Starting BJJ

So, about a week ago I got my blue belt. That officially means I am fodder for my brown and black belts to go full speed on; and I am ok with that.

But I also signed up for my first tourney. March 3. My goal is to win 1 match. Since I just got promoted, I’ll be the least experienced heavyweight in the class (under 208).

So, that’s what it is! I’ll keep you all (the 3 or 4 of you) posted.

If you haven't competed yet, kick some ass. If you have, I hope you did well and I look forward to hearing about it.

I try to compete a few times a year and feel it's important to understand and feel the difference.

my dog likes to fight from her back BJJ style. She caught another dog that was being really rough in an oma plata and threw him... it was hilarious, I wish I had been recording.

If you haven't competed yet, kick some ass. If you have, I hope you did well and I look forward to hearing about it.

I try to compete a few times a year and feel it's important to understand and feel the difference.
Man, thanks for holding me to task on that one!

So, the tournament was today. I took first in my weight class (ultra heavy blue belt). Before anyone gets real excited... Here's the story.

For those that don't know, there aren't a ton of big dudes floating around the BJJ world. I am not huge by any means, but I walk around about 205. Initially, I was a heavyweight in my newly-minted blue belt division.

There weren't any other blue belt heavyweights. Or super heavy (up to 225). There was, though, one ultra heavy (226 and up, no weight limit). Dude's name is Cam, and he rolls at my home gym. He's truly an inspirational dude, started off close to 300 and over a year at the gym has lost 50 lbs and has basically changed his life thanks to BJJ. So the Gracie Barra team tried to come up with a way to get myself and Cam some other people to roll against.

There just wasn't a good answer. There weren't any heavy/super/ultra purple belts, and the white belt division was a couple guys that have been rolling for a couple months that Cam and I both outweighed.

The solution was that Cam and I would roll against each other in a best 2 of 3 match set. I let him play his game too much in the first match, but won 12-0 on points. The second match I felt great about my roll, and hit him with an armbar about a minute in.

It was a great experience, and we have 2 more local GB events this year I want to hit, along with a couple no-gi events.

I like the place I train at, the BJJ culture, the positive environment, the learning of the ground game, the elements of judo and wrestling. I have gotten praise from the Master and the other black belts on how I am doing well and catching on quick with most of the material , some things such as hip escape will take time and that's ok.

I dislike being judo thrown. I am sore more often but I also have alot of mileage on my body.

2nd and 3rd order effects are I seem to be leaner very quickly from sweating bucket.
. I feel stronger in my mind and body. Knowing how to choke is an awesome power of sorts. I " feel" strong.

Overall I am happy to have continued my martial arts journey here.

Last edited:
Anyone here in the DMV area got a good BJJ gym recommendation? I started many years ago when I was a weakling. Now that I feel solid, am willing to try again.

Update

I have been on the BJJ path for a year.

I really enjoy it....alot. I show up and hour before class just to enjoy the energy of the school.
I have gone to some open mats
I go 3x to 5x depending on how my body feels.

tap early, tap often. Ego gets you hurt.

I got caught in an armbar by a white belt (I was a white belt too), fought it off for over 5 minutes, along the way my other hand ended up trapped under his leg. When I hit muscle failure I couldn't tap and he popped my elbow. If I had tapped when I knew he had it, I wouldn't have had 6 months of pain.

When it comes to joints, especially legs, just tap. If it’s a choke then let him/her go ahead and struggle.

Disclaimer: I claim zero responsibility if you do not wake up.

Last edited:
So it’s been a LONG time since I rolled. I’m back in Albuquerque for a bit, got the invite to a sneaky mat session- let me tell you, I am NOT in fighting shape.

You forget how certain things are just irreplaceable in your training- try as you’d like, the only way to not be gassed at jits is to do a lot of jits.

Went to my first class last night with some work colleagues. Really enjoyed it, great environment and everyone was very friendly and helpful.

I think the predominant thought was "how the hell..." followed by either "did that just happen" or "am I in a choke hold?!"

Really enjoyed it and I'll go back. I quite like the technical aspect of it.

My knees look like I've been working at the business end of a bukkake video.

Went to my first class last night with some work colleagues. Really enjoyed it, great environment and everyone was very friendly and helpful.

I think the predominant thought was "how the hell..." followed by either "did that just happen" or "am I in a choke hold?!"

Really enjoyed it and I'll go back. I quite like the technical aspect of it.

My knees look like I've been working at the business end of a bukkake video.
Hell yea!!!!!!! Welcome man!

So it’s been a LONG time since I rolled. I’m back in Albuquerque for a bit, got the invite to a sneaky mat session- let me tell you, I am NOT in fighting shape.

You forget how certain things are just irreplaceable in your training- try as you’d like, the only way to not be gassed at jits is to do a lot of jits.
The problem with starting out after long breaks is wanting to throw up 47 seconds into the first 5 minute session. #Imgoodboysseeyounextweek

Back