Somalia: The World's Responsibilty

Maybe I should take the kid out on rotation and then he can decide what he thinks of Somalis. I'm sure they'd give him a ride on one of their boats. :D

HOLY FUCK! That would be hilarious!!!!!

"How's that ego now ya little prick!?" :ROFLMAO:

To get back to his original statement about how shitholes like Somalia are the world's responsibility. Progressive Liberals just love the idea of the world being one big, happy place where all the countries help each other out when they need it, there's no crime, poverty, or government corruption, and we all just sit around and talk about our feelings all day. The reality is that being a citizen of a shithole like Somalia is a bad draw. Sorry Charlie, but you're just gonna have to figure it out. Life ain't fair. You form a country and you take your chances. Natural Selection on a national scale. Not to mention the fact that, as mentioned before, generally when someone starts bitching and moaning about how the "world" has a responsibility to Somalia, Kony 2012, Syria, or whatever/whoever else, it is not the world they want help from, it is the US. Being top dog means we just can't win. If we don't help, then it's because we don't care and we're assholes and blah, blah, blah. If we do help, but only with financial aid then we aren't doing enough. What, we can't send some of our citizens over there to clean everything up and put a nice bow on it? If we do send troops over to wreck shop, kill the bad guys, and attempt to give the country a fresh start then we're just after their oil. We really need to stop trying to curry favor with the international community and just worry about our own shit. We have enough problems in this country to keep us busy for a LONG time.

~snip
If we do send troops over to wreck shop, kill the bad guys, and attempt to give the country a fresh start then we're just after their oil.
Don't forget all the "innocent" women and children we kill while we're at it... :rolleyes:

Fuck oil! As an Amoral War Profiteer I've found Orphan Blood to be a valued commodity and if we could put the world on the Orphan Blood Standard (I piss on your gold) then financial freedom would follow.

(And failing that, killing babies is just fun)

:-o

http://www.bbc.co.uk/news/world-africa-18293101

Somalia government money 'goes missing'

Large sums of money received by Somalia's interim UN-backed government have not been accounted for, a World Bank report says.
The report, seen by the BBC, is being circulated at talks in Turkey on how to end Somalia's decades of anarchy.
It alleges a discrepancy of about $130m (£85m) in the accounts over two years.
UK foreign minister William Hague told the BBC that an international board to oversee the distribution of aid funds needed to be established urgently.
Somalia's transitional government mandate expires in August when it is due to hand over to an elected president.

...We really need to stop trying to curry favor with the international community and just worry about our own shit.

I'm going to disagree with this part... but only a little. Sending guys to Uganda to track down Joseph Kony is a great opening move to build better relations with Uganda and Africa in general. That and it's good PR with the rest of the world. I think the relations we have with other countries are pretty important. I don't think anyone wants to work in a denied/hostile environment everywhere outside the US. Acting unilaterally has its place, but I don't think it's always the best way to accomplish things.

Maybe we could just parcel Somalia up between it's neighbors and get them to do all the work. :-)

I'm going to disagree with this part... but only a little. Sending guys to Uganda to track down Joseph Kony is a great opening move to build better relations with Uganda and Africa in general. That and it's good PR with the rest of the world. I think the relations we have with other countries are pretty important. I don't think anyone wants to work in a denied/hostile environment everywhere outside the US. Acting unilaterally has its place, but I don't think it's always the best way to accomplish things.

Maybe we could just parcel Somalia up between it's neighbors and get them to do all the work. :-)

Why do we need to improve relations with Uganda and Africa? I think that between the Red Cross, GATA (Global Anti-Terrorism Assistance) programs, and the multitude of civilian missionaries, we've been doing quite a bit.

Why do we need to improve relations with Uganda and Africa? I think that between the Red Cross, GATA (Global Anti-Terrorism Assistance) programs, and the multitude of civilian missionaries, we've been doing quite a bit.

Because they have stuff we want now, namely natural resources and strategic positioning.

I think the Kony thing is OK, it has limited involvement (with the right kinds of troops) and a definitive endstate. As long as it doesn't balloon into a massive commitment, I think it's a good thing.

I'm not advocating an isolationist policy. Perhaps I should have said it as: We really need to stop fucking our own country up because we're trying to bend over backwards to look good to the international community.

Base of operations to counter the Chinese takeover/raping of the natural resources of Africa.

Because our minimal involvement in places like Afghanistan and Iraq has shown that works? Until we're willing to do what the Chinese do to secure resources (bribe the shit out of the locals in power) they will keep winning the battle for third-world resources.

What we need to do is to commit to covert and clandestine operations. The last four administrations have been too transparent with the aforementioned types of work. There's should be no such thing as transparency in this field. You can't talk about how successful your clandestine and covert ops are- it's just ridiculous.

Anyone who's witnessed a Hellfire fired from high altitude knows- it's pretty hard to tell what just happened. It's relatively small, and flies at super sonic speed. Why are we so willing to tell people what is happening? This is just one facet, there are plenty more examples.

Because our minimal involvement in places like Afghanistan and Iraq has shown that works? Until we're willing to do what the Chinese do to secure resources (bribe the shit out of the locals in power) they will keep winning the battle for third-world resources.
Valid point, we've stopped foreigners buying up tracts of land here.

Back