tacp guidance

Jnorton017

Unverified
Hey everyone..
First off I understand that majority of tacp isn't special operations, but I couldn't find a thread for tacp. I was looking for the tacp mentor group that I saw a few people have mentioned but couldn't find it so any help with that would be appreciated. So to the point.. I'm a recent college grad criminal justice major looking to transition into becoming a tacp. I have done a bunch of research and understand the mission set and type of shape you need to be in. I played football all in college so i am relativity in shape just started switching to incorporating more endurance and body weight work outs and farther running distances. So my options were to try and go ANG TACP and in the off time try and get into a police academy, or just do active duty and then guard/LE after. Wanted to get some perspective from any past tacp's who have done either. I've spoken to tacp's or have read mixed reviews of some saying you should do AD or they think reserves would be a better set up in their opinion. Also if i do ANG i have 2 options in terms of bases to choose from middletown/indian gap pa or the south jersey egg harbor township base wanted to see if anyone had experience with either one, both are equal distance for me. Basically so far guys told me indian gap covers stryker, and some light infantry units and egg habor covers mainly infantry only. If someone wants to spill some knowledge of what supporting both of those types of units is like. Sorry for the novel.

I can't speak for the Guard TACP units, but those guys get the same training, if not more than AD units do. They have more localized control over training and funding, as far as I know. I think it all depends on what you would like your ops tempo to be, and you certainly get paid differently in AD vs ANG. Also, if geographical location is a concern, you have more control joining the Guard. I realize this doesn't help much, perhaps a guard TACP can jump in here to fill in the gaps. As for physical training, don't do only bodyweight stuff, because the fitness is more well-rounded right now. Think CrossFit style, very functional. You'll need to mix endurance with strength training. I also wouldn't worry about trying to get accustomed to rucking, you'll get acclimated to that at the schoolhouse. Get good at running, pushups, situps, pullups, and have some good strength as a base (deadlift, squats, etc.).

@Castus , I urge you to get vetted.

This post is old (the one you’re respondig to) and I’m not saying the information you’re putting out there is wrong; what I’m saying is that there’s no reason to value what you’re saying.

I’m pretty plugged in to TACP and A&S and career progression, I don’t agree with everything you said. The only difference is that I have a reason to be believed, ya know?

@Castus

Public apology time. Your request was in, I missed it, and you did everything youwnre supposed to.

Everyone else- Castus did what he was supposed to and I missed it. I won’t delete or edit my post, because I dont do that; but I was wrong.

Good advice given and I fucked up. I’ll knock out a set.

Except for the necropsy that shit stands. It was 8 months ago lol

No worries, and my bad for not seeing the date on it. I just noticed that the request for guidance was unanswered, so I wanted to be helpful more than anything. Or at least get more eyes on it. I'll be more aware. Still getting my bearings in here.

No worries, and my bad for not seeing the date on it. I just noticed that the request for guidance was unanswered, so I wanted to be helpful more than anything. Or at least get more eyes on it. I'll be more aware. Still getting my bearings in here.
I appreciate it, based on the research I did AD will be the best option for me. Awaiting medical waivers right now and getting my recruiter all the necessary info they need for that. With talking to other tacp's I was given similar information in regards to not placing as much importance on rucking being that I would lose most progression when going through basic. Integrating a little more pool work now with the changes in the tacp pipeline (SW Prep), but I placed such a heavy focus on body weight exercises because my fitness history has been lifting for high school and then college football for the past years so I needed to thin out my 6'2 225 frame and get my much needed PT test numbers up and not power lifting numbers. Made my way down to around 205-210 now and PT numbers starting to get higher and higher above minimum standards. Found a nice army sf prep sandbag workout that I'm gonna start doing that will be a little more with that crossfit integration. Any other info you can send me way would be helpful.

Secondly, I have done most of my research around the the tacp job and what type of preparation I need to do/goals of where I need to be at that I never really asked the everyday questions so to speak such as; What area's I could potentially be stationed at, how much of a choice I actually have in choosing where I would go, how often breaks/trips home occur for the tacp career field. Just curious about some of these things as I get asked by family and I don't really have a solid answer for them and would like to offer some sort of insight.

Secondly, I have done most of my research around the the tacp job and what type of preparation I need to do/goals of where I need to be at that I never really asked the everyday questions so to speak such as; What area's I could potentially be stationed at, how much of a choice I actually have in choosing where I would go, how often breaks/trips home occur for the tacp career field. Just curious about some of these things as I get asked by family and I don't really have a solid answer for them and would like to offer some sort of insight.
If anyone has an answer to this question. I would greatly appreciate it as well.

If anyone has an answer to this question. I would greatly appreciate it as well.
I normally lurk through these pages, however I will crawl out of my hole to (somewhat) answer your questions.

Where can TACP members be stationed?
I googled that very question. The first result that appeared was a link to this website with a thread titled "TACP Locations". It is very enlightening.

Do you get a choice in where you go?
Read the "TACP Locations" thread.

Breaks or trips home (Leave)?
No idea.

Back