Some Ranger Pix

^I was told the whole Space Shuttle Door Gunner bit was started by a 1/75 guy in PLDC. I'd really like to know who can claim fame for this. Over the years it spread like wildfire.

I've seen them mounted on M4s...certainly not helmets.
We where using it back in 89

65mhsp.jpg

2d Battalion Rangers board a CH-47 Helicopter after conducting small arms training in Afghanistan on August 14, 2012. (Department of Defense Photo by U.S. Army Spc. Michael Mulderick)

2i11bhd.jpg

(Pictured: A Ranger from 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment, posts the United States flag after completing a successful combat operation in Afghanistan)

On this date, Sept. 11, 2001-- Eleven years ago today, 19 terrorists from the Islamist militant group al-Qaeda hijacked four passenger jets. The hijackers intentionally piloted two of those planes, American Airlines Flight 11 and United Airlines Flight 175, into the North and South towers of the World Trade Center complex in New York City; both towers collapsed within two hours. The hijackers also intentionally crashed American Airlines Flight 77 into the Pentagon in Arlington, Virginia, and intended to pilot the fourth hijacked jet, United Airlines Flight 93, into the United States Capitol Building in Washington, D.C.; however, the plane crashed into a field near Shanksville, Pennsylvania after its passengers attempted to take control of the jet from the hijackers. Nearly 3,000 people died in the attacks, including the 246 civilians and 19 hijackers aboard the four planes.

After September 11, 2001, the 75th Ranger Regiment was called upon as one of the first-responders in the War on Terrorism. On October 19, 2001, 200 Rangers from A Company, 3rd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment spearheaded ground forces by conducting an airborne assault to seize several Taliban targets in and around Kandahar, Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. Nearly 11 years after that raid on Objective Rhino, the Rangers of the 75th Ranger Regiment have been continuously deployed, fighting terrorism in Afghanistan and Iraq, for almost 4,000 consecutive days.

“Time is passing. Yet, for the United States of America, there will be no forgetting September the 11th. We will remember every rescuer who died in honor. We will remember every family that lives in grief. We will remember the fire and ash, the last phone calls, the funerals of the children." ~ President George W. Bush

Rangers Lead The Way!

(...) After the terrorist attacks of Sept. 11, 2001, 3rd Ranger Battalion was deployed to Afghanistan in support of Operation Enduring Freedom. On the night of Oct. 19, 2001 portions of Companies A and C conducted a daring low-level parachute assault onto Objective Rhino, a desert airfield in south-western Afghanistan, in order to capture key logistical information. During follow-on missions, forces from Company B, 3rd Battalion accomplished a successful night parachute assault into Bastogne Drop Zone to secure a desert landing strip in support of a special operations raid.

Rangers Lead The Way!

http://www.goarmy.com/ranger/heritage/third-ranger-battalion.html

I have NEVER had that much room in a 47 before.

EVER.

I have. When we were loading it. :D

Every now and then if you caught a Ring Route on the way back to Bagram or Kandahar it would be more or less empty, but that was years ago too.

My experience was that in Iraq you could expect to be packed in like sardines, and in afghanistan you had seats and leg room due to the fact they could only put so many folks on one bird, due to the altitude.

I flew from our VSP to KAF a few times and was usually the only person on the bird- that was nice.

I remember in Iraq we had Navy air for awhile. We would fly 10-15 Americans sitting in the seats and 30-40 Iraqis sitting in on the floor. We always had to offset a pretty good distance- it would've been a big problem if we had to get out in a hurry.

2mm5quo.jpg
Rangers from C Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment return to their Forward Operating Base after completing a Quick Reaction Force mission. The QRF supported Rangers from D Company, 2nd Battalion, 75th Ranger Regiment who were conducting a night combat operation against insurgents in Khost Province, Afghanistan, July 2012. (U.S. Army photo by Spc. Michael G. Herrero)

"Never shall I fail my comrades."

In a sense that's one of the better photos in this thread. Steely-eyed killers watching the OBJ,climbing terrain, boarding helicopters, even unit photos....those are cool and all, but I don't think they do justice to the sense of brotherhood and family that you'll find in many units.

The great thing too is you don't know the guys (well, most viewers won't) and you don't know what one is saying to the other or why.

That's a powerful photo when you think about it.

Back