Tesla...in space

• Thread starter Thread starter DC
  • Start date Start date

DC

Navy Diver
SOF Support
Ole Elon put a Tesla Roadster complete w/Astro dummy in space

Live feed

Live feed on YouTube. Musk did it right.

Attachments

• A10E0ABD-294F-413B-8C92-3168D02148E8.jpeg
    A10E0ABD-294F-413B-8C92-3168D02148E8.jpeg
    789.8 KB · Views: 10
This was the big rocket. The Falcon Heavy. The amazing thing is watching them land the spent boosters on the sea platforms. There's absolutely no aerodynamics, its all telemetry, like trying to land a hurtling piece of steel pipe on its end on a rocking platform.

The Vesla/astro-dummy as a payload? Fucking brilliant.

This whole thing must have NASA seething. The Tesla is a big "fuck you". In my opinion anyway.

More envious than angry, I think. NASA is just an empty shell of it's former self, thanks to the eviseration of the space program under Obama. Lots and lots of people got laid off here in Florida...not only from NASA but from business partnerships too.

BTW, "Mrs Weasley" and I can watch the launches from our back porch. They are distant, for sure, and if it's cloudy forget it. Not nearly as impressive as the shuttle launches, but like a little candle going up. The shuttles' had a much wider, hence brighter, engine burn.

In '83 I covered the STS-7 launch from the Cape, when Sally Ride went up the first time. There's nothing like being there and feeling it.

Last edited:
There is absolutely nothing about this entire launch that is not cool. It just goes to show what we can still accomplish....

This was the big rocket. The Falcon Heavy. The amazing thing is watching them land the spent boosters on the sea platforms. There's absolutely no aerodynamics, its all telemetry, like trying to land a hurtling piece of steel pipe on its end on a rocking platform.

The Vesla/astro-dummy as a payload? Fucking brilliant.
The two side boosters landed on land (awesome to see) and the core frapped into the ocean when most of the landing engines didn't fire. It missed the drone ship (shrapnel damaged it) since it didn't slow down.

The two side boosters landed on land (awesome to see) and the core frapped into the ocean when most of the landing engines didn't fire. It missed the drone ship (shrapnel damaged it) since it didn't slow down.

Thats true. The core hit the water at 300+mph so it wasn't perfect...but Musk is always pretty upfront about mishaps. And God knows he can afford a loss here and there.

Back