Things Every Joe Should Know

Not talking down to you, DS, but we tell a lot of the newbies about being "the gray man...." So......I like the way you think ;):)

Did you mention being good to the locals enough? Well said, old Soldier! ;)

Speaking of the gray man, DS & car...my Dad told me, "If the DI's are still having trouble remembering your name after 3 weeks, you're doing ok."

:D

It's true

Please tell me you're joking, because that is beyond nasty. :p

Yes there are phantom shitters...it is disgusting...pray you don't get a smearer (pronounced "schmeer ra") in your unit...phantom x10

oh, one more thing, there are also lady smearers.

If in combat and you are going to send rounds down range make them effective. I can't tell you how many times I watched rounds go down range shooting at 65 foot tall enemy. Then to hear anybody got ammunition.
Clean your weapon often and then clean it one more time.
Please and Thank You went a long way with me when somebody needed a favor.

The 'Black Hats' at BAC solved that problem by using the numbers chalked or pasted on the students helmets. (1951 in my case.)

I sort of remember one poor student that spit in the sawdust in the PLF pits, they sure remembered his number! :rolleyes:

I am impressed you remember your student number

If in combat and you are going to send rounds down range make them effective. I can't tell you how many times I watched rounds go down range shooting at 65 foot tall enemy. Then to hear anybody got ammunition.
Clean your weapon often and then clean it one more time.
Please and Thank You went a long way with me when somebody needed a favor.

x1000 (You can't shoot straight if you're digging a hole to Detroit at the same time.)

And to add to my previous list:

--Be nice to the locals (but never with unconditional trust)
--familiarize yourself with any and all captured weapons, to the point where you could pick one up off the ground and use it.
--When working with foreign troops--this for non-SF people--be wary of any mood swing among them, a surliness, resentment, an uncooperativeness, any subtle changes in demeanor or body language that could indicate an impending "bad blood" scenario. I'm not talking about a valid tactical debate.
--Your Purple Heart (in the words of my 1st Sgt) is nothing more than an enemy marksmanship badge.

That's all I got. ;)

Don't shit in the shower. Don't be that guy.

Please tell me you're joking, because that is beyond nasty. :p

... oh, one more thing, there are also lady smearers.

Ex, whatever your imagination can come up with, the truth is infinitely worse. And that is experience from not only the military, but working as a college janitor and housecleaner to put myself through my first college degree.

There are low life pond scum wastes of humanity I'll refer to as "Slots", I'll not deign to call them females/women/ladies/gentlewomen. They take full advantage of the additional bodily fluids nature has given them (AND the items associated with said bodily fluid) to utilize in their "artistic" endeavors.

Slots can be the nastiest, meanest, grossest, most vicious things the face of this earth have ever known. In actions and verbiage. :p

LL

Speaking of the gray man, DS & car...my Dad told me, "If the DI's are still having trouble remembering your name after 3 weeks, you're doing ok."

:D

The exception to that rule is having red hair.

The DI's never learn your name but they sure remember who the hell you are regardless of your performance.:doh::D

*There is no blinker fluid, red light oil, keys to the humvee, or 100' of flightline in the S4 bunker
*Do not fuck with shit that you do not know how to operate without someone there who does know
*Hydrate and conserve water
*DO NOT field strip MREs...I will find you and place the remainder of that MRE in your boots while you are in the rack
*DTA-everyone is trying to kill you or use you for intel
*Fresh socks make that 36th hour on patrol more bearable
*Be professional at all times - you never know who is listening

Yes there are, you find them next to the riser grease, propwash, lefthanded monkeywrenches and gridsquares in the SSSC catalogue.:doh: But, they can only be ordered by privates or 2LTs for some reason.

You left out canopy lights and the keys to both the drop zone and Area J.

Yes there are, you find them next to the riser grease, propwash, lefthanded monkeywrenches and gridsquares in the SSSC catalogue.:doh: But, they can only be ordered by privates or 2LTs for some reason.

Frequency grease
ID-10T
BA-1100Ns
PRC E-7

}:-)

When I was in airborne hold I was told to find a box of grid squares, and I did. Well I found a box of graphing paper. The NCO did not find it funny that some smart ass private bested him, so I spent the next hour cutting the graphing paper into lil tiny pieces.

When I was in airborne hold I was told to find a box of grid squares, and I did. Well I found a box of graphing paper. The NCO did not find it funny that some smart ass private bested him, so I spent the next hour cutting the graphing paper into lil tiny pieces.

it was better than painting rocks or picking up cigarrette butts, wasn't it?:D

I would suggest, for anybody who's planning on staying in awhile, and even if you're only doing a 3 or 4 year tour and getting out, to know the regs.

It's like ignorance of the law not being an excuse. And if nothing else, you can protect yourself in the clinches. Because let's face it, the "regs" get thrown in our face all the time, and sometimes the people quoting them either don't know what they're talking about, or misinterpret them.

Back