United States & Gun Control discussion.

I apologize if this has already been replied to and said, hut I'm on my phone and about to go to bed and wanted to soot out this reply right quick. They've done it before during Katrina. The NOPD went on three news and said no one was to be permitted to have a firearm and subsequently went around with the NG and started confiscating firearms. They can do it.
That was under Bush so its a totally different ballgame under Comrade Obama. }:-)

I did some research over the past few days and wrote a lengthy letter to my representatives regarding what I found. I'm guessing it won't get read due to its length but I felt there was a lot to break down and explain. I attached it in pdf.

tl;dr: not much evidence that gun control works.

Attachments

I apologize if this has already been replied to and said, hut I'm on my phone and about to go to bed and wanted to soot out this reply right quick. They've done it before during Katrina. The NOPD went on three news and said no one was to be permitted to have a firearm and subsequently went around with the NG and started confiscating firearms. They can do it.

P.s. My phone's browser is being gay as phuck and not letting me go scroll back to fix the autocorrect errors, sorry.
On a NATIONAL basis?!

I did some research over the past few days and wrote a lengthy letter to my representatives regarding what I found. I'm guessing it won't get read due to its length but I felt there was a lot to break down and explain. I attached it in pdf.

tl;dr: not much evidence that gun control works.

Well done Marine!:thumbsup:

There is a radical difference between the confiscations that took place in New Orleans during Katrina and what would have to be done to accomplish the same thing nationwide.

I agree, however, government buy-back across the nation, further restrictions of gun ownership, new laws on the books being enforced over long period of time, along with lack of ability to buy new. It's kind of like the "long war" just on guns.

What I really cannot understand about this whole debate/argument is why should I be disarmed? Why should I not be able to own an AR15 or a 30 round magazine? What did I do, that warrants the removal of my liberties? Why should I be punished for the crimes of others? How is my community any safer by limiting me to 10 rounds, no AR15, etc?

At the end of the day, it all boils down to lawful gun owners being punished for crimes they did not commit. I am a pretty dumb dude, but I don’t remember reading/learning about how our government is allowed to punish its citizens for crimes they have not committed. As a matter fact, I thought people had to be proven guilty to be punished here…Those silly things like the constitution that separate us from the rest of the world.

I liked you

I liked your paper. And I love that you provided endnotes with sources.

After a quick reading, I noticed a number of minor errors ("effect" where you should have "affect," "having" instead of "have," etc.). You may see these as cosmetic, but they detract from the overall message and effect of your paper. I also thought it was too long for something to send to a Congressman; do you think you could shorten in dramatically and still convey the main points? (maybe it's not possible).

Next time you get ready to send something like this out, consider posting it up here on the site. I do that quite often, under the idea "none of us are as smart as all of us." Having more eyes on what you write helps detect errors and provides useful suggestions for improving the overall message.

Again, well done on the paper.

I liked you

I liked your paper. And I love that you provided endnotes with sources.

After a quick reading, I noticed a number of minor errors ("effect" where you should have "affect," "having" instead of "have," etc.). You may see these as cosmetic, but they detract from the overall message and effect of your paper. I also thought it was too long for something to send to a Congressman; do you think you could shorten in dramatically and still convey the main points? (maybe it's not possible).

Next time you get ready to send something like this out, consider posting it up here on the site. I do that quite often, under the idea "none of us are as smart as all of us." Having more eyes on what you write helps detect errors and provides useful suggestions for improving the overall message.

Again, well done on the paper.

Thanks for the compliments & critiques. I thought I caught all the errors before I sent it, and am bummed I missed some. That's what I get for rushing things. At the same time I was starting to kick myself for taking away time from Arabic & my senior research project (which I'll be sure to post up for review before turning in).

A friend wants to post it on his blog, so I'll tidy it up for that. I'm also working on a second part analyzing the Constitutional aspect, including Supreme Court decisions (that won't be out for a few weeks though).

I also agree with the length. I wanted to have it around one or two pages, but by the time I finished my rough draft I was close to twenty. I cut out a massive amount, especially where I went deeper into DGUs in regards to their effectiveness reducing home invasions, rape, and robberies. The problem I had was that at face value, to the average fence-sitting citizen unfamiliar with firearms, a lot of the gun control arguments seem logical. Part of this is unfamiliarity with firearms and how to analyze statistics. Short and sweet rebuttals are hard when you have to dissect one statistic into multiple parts (for me at least).

Thanks again for the comments all. They are much appreciated.

Panetta: "Only Soldier Need Assault Weapons"

http://news.msn.com/politics/only-soldiers-need-assault-weapons-panetta-says

Defense Secretary Leon Panetta joined the gun control debate on Thursday when he told troops at a military base in Italy that only soldiers needed armor-piercing bullets or assault weapons.
Asked by a soldier what President Barack Obama would do to protect school children from gun violence without infringing Americans' right to own guns, Panetta said action was needed after the attack on a Connecticut school in December in which a gunman killed 20 children and six adults.
He told members of the 173rd Airborne Brigade Combat Team at Vicenza that there were areas where steps could be taken. "I mean who the hell needs armor-piercing bullets except you guys in battle?," he said.
In the aftermath of the Connecticut shooting — the latest mass killing in the United States on a list that includes Columbine in 1999 and Virginia Tech in 2007 — Obama launched the biggest gun-control push in generations.
He asked Congress on Wednesday to approve an assault weapons ban and background checks for all gun buyers.
Panetta, who is on a week-long trip to Europe, was President Bill Clinton's chief of staff when the United States banned the sale of assault weapons in the 1990s.
"Unfortunately that ban went out of effect," he said.
He added that he was an enthusiastic hunter.
"I've been duck hunting since I was 10-years-old. I love to hunt and I love to be able to share that joy with my kids. But for the life of me, I don't know why the hell people have to have an assault weapon."

I love doing the *cough* "bullshit" *cough* thing in the Army, always good for a laugh and some dirty looks.

• What, if any new laws are acceptable at the federal level?
  • What can be done to strengthen the current system both in your state or on the federal level?

Back