Somalia: The World's Responsibilty

This whole thread gave me a case of the lol's! What does Somalia have to offer anyone apart from uncontrolled population growth, and the diseases associated with that. Sometimes problems need to be resolved, but we tried already and I don't think that worked out for ANYONE involved. I personally don't give two thoughts to Somalia, and I pray that none of my brothers get sent there.

This whole thread gave me a case of the lol's! What does Somalia have to offer anyone apart from uncontrolled population growth, and the diseases associated with that. Sometimes problems need to be resolved, but we tried already and I don't think that worked out for ANYONE involved. I personally don't give two thoughts to Somalia, and I pray that none of my brothers get sent there.
Wow... That's maybe one of the most selfish things I've ever heard

Sorry, just did a bit of research on the current situation in Somalia and it seems as if the Kenyans and Somalian forces are making progress against the al-Shabaab but that they are still requesting for international assistance.\
So your initial post was based on a position which was not properly undergirded with any research which, when coupled with your disrespectful tone, made you seem to lack any credibility. This of course is what prompted others to say you should get some SA, meaning you have no idea what you are talking about.

And yes I am. I think the world should start helping countries that are in need of help such as the Democratic Republic of the Congo and Somalia instead of countries with resources that these larger countries desire.
Just like your opening post, would you care to state what resources you think Afghanistan has that will compensate for the many billions spent there already? Please say "lithium".

You've already agreed that the United States is ALREADY involved in 100% of UN missions around the world, and you've already agreed that we contribute a great deal. You also agreed (after finally researching the topic) that African troops already on the ground are making great progress, so what is the basis for your otherwise unsupported charge that the U.S. (and the U.N.) are not already directly engaged in making the rest of the world a better place with vast amounts of American taxpayer resources (not to mention technical expertise, training and with equipment)?

Doesn't mean it's wrong.

Some places are beyond help, no matter how much people may try help. IMO, Somalia is one of those places.

As for US involvement in terms of personnel with the UN... I think the US has just realised how fucking gay the UN is and are taking the route of, "If we think something needs to be done somewhere, we'll do it on our own terms" and tbh, they're not wrong.

I may be selfish but I will tell you right now that you may be one of the most ignorant people I have ever interacted with... Let me break it down for you, I unlike you have been to some shithole places in this world, places that your 17 year old brain doesn't even understand exist yet. You think I want my buddies to go to Somalia to help make it so some five year old can grow up to be an adult rapist who fathers 20+ kids? No is the answer there. How about this, why doesn't canada shell out the 100's of millions of dollars, the young lives and the political ass-pain? They don't want the trouble either? Surprise! Nobody wnts to get involved on that mess unless it is to make money shooting pirates in the face. Idealism is for the young and NON-experienced.

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1125-06.htm

"Simply put, the answer is that one of the primary subtexts for the Bush Administration's war in Afghanistan has been to guarantee control over the oil flow and reserves in Central Asia."
So your quotation comes from a Progressive website? I love it.

Just to be clear, do you have any other justification for your views, or solely a Central Asia worldview based upon this 2001 article from Fran Shor? Because if this bit of journalism is what you base your views on, I think you're going to have a hard time here.

Look at this nugget, obviously gleaned from actual US Special Operations tactics:

...a US Special Forces operation aimed at interdicting and destroying Iranian oil shipments to Afghan cities. According to the report, the trucks carrying the oil were destroyed by the camouflaged and goggled-eyed soldiers. Shouting "terrorists" at the frightened Iranian truck-drivers, the Special Forces handcuffed the drivers and led them away from where the trucks were then blown to bits.
Special Forces tactics - I think it is safe to say- do not include US forces running around pointing at trucks and yelling "terrorists!@"

http://www.commondreams.org/views01/1125-06.htm

"Simply put, the answer is that one of the primary subtexts for the Bush Administration's war in Afghanistan has been to guarantee control over the oil flow and reserves in Central Asia."
When you first started disrespecting US involvement in Afghanistan I thought you were just naive, but now I know you're just full of shit. That whole quote is so fucking retarded that Gary Busey just quit his life. And you didn't even provide any commentary to boot.

Why don't you explain that oil bullshit to the families of 9/11 and any Gold-star mother who has lost a child in this conflict. If you even had the courage to say that to her face I would hope that she show no mercy.

When you grow up and actually do some of the shit and deploy to some of the places people here have, then your opinions will matter. At that point, you also will be able to look back and see how ignorant and ridiculous you sound right now. Do us and yourself a favor and just shut the fuck up for awhile. Or better yet, since you're so worried about Somalia, why don't you pick yourself up an M-4 and hop on a flight over there? Then you can come back here and report on how much good it did.

Here we go...

This entire thread is hilarious!

Do you have any idea what it is like on the ground when you're "helping" these countries??? No. You have no concept of what it is like and therefor have no understanding of why many here have those "selfish" views. Picture your best friend in your mind, now imagine picking up the pieces of him to put into a bag. Now I want you to think of what you would say to his pregnant wife. Explain how the lives of some people another world away, were worth it. If it is in a legitimate defense against your own country then yes, by all means it can be worth it. But for Somalia? The US has been there and done that...So don't say that the US hasn't been involved with that country before. Do some research and you'll see that we have.

What makes Somalia any different from the other jacked up countries around the world? What about the thousands that are killed in Myanmar? What about the rest of Africa? What about the civil war in Libya? The oppression in China? North Korea? Thailand? Philippines? Literately the majority of the world is in shambles. So why Somalia? Why bury the U.S. even further into the hole we're in, for a bunch of people that are beyond help?

If you feel so bad about the things occurring in Somalia, save your pennies, jump on a plane and go see what you can do. You're under the impression that the rest of the world thinks like we do. You don't seem to understand the concept that people there are different. The culture in countries such as these is primal at best. In order to change that, we would have to dedicate resources to develop an entire generation of people. That's the only way. So yeah, fuck that. They'll either figure it out on their own or die in the process. It's nature, let it take its' course.

There's also the element of a population rising up and fighting for their own country.

The UN? They are SERIOUS about stopping human rights issues so they will totally get on this Somalia problem.

http://www.dailymail.co.uk/news/art...gabe-UNs-envoy-tourism.html?ito=feeds-newsxml

DURING his three decades in power, Robert Mugabe has dragged once-wealthy Zimbabwe into the gutter.
His forced seizure of white-owned farms precipitated the collapse of the economy, leading to devastating poverty.
He has the blood of tens of thousands of his people on his hands and is banned from travelling to most parts of the world because of his regime’s human rights abuses.
Strange then that the United Nations has honoured the tyrant as a tourism ‘ambassador’.

The UN: A Global Force for....Meh.

Neg reps 22...record?:rolleyes:
You need to get straight with your facts before you go into a debate here.

OK, I think we're done here. I was willing to give Kyle the benefit of the doubt at first, but I think it's clear from the comments in this thread

and from his profile posts
Kylepl Me against the Americans=CLASSIC

that he's trolling. Thread closed, further action potentially pending.

The clown who started this thread has been banned. I'm re-opening it because there are some very good points being made, and I think we can have an effective discussion about intervention now that only the grownups are left.

Thread re-opened.

I have been reminded of why I hate cadets and their play rank. Good riddance.

Back