Training But Little Gains?

^^^^
Hard agree with @DasBoot

To use movie character analogies:

People still have this perception that all SF/Ranger/MARSOC/etc dudes are all John Rambo or Dutch type yoked, when (in my personal experience) a good majority of dudes more closely resemble Ethan Hunt or Jason Bourne.

^^^^
Hard agree with @DasBoot

To use movie character analogies:

People still have this perception that all SF/Ranger/MARSOC/etc dudes are all John Rambo or Dutch type yoked, when (in my personal experience) a good majority of dudes more closely resemble Ethan Hunt or Jason Bourne.
You definitely have the monsters, they are more prevalent than I imagined when I got here (I grew up with my dad saying what you said, so I imagined everyone was actually pretty lanky and triathlete built). I think that is more old school- we have a picture of our Company after panama and the biggest dude is smaller than me. 33 min 5 mile string beans.

These days guys look more like NCAA wrestlers, hockey players and rugby hooligans. With the outlying Gronkowskis and Lance Armstrong's on the Big-Small scale.

I was 5'8" ,145# when I made it to my first ODA after training group (that's Boomer speak for the Q)....I could climb ropes like a mofo, run like a deer and keep up with a ruck on my back...and as my team sergeant liked to remind me, someone had to be boosted over walls,sneak in through tight spaces and be the first across a crevasse....not to mention the fact that I was less conspicuous than some of my Rambo-esque teammates....

Last edited:
Fuck getting bigger. As a 215 pounder I can say it sucks being bigger. I can still run, especially for a big boy, but if I was 185-195 it would be so much better. You can be strong as shit without being that big too- I know dudes who look scrawny and are deadlifting 4 wheels. Lift to be stronger, low reps high weight. And then run using a 10k training plan. If you stay the same weight who gives a shit. You’ll be more effective in whatever selection your pursue.
Also agree. There is very few things that I can say being bigger helps with, I'm 6ft 215lbs around 17% body fat. Cardio isn't an issue as long as its trained regularly. I started going macho man with all the lifting and the only thing it did for me was destroy my back and my shoulder to the point of where i got shot up with cortisole every week and got 2 hours of sleep on a good night. Not worth it. Get a macro counter, up your calories to around 2400-2800 and give your body time to recover. Your progress is going to come from your rest and how well you treat your body after. Getting in the habit of a good yoga routine and foam rolling is awesome for your body, Its the only thing that got my body back to being capable again. Prevent those injuries. When you get a handle on things look up videos and post about insulin sensitivity and how to play with it, having the knowledge is a great tool when losing or gaining weight.

Back