United States & Gun Control discussion.

I'm sure this would the topic of another thread, but I don't think god or religion is necessary for morality. I also don't think school massacres happen because prayer/god was "removed."

Laws? You mean like the ones that say you can't bring a firearm into a federal building? HAH! Those laws are only for you plebs, we in the ruling class do what we like.

http://gma.yahoo.com/photos/virginia-lawmaker-brandishes-ak-47-house-floor-photo-145619174.html

A Virginia state lawmaker brandished an AK-47 on the floor of the state House of Delegates Thursday.
Virginia Del. Joe Morrissey, a Democrat hailing from the Richmond area, showed off the weapon while pushing for tighter gun-control laws, The Washington Examiner reported.

"A lot of people don't know that in many locations in the commonwealth, you can take this gun, you can walk in the middle of Main Street loaded and not be in violation of the law," Morrissey said on the floor, according to the Examiner, assuring other lawmakers that the gun was not loaded.
A subcommittee voted Thursday night to kill a bill Morrissey introduced that would have tightened gun controls in the state, The Roanoke Times reported. That bill would have banned the sale of so-called assault rifles and high-capacity magazines.
Morrissey notified police and made sure the gun was not loaded, the lawmaker told ABC News in a phone interviwe.
The point of the exercise, he said, was to show people the extremity of what's legal in Virginia, whichscores 12 out of 100 possible points on state-by-state ratings of gun-control laws by the Brady Campaign to Prevent Gun Violence. Morrissey said his gun brandishing left at least some impression on his fellow lawmakers.
"Some of my Republican colleagues came up to me today and said, 'I've heard of assault weapons, I had no idea what they're like,'" Morrissey said. "The clip I had in it was 30 rounds. Imagine a clip in three times this, imagine what you could do in a school."
Morrissey got the gun from"some people I know who happen to be gun enthusiasts"-who support expanded background checks but disagree with his push to ban weapons like the AK-47.
"I told them we would be using it for a demonstration," Morrissey said. "They see the point when I say, 'You can't fire a machine gun or a rocket launcher, so similarly, you may not like it, but I don't think you should be able to possess an assault rifle.' And while they don't agree with me on that point, we respectfully agree to disagree."
Morrissey lamented Virginia's laws allowing guns in the statehouse.
"As a delegate, I have the authority to bring guns into the chamber," Morrissey said. "Right now, there are members of the House of Delegates on the other side of the aisle that pack weapons."
He assumes the guns are loaded, he said, and he doesn't like seeing them in the assembly chamber.
"How about this," he asked, exasperated. "How about prohibiting firearms from coming into the General Assembly?"
I call complete BS on this:
"Some of my Republican colleagues came up to me today and said, 'I've heard of assault weapons, I had no idea what they're like,'"
If this is true I think the voters in Virginia would very much like to know who they were by name.

And I love how he's brandishing a weapon in public, mag in, bolt closed with his thumb inside the trigger guard and against the trigger.

ak47 legislator.jpg

Holy Jesus. Fuck if some of us are not fucking it up for all of us. Sorry about the gratuitous use of foul language but I believe it's situations like this one for which the"f" word was invented.

He must be the only one in the room qualified enough to handle a gun...

Whose credibility is degraded? It is the opinion of the grieving father of a murder victim (if this is even true).

Sorry sir, not yours, his. :-) Opinions are fine, but if this is true, then he was speaking before a legislative body with the power to propose laws one way or the other. If you are testifying/speaking in that venue, then it is my opinion that god and religion should be kept out of it and only facts and relevant anecdotes should be presented.

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/states-propose-gun-control/story?id=18253197

Some States Propose Gun Control Law, Others Say No To Federal Proposals

If you're thinking about the many ways this country is divided, look no further than the issue of guns. Since the president laid out his gun control proposals some states are proposing stricter laws while others say they won't enforce federal laws or the president's executive orders. Some are going a step further, aiming to make it a crime for a federal agent to try and enforce the law in their states.

The is an absolutely fascinating youtube video I just found that argues that we are completely ignoring the real issues that give rise to violence in America. It's about an hour of statistics, but it is well worth the viewing.

Takeaway line: "That which harms families harm children; that which harms children harms society."

I was just thinking about what a great smoke-and-mirrors thing this whole gun control debate is for the current administration. They have to know that they are never going to repeal the 2nd Amendment. They also know that in the knee-jerk reaction to these assinine gun laws that are cropping up, much of it isn't going to survive a legal challenge. But they're doing it anyway because 1) it plays very, very well to their base; 2) it serves to divide the country even further; and most importantly 3) it is a complete distraction from the other issues that the opposition would be focusing on if it wasn't fending off this anti-gun business.

Bengazi what? Financial Cliff, who? Budget controversy? War in Afghanistan and Iraq? "Fast and Furious," man why are you bringing up old shit? The issue right now is GUNS.

Bread and circuses...

But they're doing it anyway because 1) it plays very, very well to their base; 2) it serves to divide the country even further; and most importantly 3) it is a complete distraction from the other issues that the opposition would be focusing on if it wasn't fending off this anti-gun business.

Bengazi what? Financial Cliff, who? Budget controversy? War in Afghanistan and Iraq? "Fast and Furious," man why are you bringing up old shit? The issue right now is GUNS.

Slow down, cowboy. Now you sound like one of them there internet conspiracy theorists. Our government can be trusted. It would never, ever lie to We the People and in no way would any of our policies parallel the great despots of the 20th Century.

(insert maniacal laughter here)

I was just thinking about what a great smoke-and-mirrors thing this whole gun control debate is for the current administration. They have to know that they are never going to repeal the 2nd Amendment. They also know that in the knee-jerk reaction to these assinine gun laws that are cropping up, much of it isn't going to survive a legal challenge. But they're doing it anyway because 1) it plays very, very well to their base; 2) it serves to divide the country even further; and most importantly 3) it is a complete distraction from the other issues that the opposition would be focusing on if it wasn't fending off this anti-gun business.

4) When defeated by legal challenge, they will simply pass a different unconstitutional law preventing exercise of Second Amendment rights, rinse and repeat. All of which is funded by the taxpayer's dime.... (see Ezell v. Chicago, which was filed in response to unconstitutional measures adopted by Chicago in the wake of McDonald v. Chicago)

Is anyone even aware that Obama et al have just attacked the 1st Amendment?

The Secret Service gets to decide? Are those the same Secret Service Agents that party with prostitutes in Colombia? :D

I just talked with someone who tried to tell me that the phrase "well regulated" in the 2nd Amendment grants the President the authority to regulate gun ownership as he deems necessary.

My reaction:
JmEwt.gif

http://news.msn.com/us/kindergartner-suspended-for-comment-on-toy-bubble-gun

Hey Chopstick, isn't this up in your neck of the woods?

MOUNT CARMEL, Pa. — A 5-year-old Pennsylvania girl who told another girl she was going to shoot her with a pink toy gun that blows soapy bubbles has been suspended from kindergarten.
Her family has hired an attorney to fight the punishment, which initially was 10 days but was reduced to two.
Attorney Robin Ficker says Mount Carmel Area School District officials labeled the girl a "terrorist threat" for the bubble gun remark, made Jan. 10 as both girls waited for a school bus.
Ficker says the girl didn't even have the bubble gun with her and has never fired a real gun. He says she's "the least terroristic person in Pennsylvania."
School district solicitor Edward Greco tells pennlive.com that officials are looking into the case. He said school officials aren't at liberty to discuss disciplinary actions.

Back