Things Every Joe Should Know

I would suggest, for anybody who's planning on staying in awhile, and even if you're only doing a 3 or 4 year tour and getting out, to know the regs.

It's like ignorance of the law not being an excuse. And if nothing else, you can protect yourself in the clinches. Because let's face it, the "regs" get thrown in our face all the time, and sometimes the people quoting them either don't know what they're talking about, or misinterpret them.

...and you never know when the head of your Directorate demonstrates either a lack of knowledge or lack of respect for the regs in an effort to screw you.

That's always choice!

There's nothing like walking into the IGs office with a rock solid case and having the IGs confirm it. Unfortunately, there's also nothing like having to decide whether you're going to rock the whole effin boat over "little ol' me".

How about having the attitude that everyone you meet has something to teach you!

If you see someone struggling then get in there and help them because sooner or later your going to be the one struggling and the person you helped previously may be the one to help you!

Pick one thing and do it better than anyone else and you will be a success!

Speak with your actions and if you say your going to do something make damn sure you follow through!

Do things for others without expecting anything in return!

Make it a point to learn something NEW (useful) to further your position/role/job each and every day!

Respect the rank even if you don't respect the person! (which is damn hard to do at times!)

Learn to navigate, you want to be able to look at a map and visualize the terrain on the ground in you mind, with that know how call in ECAS, Arty or Morts. Being a POUGE trade is no excuse to not be able to either.

Treat everyone respectfully, remember the guy you take the piss out of for being a fuck up and treat like a leper in the barracks is going to be patrolling behind you with a live round up the spout one day.

Watch your arcs, even when its boring/your tired/that bug looks really interesting.

Don't ground lay, someone will stand in it and there is no way to clean all of the shit out of a Panama sole in the field, it will make your whole LUP stink.

Don't carry pictures or mail of/from your wife/kids/gf/bf. Its a distraction, on patrol they don't exist and if you get captured some camel fucker will be rubbing one out in the john to them.

Learn everything you can about radios, practice changing batteries in the dark. Know how to fault find and carry a spare handset.

Learn to site a Claymore properly, it is a weapon that need to be aimed and pointing it in the general direction is not good enough.

If you spend $3000 on a gucci go faster pack and warm kit don't get upset when it gets kicked out the door of a helo by a loadie when someone lights you up with a radar and they need to lighten the load or gets lost in transit. Only spend money on what you need and know how to repair your stuff the system wont replace.

Keep your thumb away from the mag release unless you are planning on changing the mag, especially when you are on mile 18.

Take pride in your uniform, whatever it may be.

Always know you are better, faster and smarter than your enemy but always know he/she is way better, faster, smarter than you think he/she is.

Dead witnesses can't depose.

Remind your crew to hydrate prior to hitting the field and you won't hear "got any water" as often.

Don't second guess the packing list by removing items that may not think necessary, you can always chuck them on exfil if need be.

Don't treat or look at women in uniform any different than you would treat their male counterparts, it only makes you look like a complete asswipe.

Talk to your weapon.

When you are laying on ambush, don't be staring in amazement at the amount of mosquitoes on your buddies head because you have the same thing going on, keep your eyes on the objective.

Dead girls don't say no.

just because you trust your "safety" doesn't mean everyone else does. don't mess with the trigger until you're ready to squeeze it.

any time you put down your weapon, gear, etc... check it. make sure it's yours. make sure no one fucked with it. there are idiots out there who "accidentally" switch your stuff or screw with your gear/weapons for fun. Don't take such things for granted.

always check your batteries BEFORE a mission. when you're about to engage the BG at 0137 is not the time to realize your optic is about to wink out on you or your illuminator won't work.

always pack more socks then you think you'll need.

treat your weapon like you treat your dog - because, like your dog, if you don't, there will come a day when it will bite you in the ass.

never underestimate the value of a teddy bear.

if you're tight on space, bring the beanie, leave the jacket - the beanie will help keep you just as warm, and you'll probably be in kit anyway.

water and gatorade are not interchangeable.

remember the 3 M's... mess, motors, medical. they make all the difference in the world.

For the FNG medic:

being a medic does not make you a prima donna. don't be afraid to get dirty, learn headspace and timing, recite battle drills, write down freq's, and if all else fails, know where the extra barrels and ammo are.

good medicine is, at times, bad tactics - there's a reason that quote still floats around today.

if you think you have enough kerlix, you are probably wrong.

check your guys' gear - when you get ambushed is not the time to find out they all still have CAT's with the plastic wrapper on, or that they keep jerky in their IFAK instead of Med supplies.

On a convoy it is ok to piss in a bottle or shit in a bag , but please take it with you ...lol

Having the biggest baddest knife is useless unless you learn how to use it.

Take a martial arts corse, you may not always have a weapon

when in doubt, empty the clip

if it bleeds, you can kill it

last advise id give a new troop is to realize your doing a job that puts lifes on the line yours and your teams...do every thing in your power to be the best and most prepared to do what ever it may take to bring you all home..

Id have to agree, my point was that im not gonna carry any weapon that im not proficient in the use of...thats all. I mean lets be honest, if you re to the point where a knife is your only weapon your in a world of shit i can only imagine, however if you ever did find yourself in that world of shit wouldn't you want to know how to use that knife proficiently even if only to use it to gain a rifle..i just see some many guys carrying these rambo knifes and they have no clue how to fight with it...it just seems foolish to me thats all

good point JAB ...mabey i just enjoy the knife so much that i prefer it to others weapons

Or you can do this
306537.jpg

I mean there is primary weapons and secondary weapons and so on but if and when you ever get down to a knife im just saying would it be nice to be trained in how to use it...thats all

If it ever comes to the point where I have no weapon I would throw everything and run before I ever went to a knife. I actually find the idea of training with them to be pretty fucking stupid. A knife is to open MRE's cut 550 cord and clean animals. That is just about it. I know all you gear queers are scoffing at what I am saying but it is true. And a $20 Gerber knife opens MRE's and cuts 550 cord just the same as some $300 one. You should print that last one out and give it to privates. ANd on top of all of that why learn to knife fight if you have a bayonet that makes your piddly lil 12 inch blade into a 4 ft spear. Much much more effective in my mind.

Ill just say that i politely disagree. The bayonet is to long for close quarters fighting and seriously liits the speed witch you can engage multiple targets..mabey its because i train for close quarters fighting that i understand how easly that 4ft rifle can be redirected or moved and its just clumsy but thats just me

OK enough knife chatter, there's clearly enough interest in the topic for one of you guys to start a new thread. This is "Things Every Joe Should Know," not "Things Every Joe Should Know About Knives."

Back