Training Mask: Anyone Use It?

• Thread starter Deleted member 2517
  • Start date
As always, i will defer to the ole standby- I cant speak for or against any one thing in absolute, and hey- if it works/worked for them, then good on them. I just disagree with its efficacy.

dont know if its been mention but in my down time or before workouts i use a little thing called expand a lung... works wonders especially when im doing water con...

I know this is an old thread but I just found it. The elevation training mask 2.0 is a marked improvement over the first one. It allows for gas mask training without having to have the mask covering your eyes. I've been using it for about a month and I love it. I can run further, longer with increased lung capacity and overall comfort without the mask now. And with it, as comfort levels increase, gas mask pt isn't as grueling. The body learns to use oxygen better, and more efficiently. A month in and I love it. Plus, you look like the biggest badass around. And that's always a good thing. rah

Guy on my team just bought one last week. Well see how long it takes to get through the FPO though.

That whole article I felt like he was about to sell me something. Then at the bottom lo and behold he was trying to sell me his DVD.

The source this comes from though says that there were no gains in short-term use.
You're right, the article may have been a bit biased. Here's another one that takes a little different tone (using oxygen restriction masks for mountain climbers). It says that they can reduce the effects of altitude sickness but no improvement in work performance.

I've been using mine for about a month now and i can definitely notice a difference in pulmonary capacity on road runs and aerobic intensive workouts. i use it during warm ups to a workout and on runs. i love it.

Many studies show that you "get the best of both worlds" with a live high, train low regimen. Instead of traveling constantly, athletes at sea level sometimes sleep in elevation tents. So I guess you could potentially benefit by using a training mask in a similar fashion, ie when you sleep not when you train (providing you don't suffocate yourself).

I just got version 2.0 for Xmas. I use it at my Crossfit gym and when Im doing my hourly 50 push ups I'm not qualified to get too deep into the science but I have been active a long time and would be hard pressed to believe there is ZERO improvement in work performance. However, we still have our final 5 miler, PT test and 12 miler when I get back so I'll be able to have a no shit comparison then.

I just got version 2.0 for Xmas. I use it at my Crossfit gym and when Im doing my hourly 50 push ups I'm not qualified to get too deep into the science but I have been active a long time and would be hard pressed to believe there is ZERO improvement in work performance. However, we still have our final 5 miler, PT test and 12 miler when I get back so I'll be able to have a no shit comparison then.
I'm curious to see your results.

I don't mean to hijack an old thread, but I was curious on your results. By looking at your profile and obviously the green color, you did something right. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the mask, but it seems like a lot of people like the new 2.0 mask. Do you (or anyone else that has used the mask) feel like it helped you at all?

I don't mean to hijack an old thread, but I was curious on your results. By looking at your profile and obviously the green color, you did something right. I've read a lot of mixed reviews on the mask, but it seems like a lot of people like the new 2.0 mask. Do you (or anyone else that has used the mask) feel like it helped you at all?

I like the mask though I don't use it regularly I would say it has helped me when I have used it but I'm also not gonna bullshit you and say I've used it consistently for a long enough period of time to provide concrete evidence...clear as mud right?

http://www.trainingmask.com/?gclid=CKfPh6X6s6oCFY_D7QodFQ2b9A
This "Training Mask" seems to be all the rage with a lot of athletes today, and I wanted to know if anyone has used one. Also- would it even be worth buying one? Part of me says "Wow that’s cool I should buy one I'd have some insane cardio!" but my logical side says "this sounds like asphyxiation waiting to happen..." Any input would be great.

Some of my Soldiers use one for running and CrossFit training. One is a 3/75 guy and he said it's pretty much like running in a pro-mask. The advantage is that you can adjust the amount of air-flow by changing the included "filter". Different hole sizes to simulate different altitudes. I thought about getting one myself. They seem a little pricey ($80), but it will be worth it if it works.

Back