Special Operations Preparation Clubs ROTC

foxhound77

Unverified
I was wondering if anyone can provide any information about selection prep programs that either NROTC or AFROTC units run in California or Maryland. Thanks!

I didn't even know that was a thing, so I can't help personally. But I hope you get the answers you're looking for.

I was an Army ROTC instructor and never heard of anything like this. You had to branch and commission first. It's been a minute, so maybe something changed. You can however attend hooah schools and participate on the school's Ranger team while in ROTC.

I was wondering if anyone can provide any information about selection prep programs that either NROTC or AFROTC units run in California or Maryland. Thanks!

Right out of high school in '91, I wasted a year in NROTC. IIRC those clubs were program-sanctioned informal groups. Maybe they had a faculty mentor, it's been a minute. Anywho, the clubs weren't consistent from one school to the next. I think we had something like 80-100 folks across all 4 years and I can only recall 2 who wanted SEAL/ EOD.

The number of officers in NAVSPECWAR is tiny compared to your big 3 unrestricted line groups of SWO, aviation, and subs. When you think about the number of NROTC programs, the Academy, and even OCS as feeders into NAVSPECWAR, the odds of a ROTC program with a dedicated club has to be quite low. Maybe one is out there, but you only have 77 NROTC programs with 5 in Cali and 2 in MD.

Out of curiosity, I checked 3 programs' official websites. None mentioned any clubs in any form or fashion. You're probably stuck with calling the individual NROTC programs or getting your Google on and going to each program's website.

Association of NROTC Colleges and Universities

I know locally the NROTC units run an informal SOF prep thing. It's a lot of PT and rucking; you know, stuff no one wants to do (except SOF candidates and Marine option).

Good point. I thought about it after my post and was going to suggest doing PT with the Marines. Plus, the OP would learn the right way to care for his feet, pack a ruck, etc.

Some ROTC programs will get to participate with Robin Sage.

Not sure about Duke NROTC but I am pretty sure UNC-CH army ROTC will send participants. NCSU has as well.

Some of the counties and towns that host Sage are only 30 minutes from any of these schools. I don't know how often they do it.

I am interested in clubs and developers in florida. I am ocated near Sarasota for the next 2 months. Have been admitted to UCF and will be moving to the Lake Nona/ Oviedo region. I am looking for groups to train with for buddy drills and an extra set of eyes. I have submitted my ROTC application.

I am interested in clubs and developers in florida. I am ocated near Sarasota for the next 2 months. Have been admitted to UCF and will be moving to the Lake Nona/ Oviedo region. I am looking for groups to train with for buddy drills and an extra set of eyes. I have submitted my ROTC application.

Lake Nona and Oviedo aren't near each other, just an FYI. They are like 20-something miles from each other down 417. I don't know if you're considering one area over the other or are familiar with the area.

I live up in Lake Mary and work at NSA Orlando right outside of UCF if you have any general questions about the area. Just shoot me a PM.
---

UCF is a criminally underrated school for those of you with kids going into college. Their STEM programs in particular are quite good.

@AWP

I appreciate the information and will keep you in mind. It is as you said " one or the other."

I was recently accepted for Aerospace Engineering.

In FL, you can look up South Florida Tactical Athletes. It's been a few years since I've connected with him, so you'll need to do your own legwork, but Col Stocker runs the program. and was a SF medic and PJ.

Back