substitute for Lariam?

There is another drug that is as effective as Larium without the side effects, I forget what it is called, I heard about it in 2000, at that time it wasn't being issued as it was too expensive.

:2c:

I'd rather not take anti malarials if I can help it.

I'd rather not take anti malarials if I can help it.

Me either to be honest. After my jaunt with LAriam I won't take it again. Doxy or nothing. Bad attitude, sure? But Lariam toxicity (and I believe I had it) is nothing to sneeze at either. Ever wake up and decide to shoot yourself? Me either until I took Lariam.

I won't take it again.

Well I need to come up with something instead so thank you all for the advice :)
The only drug I have heard of being without more or less side-effects is Malarone but have been adviced not to take that for longer periods. What we got is P. falciparum and have it all year around in the entire country though its not that bad along the costs.

One bloody night without those freak out nightmares etc would be very nice.

Me either to be honest. After my jaunt with LAriam I won't take it again. Doxy or nothing. Bad attitude, sure? But Lariam toxicity (and I believe I had it) is nothing to sneeze at either. Ever wake up and decide to shoot yourself? Me either until I took Lariam.

I won't take it again.

Would it be any idea looking at Doxycycline for Chloroqine resistant areas?

I don't know. I know that for A-stan I was offered Doxycycline after the Lariam made me bat shit crazy. I'm not sure about other areas. Where is Doctor Doom when we need him? :)

I won't take it again.

I had mates in Africa who wouldn't take anti-malarials until they got malaria, they were just very careful about preventing mozzies biting them, of course you must look at the areas you are in, cerebral malaria isn't fun from what I hear ;)

As per post #9
From the CDC

Drugs to Prevent Malaria (antimalarial drugs) If you will be visiting a malaria risk area in Afghanistan, you will need to take one of the following antimalarial drugs: atovaquone/proguanil, doxycycline, or mefloquine (primaquine in special circumstances and only after G6PD testing).
Note: Chloroquine is NOT an effective antimalarial drug in Afghanistan and should not be taken to prevent malaria in this region.
Malaria risk area in Afghanistan: Risk April-December in all areas at altitudes below 2,000m (<6,561ft)

I'm not a fan of Lariam and its use by our government. Flight crews are not allowed to take Lariam, but the "average" folks are? Something doesn't jive there.
My recollection is that based on research and some heavy hitting legal advice a group of the pilots rebelled against taking it and the DoD backed down. Any one else remember this?

when I was in Astan, most of us forgot to take ours...as well as the pink ones afterwards
I know of people who contracted Malaria in A-Stan and the symptoms showed up months later...As I understand it, it wasn't pretty...

I heard alcohol works, im researching it as we speak
Drinking Gin and Tonics, eh Pardus? :D

Hey, were you recently seen in a Santa Suit running amok somewhere? :D

For all those in Malaria country, stay safe out there, will ya?

I don't know. I know that for A-stan I was offered Doxycycline after the Lariam made me bat shit crazy. I'm not sure about other areas. Where is Doctor Doom when we need him? :)

Doxy pretty much goes for people who have bad reactions to Lariam. The official party line is that the psychiatric effects of Lariam have not been proven... doxy works for all regions.

Malaria is the number one single cause killer worldwide. Take your meds.

Sea cucumber 'new malaria weapon'...
... An international team genetically engineered mosquitoes - which carry the malaria parasite...

I got the chills reading the above statement... But then again, I just watched 12 Monkeys last night too! :uhh:

LL

Had an old soldier tell me, "Drink a thimble full of kerosene everyday, that will keep the mozzies away." :bleh:

Back