SOF Prospects: Be aware of what you post

I agree with SOWT and JonnyB that there was nothing egregious in your post. But, and I am not trying to snipe at you here, I can also see where the MARSOC people are coming from. I think there is some validity to what Chopstick said about the central issue being that you posted it on an open message board. Also, some of the things you said were not so bad, but given that the typed word does not convey tone, they could easily come across as more serious than you intended. You stated that you hate deploying, the acronym they use for their support guys is "silly", and you added the "Okay dude" at the end of the sentence describing your reaction to the Master Gunnery Sergeant's advice. Now imagine being that Master Guns, for instance, and reading all that. "Did he just refer to me as "dude"?" "This guy hates deploying and he wants to support a SOF unit?" "Who is he to call out acronyms silly? I think they're silly too, but I've earned the right to think that. WTF has he done?"

Again, I want to make it clear that I am not trying to call you out, or talk shit, or anything else like that. Just offering a devil's advocate view I suppose. ;)

CDG: I agree with you mucho. I dont think its so much the content of the post, but rather the flippant manner in which I said everything. Totally unprofessional and dumb. I mean, someone who talks about getting drunk at the bricks because they had a little setback is probably not the type of guy they're looking for. Although to clarify, I did say that I hated deploying and thats why I went to the wing, but in the same sentence I said that I realized I liked deploying again.

And the MGuns I dealt with this time was different than the one I dealt with when I first applied in 2010. I later found out that he was mentioned in that excellent article about the history of Det-One as being part of Det-One, which instantly elevated my respect for him by infinity points.

A word to the wise, from a member with the courage to post it. Good on ya Deathy for the insight. I agree with dknob.

Be well Deathy.

RF 1

Genuine words of advice to a //admin edit: banned, attention-whoring troll who likes to pretend he is a// kid like me. Thank you.

Thanks for the kind words, folks. I was reminded of this thread recently when I volunteered that I had looked at MARSOC a few times before, and someone had asked me why I hadn't gotten in. It kinda stings to recount the story over and over, but every time I do it makes me feel a little better about the whole situation. My team is headed out the door here pretty soon, and Im quite excited to get into the deployment swing of things again and do good work.
And who knows? Maybe I'll revisit this issue in one form or another when I get back.

Deathy, did you get rejected from MARSOC, did you get A&S order changed, or did you receive any official denial of attending A&S? If not, I would take my happy ass on down there and give the best I could. I am not saying that you may or may not get fucked on this, but I can tell you that I have been told “no” many times, to turn it around to a yes simply by not giving up.

Funny story about posting dumb shit online, I once belonged to one of the best SWAT association in the United States. I posted some bullshit on the association forum about how I didn’t care for the way some of the LEO’s treated MIL guys in different training events (primarily how I felt MIL experience was not respected by the LE community). I ended up losing a lot of (what I thought were) good friends, and was pretty much told to not bother showing up to training events anymore. Man I felt pretty damn low, my whole plan was to serve in the Army until the war was over and then get into LE and work my way onto a SWAT/HRT team. I mean I was getting free training invites and spending lots of time around the guys I wanted to be a part of. But with one stupid post (and I bet there were probably a few more that pissed a few off) I turned a great thing into one of the more regrettable things I have done in my life. The truth was that I was young and stupid, new to the internet and how things worked, thought that “it’s just the internet” and did not even think anything posted could possibly follow me (I was pretty fucking retarded to think that way). But I have done some growing and learning, and even though I screwed myself on a few things and my immediate plans, I have not given up. It may not be for many years, but at some point I will become an LEO and at some point I will earn my spot on a team…

Rejected the first time, rejected from attending A&S by the monitor (He sent me the email chain) the second time, and rejected unofficially the third time. Though, the third time was in absentia and I was never officially told, I havent received any further word since about August or September, so I can rest pretty well assured that its not going anywhere.

Deathy, I hope they give you a re-look, allow you to submit an application and attend selection again based on your obvious progression and increased maturity level. We all make mistakes and occasionally insert our foot in mouth. Regardless, what you do is a priority and honorable. Thank you for your service to our great nation.

Thanks for the kind words, but Im hitting service limitations (long story) and am not allowed to re-enlist. However, I am currently pursuing a shot at the SFQC with 19th group. Myself and at least one other SS member are headed to the A Co, 5/19th SFRE at the end of the month, so Im hoping that all goes well there.

Best of luck I'm sure you will do fine and be an invaluable asset. Regardless of outcome it's the "man in the arena"... Semper Fi!

Three years later this post is still full of wisdom. Thank you, Deathy McDeath, for showcasing yourself as an example of what not to do. I'm sure you've helped more guys than you'll ever know.

One thing to consider, we either have current cadre for various courses* as members or are, at worst, a degree or two away from current cadre. So, post all you want, it's "just the Internet", right?

* - I don't think we have any Coast Guardsmen, so you're in the clear, Coasties. The rest of you? Pays your money and takes your chances...

Good on you for using your misfortune as a tool to help others that will be going through the process.

Just remember how small the communities you're trying to get in to are and that we talk to eachother. Keep everything you post online professional.

If one goal doesnt pan out then chase the next goal, good luck on your deployment and the rest of your career with the Corps

Good on you for using your misfortune as a tool to help others that will be going through the process.

Just remember how small the communities you're trying to get in to are and that we talk to eachother. Keep everything you post online professional.

If one goal doesnt pan out then chase the next goal, good luck on your deployment and the rest of your career with the Corps

The original post was 5 years ago. The OP's since left the Corps and is set to graduate from a "pretty good" university and I'll leave it at that.

Just a thought from a Brat, maybe it was a combination; the complaining, secondary. I think you may have missed something in there though Sir. The self doubt about yourself, middle of the pack, etc. Maybe true, maybe not, does not matter where you are, you stopped moving forward and became complacent is what your words convey. Just an observation is all.

Back