by our tax money) is disgusting.

So it was better to allow a known terrorist to continue to oppress his people?

The thing about revolutions- as I read on them in history- is they tend to break away from their planners.

So it was better to allow a known terrorist to continue to oppress his people?

That wasn't my point at all. We jumped on board the first thing we saw as an opportunity to get rid of Gaddafi. We did the same thing during WWII, jumped right into bed with Stalin to rid ourselves of Hitler. We've been paying for the latter decision since WWII ended. I don't want to see that same with this whole Arab uprising thing.

Just to be clear, Gaddafi's a prick who should swing from a pole.

That wasn't my point at all. We jumped on board the first thing we saw as an opportunity to get rid of Gaddafi. We did the same thing during WWII, jumped right into bed with Stalin to rid ourselves of Hitler. We've been paying for the latter decision since WWII ended. I don't want to see that same with this whole Arab uprising thing.

Just to be clear, Gaddafi's a prick who should swing from a pole.

Well sometimes you have to choose the unknown evil to rid a known evil. If it wasn't for Stalin and all those Russians the world might look very different.

Dummies, have you no business sense at all. Now is the time to open a chain of Shadowspear sponsored 7 Elevens over there. We can make money from them and then use it to kill them later when they step on their dicks again.

I have a feeling that this will turn out well, better than the other nations where the Arab Spring burst out. Qadaffi raised the bogeyman of AQ as being behind the initial revolt, since proven false. The rebel leaders have taken a very quick look at their colonial past and urged Europe and the West to stay out or give what support is vital and no more, a point I have outlined here before. Sharia? By all means, establish what you will even if it is foreign to us who have separation of church and state. IMO most of the Arab world wants a better life and they should be given the chance to establish it. AQ and radical Islam has been irrelevant in this whole affair.

Gaddafi did help us hunt jihadists though from what I understand.
http://www.globalpost.com/dispatch/news/regions/africa/110903/libya-cia-gaddafi-regime
The CIA reported worked closely with Muammar Gaddafi's regime in the rendition of terror suspects to Libya, the Associated Press reports.
It states that the CIA was one of numerous foreign intelligence services that used the Libyan regime when it needed to send people abroad for interrogation.
The information is based on documents found by Human Rights Watch workers at the office of Gaddafi's former spy chief in Tripoli.
According to the papers found in Tripoli, the CIA abducted suspected militants and sent them to Libya from 2002 to 2004, BBC reports.

It seems a little similar to the situation in Iran in 1979.. and we all know how that's working out for us right now.

Back