"Unauthorized" Weapons

7point62

What are some of the personal or unauthorized weapons, if any, making the rounds these days?

My unit, which had very little supervision, had a variety of weapons pass through, including an old M-3 Greasegun, which I lugged around for a bit along with my M-16. It was a blowback 45 ACP. I did a FITH with it one day on my flak jacket and ended up picking the rounds out of the liner...and decided this was not a desired penetration. I think I gave it to an ARVN.

I also came across, and carried for a time, a S&W 38 Special. I thought it was great but I only had 4 bullets for it and couldn't seem find more. I ended up giving that to a friend, an ARVN sergeant, after I expended all 4 rounds.

I had a Bowie Knife, sent from home, which I gave to a Marine who was rotating because it had a white bone handle and a gleaming SS blade--thanks, Dad--a bit too flashy for night ops.

A number of authorized issue 12 ga pumps also made the rounds but were sent back as lacking in firepower.

Um, zero. If any are being used and someone is dumb enough to broach the subject on the Net I'd love to find out. That may be okay back in the day, but not in this day.

Wasn't there something early on in the Iraq campaign about guys being allowed to bring a personal pistol if they weren't issued one?

Wasn't there something early on in the Iraq campaign about guys being allowed to bring a personal pistol if they weren't issued one?

I'd be surprised given how illegal it is. MAYBE if a lot of paperwork was done but even then I'd be very, very skeptical. 1) Our military is run by lawyers now and they don't see the "need" for it and 2) I don't trust most Joes with issue weapons much less something they acquired elsewhere.

Far as I know, that has never been allowed - at least with conventional troops. I've heard stories from conflicts in the '80's, but I'm not willing to post them on the internet......:uhh:

I hadn't heard about that. I think any unit who had a commander who would actually authorize such a thing, would have the pistols they needed anyway :D Stranger things have happened though...

I would find it easier to believe that Joe would augment his basic load with weapons policed up off the battlefield.

I have 15 M-4 magazines, in my pouches... all have brand new WOLF Springs and MAGPUL followers in them. New baseplates too. Same goes for my M9 mags.

AFAIK, there is nothing saying you can't do that. The only issues I have had with ISSUE weapons, has been bad magazines.

Just sayin.

However, for this deployment I'm getting ready to embark on, I am bringing my Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator with me.

I heard rumors in the beginning of OIF that it was up to the BN Commander to authorize somebody to bring their personal sidearm, but it had to fire NATO ammunition and pass inspection by an armorer. I don't know of anybody that actually did it. I'm pretty sure it was all rumor.

As far as "unauthorized" weapons go, I saw an Army Major in OIF-2 that carried an Iraqi .45, along with his issued M-9 and M-4. He was part of a unit that convoyed through our AO. I think it was some kind of reserve logistical unit, but I laugh thinking about it to this day. I still wonder if he ever tried to fire that weapon.

I never requested permission to carry my Benchmade CQC7; does that count? :)

However, for this deployment I'm getting ready to embark on, I am bringing my Illudium Pu-36 Explosive Space Modulator with me.
Hahahahahahahahahahaha!!!! Ahhh, Looney Tunes, my favorite cartoons ever! :D

Attachments

• Marvin the Martian.bmp
    114.9 KB · Views: 61
I know a guy who took a shotgun with him during GW1, but he buried it in the sand before heading home, I know another guy who took a personal Beretta with him to Haiti because his unit ran out of M-9's.
But I doubt anyone would be dumb enough to admit doing that in todays over lawyered conflicts.

Um, zero. If any are being used and someone is dumb enough to broach the subject on the Net I'd love to find out. That may be okay back in the day, but not in this day.

Didn't mean to imply it was OK. It was not. Personal weapons were not permitted, although some men carried custom knives, switchblades, etc. But we came across many different weapons, French, Japanese, WW2 US, along with the AKs, RPGs, B-40's etc that we captured. M-1 carbines were fairly common. Being Marines, we looked upon some of these non-standard finds as curiosity items, toys--which we might fool around with for a few days before ditching them. I should have clarified that we did not adopt these weapons for tactical purposes...We carried 70 to 80 lbs of gear so hanging on to more weight, like a captured weapon, soon lost its novelty.

I guess I should have just asked "What kind of weapons are you coming across these days?" And left it at that.

On personal weapons, you could get 'em in easily, but not out.

On the .45, there are multiple units out there packing a 1911 or a Sig. All it takes is the right memo with the right signature.

Back