Tampons in Bullet Holes (Again)

I remember a bandage like 20 years ago that looked like a tampon, but was called a "bullet plug"? It wasn't issued to me, I think a contractor buddy showed it to me while we were working on a few Iraqis that got spaghettid by a vbied.

I am not sure what brand or if the name is right. But it was the same concept as a tampon, but I believe it was clotting agent impregnated gauze.

I remember a bandage like 20 years ago that looked like a tampon, but was called a "bullet plug"? It wasn't issued to me, I think a contractor buddy showed it to me while we were working on a few Iraqis that got spaghettid by a vbied.

I am not sure what brand or if the name is right. But it was the same concept as a tampon, but I believe it was clotting agent impregnated gauze.

I think you're talking about XStat. I recall them but they really never took off. It is CoTCCC-approved but I never saw them used or fielded.

I think you're talking about XStat. I recall them but they really never took off. It is CoTCCC-approved but I never saw them used or fielded.

There was a device that had a syringe type applicator with hemostatic gauze pieces that we looked at in like 2005-2008ish. I remember having hands on it a few times.

Very loosely like a tampon, but not really. It was also a trash product. The problem is that it does not apply pressure, and if you have hemostasis with direct pressure you have to let it go to apply the xstat. Then the pieces go all over the fucking place.

I've seen the xsat, never used it. The one I am talking about was in a gray/green package and was actually shaped like a large bullet almost the size of shotgun shell. I only seen it that one time, and homie was the one who showed it to me. I never used it, just watched him use it. I have never seen it again. Tried some online googlefu with no luck. It might have been some UK kit, not that it matters much. The few bleeds that I worked on were mainly TQ's followed with packing with gauze and pressure bandaging. Dealt with a nasty stomach wound once, that was a shit show until the medic got involved. Not really a bad bleed, but more a trying to keep the guts from coming out anymore then they had. Got yelled at for using an MRE bag, as I was taught to do...but whatever, I'm not a medic...

I've seen the xsat, never used it. The one I am talking about was in a gray/green package and was actually shaped like a large bullet almost the size of shotgun shell. I only seen it that one time, and homie was the one who showed it to me. I never used it, just watched him use it. I have never seen it again. Tried some online googlefu with no luck. It might have been some UK kit, not that it matters much. The few bleeds that I worked on were mainly TQ's followed with packing with gauze and pressure bandaging. Dealt with a nasty stomach wound once, that was a shit show until the medic got involved. Not really a bad bleed, but more a trying to keep the guts from coming out anymore then they had. Got yelled at for using an MRE bag, as I was taught to do...but whatever, I'm not a medic...

I'm not gonna lie. If I were your Army medic, I wouldn't have given a fuck if it were an MRE bag vs some fancy bandage. In the grand scheme of things, if your sausages were out instead of in, you got bigger issues than proper bandaging/dressings. Our chest seals were petroleum gauze foil packaging.

Then again, as a 90s era Army medic at Bragg, we still had the Nam Era M5 bags, Nam Era dressings, TQs were bad and IVs were the way Joe the grunt judged if you were a good doc. Lol

I'm not gonna lie. If I were your Army medic, I wouldn't have given a fuck if it were an MRE bag vs some fancy bandage. In the grand scheme of things, if your sausages were out instead of in, you got bigger issues than proper bandaging/dressings. Our chest seals were petroleum gauze foil packaging.

Then again, as a 90s era Army medic at Bragg, we still had the Nam Era M5 bags, Nam Era dressings, TQs were bad and IVs were the way Joe the grunt judged if you were a good doc. Lol

Those canvas M5 bags were dope. I'd love to find one.

Back