The British Monarchy

He's had plenty of opportunity to take a bigger role in the Crown's day to day work but has instead focused on his personal charities. Some of which are really good and do awesome work. If he kept the Crown with Camilla at his side, it would be the beginning of the end for the Monarchy. Camilla is hated and there's already a big movement among the Commonwealth the dismantle the Monarchy already; she would just add fuel.

I could just see it now, queue Charles ready to take the throne and planning with his allies, he tries to come out of his suite and all the doors are locked. Flips on the television and William is being crowned. Made for TV movie, or Syriana without the random American missile.

While this could happen, the reality is that he should step aside right up front. Once The Queen's successor takes the throne, for starters, all the currency will have to be reprinted/restruck with Charles as King. Stepping down after a short time would be very awkward, and might even threaten the very being of the Monarchy itself. What ever happens after the Queen leaves power has already been talked about within The Palace. That it is being kept quiet is what The Monarchy always has done.

We're still running coins with a 40 year old Queen on the back. I'm not entirely sure there will be a rush to fully convert the whole float to Chuck or Billy.

The money is the least of anyone's concerns. That'll be legal tender for decades after her death. Reprinting and recasting that amount of cash would make the Pound drop heaaaaaappps.

On a slightly related note, I remember when the Russians changed from one rouble to another and...only gave 3 days to do it 0_o. Chaos everywhere, people missing out on changing their life savings since it had to be in cash (IIRC) and not just sitting in a bank account. Post Soviet madness.

Charlie's been waiting his whole life to be King. Why should he give up a lifetime of preparation and anticipation to give it up? It's good to be the King.

Once Charles gets the job, apparently he wants to be a George, to wit, King George VII (?) as the King Charles's have had a chequered history. (Mind you George III was a worry).
Isn't it his turn to be an Edward though?

Charles is next to run The House of Saxe-Coburg and Gotha.

Sing it with me now:

New boy in the neighborhood
Lives downstairs and it's understood.
He's there just to take good care of me,
Like he's one of the family.

Charles in Charge
Of our days and our nights
Charles in Charge
Of our wrongs and our rights

And I sing, I want,
I want Charles in Charge of me.

Charles in Charge