The China Thread (Threat)

I was under the impression that continued almost as normal but with us removed from certain distributions. I'm not being coy on purpose it's what I've read over the years and obviously whatever those programs were will never be publicly released.
This is something that I should know, but I'm embarrassed to say that I don't.

Vancouver is slowly being taken over by the Chinese. Before the pandemic it was roughly a third of all real estate holders were Chinese. But it's not as cut and dry. Lots of Chinese money being funneled away from the CCP.

Following a Trail of Tainted Money From China Into Vancouver Real Estate - OCCRP
We booted them out here, big time. Their bags of cash aimed at left leaning politicians had them with their dicks caught in the wringer. Those that weren’t punted were told to fuck off, so they sold up & left. Don’t misunderstand, I count Chinese locals here as friends, So stand by in your AO for some fun.

P
Are you sure about that? The way I remember it was that ANZUS was the political side, while the FVEY designation was a security classification caveat that NZ was temporarily removed from, and then later allowed back into, after NZ refused to allow possibly-nuclear-armed US ships to dock. but I could be conflating things.

And yes, we have HUGE problems with protecting classified info in an appropriate manner, from the Presidential level on down. :(
ANZUS is largely military. I believe it has only been enacted once, on 9/11. Our prime minister of the day John Howard was in a hotel with a view of the Pentagon.

If you were half as clever as you think you are you are, you'd know both major parties have had major issues. But you knew that right? You're so well informed on NZ politics I know you knew that.
The problem is you think you're clever.

Plenty informed that to this day you have idiotic rolling mask mandates and Cindy comes up with dumb shit.

But, as late as April 2021 NZ was ranting about the rest of FVEY's stance on China because Jacinda or maybe her entire party wants some Belt Road money.

New Zealand Criticized for 'Five Eyes' Alliance Stance on China

Here is criticism towards New Zealand for their shitty stance in 2018. Probably around the time I think the subject came up on the board.

China's communist party has so much power in New Zealand that western countries might stop sharing intelligence

That was ANZUS and not Five Eyes and also lol the US leaks more information daily just...because? Than we ever could. Maybe the US should get kicked out because of Snowden and the rest compromising operations.

Just to be explict for the members with lesser reading comprehension I'm being facetious but let's not throw stones in these glass houses.

As mentioned above. It wasn't ANZUS. It was Five Eyes. Hence the dislike

NZ was suspended from ANZUS from 1986-2012 over your weird nuclear weapons policy. In 2007 you started fulfilling other parts if the treaty and suspension lifted in 2012.

Last edited:
What have masks got to do with this?

Do you think it would be appropriate if I used diminutives or nicknames for your Presidents?

I suggest you read the articles you quote. Ranting? Hardly. Once again you're only looking at very narrow slivers of information to confirm your own thoughts without any kind of critical thinking. Here, I'll make it easy for you.

New Zealand's foreign minister, Nanaia Mahuta, believes the Five Eyes alliance is not the best forum to voice those concerns.

“Can I say we do value the Five Eyes relationship. We receive a significant benefit from being a part of that relationship and they are close allies and friends in terms of common values and principles. But whether or not that framework needs to be invoked every time on every issue, especially in the human rights space, is something that we have expressed further views about,” said Mahuta,

That means that the government thinks there are better ways to do it- and they have. You'd know that, of course, so I suspect I'm preaching to the panel here. Whether it's an appropriate forum or not is worthy of discussion.

As mentioned above. It wasn't ANZUS. It was Five Eyes. Hence the dislike
NZ was suspended from ANZUS from 1986-2012 over your weird nuclear weapons policy. In 2007 you started fulfilling other parts if the treaty and suspension lifted in 2012.

Did you miss the exchange above? You've just said it wasn't ANZUS then said it was. Which is it?

I concede our politicos have struggled with the Chinese influence, as I said earlier, just in case you have some half cocked assumption there again too.

What have masks got to do with this?

Do you think it would be appropriate if I used diminutives or nicknames for your Presidents?

I suggest you read the articles you quote. Ranting? Hardly. Once again you're only looking at very narrow slivers of information to confirm your own thoughts without any kind of critical thinking. Here, I'll make it easy for you.

That means that the government thinks there are better ways to do it- and they have. You'd know that, of course, so I suspect I'm preaching to the panel here. Whether it's an appropriate forum or not is worthy of discussion.

Did you miss the exchange above? You've just said it wasn't ANZUS then said it was. Which is it?

I concede our politicos have struggled with the Chinese influence, as I said earlier, just in case you have some half cocked assumption there again too.

We weren't discussing suspension of NZ's membership in ANZUS a few years ago, it was Five Eyes and you tried to say it was ANZUS. The point was to tell you that you were incorrect. 😛

Yeah, there's a better way to do it. It's called cold turkey. But the US won't even do that.

That's their words not the UN just FYI.

The report published on Wednesday in the wake of the visit by UN High Commissioner of Human Rights, Michelle Bachelet in May, said that “allegations of patterns of torture, or ill-treatment, including forced medical treatment and adverse conditions of detention, are credible, as are allegations of individual incidents of sexual and gender-based violence.”

China responsible for ‘serious human rights violations’ in Xinjiang province: UN human rights report

Edit: The report itself. https://www.ohchr.org/sites/default...tries/2022-08-31/22-08-31-final-assesment.pdf

Meanwhile, in the Solomon Islands, not long ago their PM signed a five year security deal with the PRC, so the SW Pacific has become a wee bit more interesting. So now the Sollies (as we call it here) have declared that all foreign vessels are now banned, or more politely, prohibited from entering its ports as new procedures have to be approved.
Surprise! Huawei have rolled in with the go ahead to erect 5G towers. There are other unsubtle indications; foreign journalists banned if they criticize China, postponed elections. It’s textbook stuff really.

It's a bit more involved than that though. China doesn't have any issue paying off heads of state- sorry, providing incentive- that the rest of us won't do. We and Aus invest a lot in education and aid for the region but we can't compete with sheer dollars.

I think there will be a small coup in the Sollies in the future- the people don't appear happy about all this and the region isn't shy about letting people know when they're unhappy.

It's not all doom and gloom though, PNG wants to negotiate a security treaty with Aus.

Back