The CIA Is Hiring A $100,000 Librarian

Hell no it's not. IC typically brings folks in at the 7/9 level. Maybe it is for contractors. :p

@100K, you're talking GG-12/10 or a mid-13: unheard of for new hires even with a MA.
Librarians make bank dude. Particularly in a prestigious library.

Hell no it's not. IC typically brings folks in at the 7/9 level. Maybe it is for contractors. :p

@100K, you're talking GG-12/10 or a mid-13: unheard of for new hires even with a MA.

Granted I've only been in the IC for around 7 years, I've never seen anyone lower than 11. With military preference you are brought in at very least an 11.

As for contractors. Full performance contractors for most jobs is comparable to 13s, but the compensation in the beltway is being pushed down by DIA to be more like 9s.

An e7 here in tampa has way more take home pay than the vast majority of contractors.

I have a friend who is a librarian for the agency, it's critical work. She has a masters in the field with about 5 years of experience working in the civilian world. As a librarian her area of expertise in managing, sorting, cataloguing, associating, and retrieving data across a wide spectrum of media. I can't imagine what use somebody like that would be to the CIA...

I have a friend that works at CENTCOM as a librarian with a master's. Similar to what @Il Duce said. They are really valuable to their organizations

Librarians are key everywhere. If you go to college and don't use the librarians as a resource you are wrong.

A person with an extensive knowledge of cross-referencing would be vital, I would think, to an agency like the CIA.

Mrs Ocoka One was a 12 or 13 I think, deployed for a year with DHS and made 80k, with overtime...as a media coordinator with the Joint Information Office. So the Librarian salary sounds quite reasonable to me.

Last edited:
My first degree was poli sci. A classmate got a job, out of college with a BS, with the CIA. He would read open-source material for specific information and forward that material to librarians for appropriate disposition. This was late 80s, his example was: read these newspapers about anything regarding Soviet armor, send the articles to XXXX for filing. His particular client was a librarian.

Separately, I knew a librarian that worked in a library for School of Music at a university. She had a MLS degree, did quite well for herself. That was a public state university.

Back