United States & Gun Control discussion.

Referencing Christopher S. Koper, “An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003.”
His findings were that the exceptions to the ban were the reason the ban didn't show significant short term results. He also concluded that the laws were written to be on-going and that there is evidence of long term effect. Gun violence (even suicide) is an issue in US that should be addressed rationally and this ban did show some promise. I personally don't think assault rifles are an issue whatsoever, but think that handguns are more of an issue as they count for the majority of gun-related crime. So yes, the Clinton ban didn't do any miracle but it was the closest thing to a law that worked, and showed some promise in the long term. As far as interpreting the results, the truth falls somewhere between LaPierre's and Feinstein's interpretations of the same study.

Unlike driving gun ownership is a protected right and I don't think you should have a database that pinpoints every gun owner.

Referencing Christopher S. Koper, “An Updated Assessment of the Federal Assault Weapons Ban: Impacts on Gun Markets and Gun Violence, 1994-2003.”
His findings were that the exceptions to the ban were the reason the ban didn't show significant short term results. He also concluded that the laws were written to be on-going and that there is evidence of long term effect. Gun violence (even suicide) is an issue in US that should be addressed rationally and this ban did show some promise. I personally don't think assault rifles are an issue whatsoever, but think that handguns are more of an issue as they count for the majority of gun-related crime. So yes, the Clinton ban didn't do any miracle but it was the closest thing to a law that worked, and showed some promise in the long term. As far as interpreting the results, the truth falls somewhere between LaPierre's and Feinstein's interpretations of the same study.

Considering most crimes that involve firearms, are those executed with pistols, I doubt the efficacy of a rifle ban.

But how much more security are you going to provide if you attempt to further limit my rights?

I doubt the buy back had much impact on the crime statistics in Australia. No one was carrying in the first place and last stand protect the castle style gun use has never been a big thing here.
The only real effects were felt by the guys who lost their weapons. Who by and large were using them for sporting purposes.

I doubt the buy back had much impact on the crime statistics in Australia. No one was carrying in the first place and last stand protect the castle style gun use has never been a big thing here.
The only real effects were felt by the guys who lost their weapons. Who by and large were using them for sporting purposes.

Injury Prevention 2004;10:280-286 doi:10.1136/ip.2003.004150

"Dramatic reductions in overall firearm related deaths and particularly suicides by firearms were achieved in the context of the implementation of strong regulatory reform."

Firearm related deaths: the impact of regulatory reform

Victims of violent crime (n per year)

These numbers go to 2013; the buyback occurred in 1996. Look at the climb in robberies (especially unarmed robberies), sexual assaults, and even kidnappings post-ban.

There is a definite increase in crime against persons following the buyback.

More later.
2001 was one hell of a year... :-o:-o:-o
This was obviously caused by the fact it was a new millennium and had nothing to do with the NFA! :troll:

Injury Prevention 2004;10:280-286 doi:10.1136/ip.2003.004150

"Dramatic reductions in overall firearm related deaths and particularly suicides by firearms were achieved in the context of the implementation of strong regulatory reform."

Firearm related deaths: the impact of regulatory reform

but statistical significance was reached only for suicide.

I was thinking more the assault/murder side of the coin. I'd assume a fair percentage of those firearms related suicides would have turned into hanging/OD/car left running in the garage/single vehicle accident on a straight road versus a big tree or oncoming truck style suicide.

What happens if Hillary gets elected? Another run on ammo and ARs? Eight years after Obama's election and I'm just now able to find a box or two of 22lr on the shelf at the local Wally World. :wall:

What happens if Hillary gets elected? Another run on ammo and ARs? Eight years after Obama's election and I'm just now able to find a box or two of 22lr on the shelf at the local Wally World. :wall:

If that's the case I will sell mine and finally fund the GAP or Iron Brigade Armory M40 .308 I have been wanting.....

Even if she does NOTHING in her first two years, good luck finding a gun or ammunition the day after the election.

I was thinking more the assault/murder side of the coin. I'd assume a fair percentage of those firearms related suicides would have turned into hanging/OD/car left running in the garage/single vehicle accident on a straight road versus a big tree or oncoming truck style suicide.

Lack of statistical significance does not imply lack of importance. Or that another factor didn't contribute to the fall in gun-related assaults, which happened.

<EDITED BY Ooh-Rah>

Deleting post because after looking at it again, the story is two years old.

Thought it was current when I posted it .

Last edited:
...and from the "I guess I haven't seen everything " file....

Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

....hopes the program will encourage people to think about gun violence as an infectious disease like Ebola, and a home inspection like a vaccine to help build up the city's immune system.

Lol. "Volunteer home inspection." I would have a copy of the Bill of Rights tacked on my door faster than Martin Luther tacked up his 95 theses in 1517.....

Whoa Seabiscuit!

Allow me to clarify: I believe most anti-gun politicians would like to see, in their perfect dream utopia, either the outlawing of all personally-owned firearms, or at the least, restrictive gun laws--akin to the UK's--enacted in this country. Eventually. I don't think gun owners will let them get that far, but who knows? And to me, gun laws as restrictive as the UK's are tantamount to the disarming of law-abiding citizens.

As far as actual physical confiscation, it'll never happen. It would set off the kind of violence we haven't seen in this country since 1865.

Disagree, as most of the gun owners will meekly turn stuff in when they lose their retire,emt check, SSDI, etc. Or momma begs her man to turn it in "for the children".

Yep.
What about ordering online?
Expect a Democratic Congress to kill on-line sales (can't have more than x amount per weapon)

Even if she does NOTHING in her first two years, good luck finding a gun or ammunition the day after the election.
Yep

And we say that gun owners aren't paranoid :rolleyes:

Why do you say this, the last 8 years of ammo shortages as the government buys/destroys ammo give a lot of people reason to think she will go after everything.

...and from the "I guess I haven't seen everything " file....

Beloit Police Ask Residents To Volunteer To Have Their Homes Searched For Guns

....hopes the program will encourage people to think about gun violence as an infectious disease like Ebola, and a home inspection like a vaccine to help build up the city's immune system.

"Police Chief Norm Jacobs said he doesn't expect the phone to be ringing off the hook with requests for police to search their homes."

Really? Ya think? What brand of crack have you been smoking, Chief? Legit gun owners won't be calling you. And if you expect da Boyz in da Hood to let the fuzz in, keep smoking.

Disagree, as most of the gun owners will meekly turn stuff in when they lose their retire,emt check, SSDI, etc. Or momma begs her man to turn it in "for the children".

Yes and no. Most law-abiding families may meekly go along with it, but I truly believe there would be many pockets of violent resistance. I've got homeboys over in Texas I know would start organizing. Hell, they're ready to go now. 8-):D

Back