SOF parachute into North Korea

The title of the article makes it sound like the guy was relieved, but in the body of the text it says this:

A U.S. military spokesman in Seoul said Tuesday Tolley's departure was a routine job rotation and had "nothing to do with" the media report.

So which is it? Anyone know when Tolley assumed command?

Tolley is a great American. He agreed to be the fall guy as part of a PSYOP/asymmetric warfare campaign against the north. Ah yes, it's all falling into place. The parachute dummies are being rigged as we speak.

Thanks Deathy. Yeah, it's kind of hard to say with GOs. I'd think it would be two years at least, but sometimes joint positions turn over faster. We had four J2s @ JSOC in less than 4 years, at least two of them are now GOs and it wouldn't surprise me to learn that the others are in the general officer ranks as well.

nobody in JSOC is stupid enough to send men over the border in covert insertions via parachute..
hollywood nonsense.

Korean reunification is nonsense. Find me one person in the South who wants it. But I'll find you millions of Westerners who love the concept. Ignorance at its best.

Re-unification would collapse South Korea within a few months.

What needs to happen is for the North to become democratic, end the war, open to the rest of the world, let foreign influence to become a normal thing, and be a player in the Far East politically. And in thirty - forty years they MIGHT be ready for re-unification.

Korean reunification is nonsense. Find me one person in the South who wants it. But I'll find you millions of Westerners who love the concept. Ignorance at its best.

Re-unification would collapse South Korea within a few months.

What needs to happen is for the North to become democratic, end the war, open to the rest of the world, let foreign influence to become a normal thing, and be a player in the Far East politically. And in thirty - forty years they MIGHT be ready for re-unification.

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-asia-15537467

I spent two years in Korea, reunification was definitely something that many in the Republic still seek. As the article above states though, there is a divide between the older ROKs and the younger ones; the older ones still have people they know in the north, and it's a much more emotional issue to them. The younger ones tend to be more pragmatic; they don't remember the war, they haven't met any of their family in the north, and to them there have "always been" two Koreas.

Also, the ROKs didn't want to stop fighting their war without Korea being united. Their President tried several different things to derail the process, including releasing a whole bunch of EPWs that the Communists wanted repatriated.

It would definitely be painful, but I think the ROKs could handle a peaceful reunification. IMO the ROKs have their act together, and I'm sure there is a plan on the shelf. Their economy is pretty strong, and I think the US, Japan, China and Russia would be willing to help out (because all of those countries are going to have a massive refugee problem if things don't work out with reunification).

ROK already have a Ministry for Unification IIRC and, again IIRC, the idea is to first wait for DPRK to be a responsible nation (for once) in the region, improve their economy a bit and then reunify. It could take 40 years. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, who knows? I do think it'll eventually happen. China won't like it much.

nobody in JSOC is stupid enough to send men over the border in covert insertions via parachute..
hollywood nonsense.
I triple agree with this one. Parachutes are for airfield seizures. Boots are for clandestine infils.

ROK already have a Ministry for Unification IIRC and, again IIRC, the idea is to first wait for DPRK to be a responsible nation (for once) in the region, improve their economy a bit and then reunify. It could take 40 years. Maybe longer, maybe shorter, who knows? I do think it'll eventually happen. China won't like it much.
They might as well have a ministry for meeting people from another planet.

Cookies!
cookieMonster.jpg

Ahh why bother, we all know what Im going to say... ;)
Yes we do.

That's my favorite part... As the western Germans found with reunification; it's not all it cracked up to be.

Back